Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Cintiq Sketches

Thanks. It took about 45 minutes, so I'm getting faster. I'll try to do another one today.

Guest toodef1

Not bad mate - a definite improvement. Are you using an ellipse template for that clean line work ?

Yep. Ellipse guides and a straight edge, my sweeps are still all at school.

Newest sketch:

n107500324_30111024_5232.jpg

Wow, from a technical point of view that is by far your best rendering so far. The surfaces are communicated very clearly, and the perspective is different from what you typically see (looks like it might be diverging just a titch at the front right, but it's not very noticeable). I like the lighting, too. Kudos!

The design is overly planar for my tastes, but whatever. How long did that take?

I can see the rational behind the more planar forms being from trying to construct them more accurately, and I have to commend the improvement. Many people try starting off with incredibly complex surfacing and then screw it up by having botched perspective or shading - keeping the forms simple but accurate really improves the quality of the whole rendering.

The design itself is a bit 80's - looks a bit like a pointy Ferrari Testarossa, but in terms of improvement it's a really good job and solid rendering. The little bit of depth of field is a nice touch.

Here's some of my process for that last one:

n107500324_30111035_6016.jpg

n107500324_30111034_4261.jpg

n107500324_30111033_2197.jpg

n107500324_30110785_7190.jpg

Got here and realized the passenger side everything was off, so I had to redo the linework.

n107500324_30111024_5232.jpg

Guest bngi

Hey cash, realllllly nice improvement on that last rendering. (not the doddles).

I love the almost cell-shading style of it, keep it up!

I have a question for you.

Now since youve used the cintiq for quite a while, what are the pros and cons of it? Something special that youve noticed beeing other than you'd expected?

Cheers!

Pros: It's easy to use, quick to use, and amazingly awesome in every way you can imagine. For all the sketches in this thread (except the doodles, which I did in a notebook, but then touched up in a cintiq), I started right on the cintiq, working in layers. The ability to draw but have an undo button is incredible.

Cons: I have a Cintiq 15x. It came out in I think 2001 sometime, so the resolution is kinda low (1024X768), and the biggest PITA is there are no buttons on the screen. I might buy a USB game pad and tape it onto the side of it, or something like that. It really needs at least the undo button on the screen, I'm not sure why they didn't think of that.

Guest huakakak

practice ur line works. in my opinion it is very destructive for your skill and feeling development if you always try to do it neatly.. try to get the feel of proportion and perspective first, and dont trace too much.. :) the result come with the time.. sorry for my english..

Guest under-dog
One gripe personally... it's hard to get the highlights 'sharp' in sketchbook. Anybody have any tips? All my cars look like they have a 'soft' paint finish, isntead of a glossy paint finish.

Most of the default brushes have a solid or soft edge. Try creating a custon brush with a hard edge.

This is as far as brushes in the software in the brushes are concerned. As far as technique.........thats another story