Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Cintiq Sketches

Well, I got my ghettofied Cintiq 15x working, and here are the results, after about an hour of dicking around with it:

n107500324_30104399_8961.jpg

I'm still figuring out Sketchbook, I just installed it tonight. Pretty awesome. I'm really really really loving this. I scored my cintiq, minus any cables, off ebay for $650. I found a generic laptop power supply with adjustable voltage on xoxide.com for $30, a DVI cable at best buy for $20, and the USB cable has a funk connector so I had to special order it from Wacom for another $20. Still. It's a working cintiq, and I LOVE IT. :)

One gripe personally... it's hard to get the highlights 'sharp' in sketchbook. Anybody have any tips? All my cars look like they have a 'soft' paint finish, isntead of a glossy paint finish.

Guest fblacka
One gripe personally... it's hard to get the highlights 'sharp' in sketchbook. Anybody have any tips? All my cars look like they have a 'soft' paint finish, isntead of a glossy paint finish.

well ... i think thats not about the software, rather understanding shapes, materials ... and what a glossy surface does ... the keyword is reflection ... i suggest looking at cars or car pics and try to understand whats going on ...

Guest Jay08

The proportions in the first ones are odd. I dont know what it is but theres something not quite right...Possibly the spoiler perspective and the thick black line throws it.

The last one is ok. Though the highlights on the headrest are a bit weird considering the form they appear on.

You ve gone to town on the black backing. whats with the scratchyness??!

I think the car needs grounding and also, I m not sure the headlight suits the car at all, or infact the front end and the back end dont marry up at all!

The headrests remind me of a 1972 mercedes 300 SLR, you know the Sterling Moss one, and the front end, a Toyota! I dont know why but it does!

The body highlights need work round the wheel arches and why is the back end light at the bottom and dark at the top? When would light be hitting it from the underside unless it was placed on a mirror...

The proportions in the first ones are odd. I dont know what it is but theres something not quite right...Possibly the spoiler perspective and the thick black line throws it.

The last one is ok. Though the highlights on the headrest are a bit weird considering the form they appear on.

You ve gone to town on the black backing. whats with the scratchyness??!

I think the car needs grounding and also, I m not sure the headlight suits the car at all, or infact the front end and the back end dont marry up at all!

The headrests remind me of a 1972 mercedes 300 SLR, you know the Sterling Moss one, and the front end, a Toyota! I dont know why but it does!

The body highlights need work round the wheel arches and why is the back end light at the bottom and dark at the top? When would light be hitting it from the underside unless it was placed on a mirror...

The front reminds you of a toyota because the headlamps are similar in form to a celica. I'm not looking for comments about the design so much as the sketching technique... personally I think the car's design is a pile of dung, I'm just trying to practice rendering. :):) Thank you for your comments though, I'm going to try to do another one today.

Check out sites like http://www.carbodydesign.com/ - Also look at portfolios on Cardesignnews.com. Look at what other people do well and what makes their renderings pop. Your renderings are coming out very soft because you're just trying to fill areas with color. Take some time before you start coloring and sketch out where you want your highlights and shadows to appear. Sharp highlights are what cars bring out the most, and you have none of those. Use a big airbrush on a new layer to add a highlight, then ERASE through the core of highlight to give yourself a sharp edge that fades out into a smooth gradient. I keep almost all my highlights/shading on new layers so I can go back in and change them after the fact.

Also watch your perspective. The perspective on the side of the last rendering is ok - but once you get to the front you've drawn it like it was a side view, you should be able to see much more of the front end.

Yeah, but even the hard erase tool in sketchbook has a soft edge. If I switched into photoshop I'm sure I could achieve more of what I'm wanting to do... but isn't sketchbook supposed to be for this purpose? I'm trying different tools and techniques each time, and I still haven't found a good one yet.

The soft edge on the hard eraser is very thin - work on a larger canvas, and if you need the edge tighter, use a small brush to cut away the edge and a fat brush to get rid of the excess. You can also experiment with custom brushes that allow for more control.

Check out some of the work from this guy: All Alias and shows you what the softwares capable of once you get a solid hold of it.

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...ic=5816&hl=

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...ic=6597&hl=

I tried pushing the highlights, like you said, I also did a bit more detail work, and removed the 'scratchy' background.

n107500324_30105149_1761.jpg

Guest fblacka
I tried pushing the highlights, like you said, I also did a bit more detail work, and removed the 'scratchy' background.

n107500324_30105149_1761.jpg

better ... u should use some black on the red to get a nice contrast ...

Nice wheels - they're the same ones I have on my TL for the summer.

The designs kind of funky (the whole car seems like it wants to be bigger, try giving yourself a little bit of wheel gap and not wrapping the body around the tires so much) but the rendering itself is looking cleaner.

Yeah, they're oversized, but that's the case with most concepts. You're right about the body wrapping around them though, I don't know how I forgot that. I'll fix it tonight. ;) It tried adding the highlights, and then using the hard erase tool to erase the highlights away to the core of the highlight. I think that helped it look a little shinier.