Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Miro

Line Work....

Guest Miro

Okay guys. There are quite a few here that are pretty good at line work. I am interested to know how you guys achieeve such an extreme difference in line width, shade, etc.

I know a lot of you use Wacom tablets as well. For those that have a good technique of getting a crisp line that looks nice (non fuzzy), I would like to get some tips, maybe tutorials.

Please help me out. I would really apreciate it.

If you are looking for a professional tutorial - you should buy some of Harald Belkers DVD's - They are very nice, and has lots of sketching sessions where you can se how he makes his line work.

Actually he uses the path tool in photoshop a lot to make his lines, and off course he has a tablet too.

How to make the lines by pencil is another thing... Think it is all about pen and pressure control. Quite difficult to explain and even harder to do.

/tbroen

btw. Harald Belkers site: Harald Belker

Guest Miro

i have noticed that a lot of the people here use corel painter for their line and rendering.

Any tips on how to use it? I just downloaded the 30 day free trial.

Make as much as you can of a line in one stroke. Start the next segment by going over a previously made line to hit the angle just right. Use the undo command, a lot. Don't be surprised if you have to undo a stroke 30-50 times - it happens. Use rotate canvas and zoom to better fit your elbows/arms movement.

I consider painter to be the best digital sketching software because of its' hotkeys, they improve the workflow a tremendous amount. I hold my left hand on the bottom left of my keyboard and use these:

Space = pan view

Ctrl+space+LMB (left mouse button, which equals to a tap on the tablet) = zoom in

Ctrl+alt+space+LMB = zoom out

Space + alt = rotate canvas (space+alt+ a single tap/click to return to the default position)

Ctrl + space = resize brush

Guest demha

Miro, do you mean pen pressure on actual pen and paper sketches? I always start with a very light base sketch, then as i visualize the design on the basic car shape, i darken the lines. this makes the sketch to have a variation of lines, some thick, some light, and it gives it a nice, rough feel. When i draw lines, i dont stop directly where the lines is supposed to finish, i let me arm continue slightly as i lift the pen, this naturally creates a pressured line weight. *i'm writing this at 3am, so i dont know if it makes any sense*

Guest Miro

yes, what you guys said makes sense. Basically what i am looking to get out of this is to see, if people use paper and pen, if they use software, tablets....what kind of pen, paper, what software, what shortcuts, techniques. The whole bunch.

Whatever it is you guys use, i want to know about.

So, lets say you use painter. Ok, what about the brush. What kind of brush, pen? What about specifics? If it is a felt pen, what kind of felt pen?

How would one achieeve that hand like effect on the computer?

Anything basically. Whatever you guys can help me with, i will appreciate a lot.

Guest Miro

An example will be the car linedrawing that Forgasi did on page 6 of his post in ps sc.

I have a wacom tablet. If that's what helps, how can i get such clean lines?

Practice, of course, but i am not even that good. Can i do it? Can i pull it off?

i am so confused.