Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest csven

"a Glimpse Of Things To Come"

Guest csven

NPR interviews Syd Mead: Link

-

I thought the comment regarding holographic imaging was odd. Back when "Star Wars" was released in the 1970's (yep, I remember seeing that at the movie theater back then), people were predicting holographic displays long before now.

On "renting" media, I simply think he's wrong. In my opinion media will be free and tied to something else. Recent moves in the music industry bear that out (for now).

It was nice to hear him mention chameleon fabrics and paints. I was recently referring to those same technologies in blog entries; e.g. "The Reputation Chameleon".

Decent interview. Just too short.

I won't speculate whether he is right or wrong in his assumptions, but I will say that nothing he said wowed me. Rather than having my imagination captured, I thought "don't we have that already?". Perhaps I missed the point of the interview though, I don't know.

I just want to put it out there that people speculate that the coming 5 years, we will see an advancement in technology equal to what we had the last 50 years. Take it with a grain of salt, but say 15 years from now when all the nano-stuff currently in the labs becomes commercial, I am sure the world is bound to change to something radical. I think (read hope) the ambitions for change will focus on efficiency (environment, productivity, logistics, etc) while Syd's focus seems to be on the individual, specifically personal comfort and entertainment.