Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest firecracker

Tablet Advice

Guest firecracker

hello there,

I currently have a generic A5 sized graphics tablet which I think I bought for £15 - $30

Its reliable, works well and has a good deal of pressure sensitivity in it.

I always wondered what all the fuss was about WACOM's ?

What is so special about them, why do some cost several hundred £'s ?

Would I benefit from switching mine to an entry level small wacom tablet?

Something under £100 - $200 ?

I suppose the only way for you to know is to try one out. If you are still satisfied with the results and effectiveness of your current tablet, then no, there is no apparent reason to switch.

The fuss is about pressure sens, resolution, no-battery-pen, shortcut buttons and scroll bars, reliable software and application support.

Guest Bori de'Leon

I got Intuos3 A4 and it's something way better than any tablet i had before. You really need to try one out in order to understand how much better it is than anything on the market.

Guest A17
I suppose the only way for you to know is to try one out. If you are still satisfied with the results and effectiveness of your current tablet, then no, there is no apparent reason to switch.

The fuss is about pressure sens, resolution, no-battery-pen, shortcut buttons and scroll bars, reliable software and application support.

Oh I am so not missing the opportunity to ask this:

Wacom Tablets Don't require batteries for their Pens? It's not internal is it? iif not, why do other tablets have battery-requirements?

Im still looking for a tablet, I am interested in the Bamboo 6x4, but my parents refuse to buy it since they find it too small. I read some reviews 2 minutes ago, and everyone loves it.

For instance, if i were to draw something on Sketchbook with this small tablet, would it be hard to draw let's say.. a car?

Does it makes that much of a difference from it 512 pres. to 1024 pres? 512 gives a decent result, no?

Guest Bori de'Leon

Wacom have several patents among such those are tilt control and battery-less pen and mouse.so they pretty much have the edge.

Guest sketch
Does it makes that much of a difference from it 512 pres. to 1024 pres? 512 gives a decent result, no?

If you use a graphics tablet everyday to sketch, you would tell the difference, the result is way better.

A simple way to understand - you can sketch on toilet paper with a fat marker; or you can sketch a marker paper with a decent pen. It’s an exaggerated example - but you get the idea.

Guest firecracker

If you use a graphics tablet everyday to sketch, you would tell the difference, the result is way better.

A simple way to understand - you can sketch on toilet paper with a fat marker; or you can sketch a marker paper with a decent pen. It’s an exaggerated example - but you get the idea.

Ive heard of a lot of skilled people using flip screen laptops for drawing.

As far as I know they have 0 pressure sensitivity, just on/off and poor resolution.

Yet they seem to manage.

I have a large generic tablet too which is between a4 & a3 size. I am going to start using it soon as my a5 one is looking tiny now.

But I must say it serves me fine, it does not feel awkward drawing something"large" on it.

As personally that is the same size that i would draw something like a car anway on paper.

And I feel I get as much detail/pressure sensitivity that I can use.

I used to do a lot of drawing in paint when I was younger simply using a mouse.

I got some great results with that even.

When first using a tablet, even a tiny one - you realise how little you actually move a mouse, as mouse pointers are not directly proportional to hand movement.

An A5 one feels enormous compared to a mouse.

Guest A17

i just got a bamboo fun today, and I gotta say i don't feel the 512 pressure sensitivity, its like a on/off function..

edit: never mind there IS the 512, i jsut never press hard enough

Ive heard of a lot of skilled people using flip screen laptops for drawing.

As far as I know they have 0 pressure sensitivity, just on/off and poor resolution.

Yet they seem to manage.

I have a large generic tablet too which is between a4 & a3 size. I am going to start using it soon as my a5 one is looking tiny now.

But I must say it serves me fine, it does not feel awkward drawing something"large" on it.

As personally that is the same size that i would draw something like a car anway on paper.

And I feel I get as much detail/pressure sensitivity that I can use.

I used to do a lot of drawing in paint when I was younger simply using a mouse.

I got some great results with that even.

When first using a tablet, even a tiny one - you realise how little you actually move a mouse, as mouse pointers are not directly proportional to hand movement.

An A5 one feels enormous compared to a mouse.

Some of those flip screen laptops like the tecra m7 use the wacom technology and do have a nice bit of sensitivity. Not quite as good as a cintiq but definitely not like one of the generic on/off versions. Some people who use both can barely tell the difference. You just have to do your research to find the right one. I've never used anything other than the wacoms and the tecra tablet pc so I can't compare them to lesser models.

Guest A17

why is that my pen tip starts to erode? Like, I noticed it's not in its round normal shape. there's deformity..

are all tablet pen tips suppose to erod like this? or is it because i'm pressing hard?

is there something i can do to prevent it from further erosion?

Guest bngi

Did you get any extra tips for your pen? I did for my intuos tablet. The tips does deform, depending on how hard you press it against the tablet i guess.

Guest A17

oh that sucks No wonder i got those extra tips... If i was to replace, do I just pull out the nib?

So much for getting the Intuos If a 512 already deforms at that point.

Guest bngi

Havent found out how to exchange tip. But it was something like "just pull it out with tweezers". not sure though.

Did u get different tips or just plain plastic? Got one that was supposed to resemble graphite and one with a spring + the plastic ones.

If your a serious designer, I think getting anything below 9x12 inchs or in some cases maybe the area of the screen of a tablet PC would not work.

I need at least 9x12 for sketching, it just feels way too convoluted with anything smaller then that!

You should not need to press so hard you damage the nib. There is a control panel adjustment for the pressure to make it so you don't need to push as hard for it to register a "full force" stroke.

I only use the standard nib, but they should last just about forever. The only time I ever damaged one was because I was using it to pry something open. To exchange them just get a pair of tweezers (or bite on the nib and pull it out with your teeth) and slide the new nib in.