Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Irl_Designer

Sketching Do's And Dont's

Guest Irl_Designer

Hey, hoping for a bit of input here. I'm teaching myself to draw from scratch - and just need a few basic guidelines and tips to start me off. Been at it for a while and seeing improvements already, but at the same time I'm thinking I should be moving quicker for the time I've put in.

I've forced myself out of old habits like relying on a ruler, and have thrown out the rubber for the time being. If I make a mistake I either go over it lightly or move on instead of spending more time fixing it up. I've gone through god knows how many A2/3 sheets in the last few weeks and have been putting objects down in front of me to draw at different angles and projections.

All in all, it's going well. But could we get a top 10 of do's and don'ts when it comes to sketching.

I'm guessing obvious no. 1 'do' would be 'practise, practise and more practise'.

Any takers?

Guest toodef1

1. Use pen not pencil. (the temptation to erase is gone, making you think and be more selective before you draw)

2. Draw on A3

3. Use your Elbow not your Wrist

4. Allways use construction lines to define the axis and perspective points.

5. Do a 'virtual' path say 10mm of the paper with your pen to contextualize what you are going to laydown

6. Lay down quick & soft lines to begin with, then build the drawing up

6a. Try keeping your wrist of the paper - letting only the pen/cil touch the paper - less friction, more smoothness

6a. Twist the paper round as you go, rather than your hand

7. Don't go over a section you've F**ked up. It draws attention to your mistake

8. Use some butterpaper or tracingpaper and build up to a stellar drawing, perfecting mistakes as you go

9. Keep your drawings. For reflection & progression.

10. Don't give up

My top ten - in a good order too ;) (edited 5 times now too !)

Cheers,

H

Guest A17

1) use arm not wrist (already mentioned)

2) concept sketches, time yourself, 2-3mins. sketch as fast as you can, ignore mistakes , whatever comes to your mind put it down on that paper. Then with another piece of paper, place it on top and trace it, at the time same refining proportional and other mistakes you encounter. (again, mentioned)

3)Draw with a pen because this way your less likely to smudge your work surface (mentioned)

4) try to learn to sketch without having to rest your hand on the surface, Im trying myself its a lot sloppier but with enough practice, it'll come..

5) when you are taking it to the shading stage, use hatching methods. And try to think about depth, highlights and shadows as yo do this because you are using a pen afterall.

6)Don't scratch out anything as this can become inspirational to something else irrelevant to whatever you are doing.

7)learn to freehand more rather than using templates/rulers as this can be useful in times when those are not availible to you.

8)take into account the focus of your work. For example, you are drawing a car at a 3/4 view. You want your sketch to be dynamic, so to do this add more detail and bring up the contrast where the spot is closest to the car (usually one of the main corners). And wherever is farther don't put as much shading, or detail. This gives a Focal Point, to your work so the Client/ Audience knows what you want to point out.

9)Avoid the temptation to make thick and/or dark outlines of whatever your drawings as this makes your object look like a carcature and not a render..

that's all i can think of..Now i got to get back to my text art assignment

good tips toodef1 and a17

some tips that might improve your sketching skills:

- draw 20 a4 papers full of sketches per day (yeah practis a lot is the key)

- draw big: one product one a4/ or 4 products on one a4 (depends on product size)

- evaluate your own sketches, ask co-students or tutors to give feedback, or post it here. try to understand why your sketches dont look good and how to do it in a different/better way

Guest A17

oh yeah i almost forgot about that one..

"learn to accept criticism", and "to critisize". Criticizing helps the viewer build on problem solving and the artist how to improve.

and try to remember that criticism is meant to help, not put down. Some people confuse the two and might get testy about it.

Yeah I reckon waikit's advice is pretty solid. Ill also add;

- Stick to pen and paper only, no colours yet

- Get some reference, draw both with and without it

Also best way to learn is to have a good professional to amature connection. Do a class, watch sketching DVDs, participate in forum activities, grab some books from the library, youtube videos, buy gadget magazines...

Never think the sketch or drawing is perfect.. it might be good enough for what it's meant for, but keep looking for ways to improve yourself.

For the rest I would only repeat what's already been said :)