Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest vittos

3d Printing, The Next Revolution?

Guest csven

I either already stumbled upon this somewhere and neglected to bookmark it or I imagined it was coming, but via the Mass Custom blog I just read details regarding Genometri's spin-off, JuJups - http://www.jujups.com/jujups2 (goes nicely with my last blog entry - http://blog.rebang.com/?p=1438).

-

When Genometri's CEO quizzed IDers (on Core) as to whether it would be a useful tool for them, I was one of those who didn't think it would be adopted by the typical designer crowd, and suggested it would play more to untrained people. Seems he's taken those comments to heart (I'd re-iterated them in an offline exchange as well).

I'd watch this one.

I love that concrete house printing! Great idea. There was a similar proposal on the table from Fosters Architects some years ago for building mega skyscrapers whereby they used robots on a climbing gantry to assemble the prefabricated sections, but this takes it to another level.

Did anyone see this as well?

http://www.mcortechnologies.com/

Guest csven

@KQD - I recall seeing the paper RP. What I've been looking for though is an RP that uses pulp. Anyone seen or heard of a machine that's making forms using pulp?

Guest csven

My latest column for Futurismic gets into some potential future issues with 3D fabbing. Here's the link for anyone interested: "When 3D spam got old".

To put it in context, it's part of the SuperStruct future forecasting game that's launching next week and which I mentioned earlier. For me personally, the effort is kicking up some really nice concepts.

Guest CoolDesignJohn

Has anyone here used Shapeways 3D DIY printing. They just released a brand new material called Black Detail, perfect for anyone interested in creating any kind of cool Halloween designs. There's more info here: Black Detail material info. It's a great price too.

Guest jmc

A Z-Corporation rep came in my RP class this afternoon and talked about the way their 3D printers really are the best on the market at the moment.

The Model 450, for example, has a considerably faster processing than the rest of the 3D printers on the market, working 2x or 3x faster. It also is the only company to make some colored 3D printing.

If I remember well, the 450 is around 60k USD and the 650, the new high-end model is over 80k USD.

The rep had many samples of printed prototypes and there was a lot of possibilities there. There was a flexible Halloween mask made by 3D printing. An additive has been added to the original prototype to transform the material into an elastomer. That was amazing.

There was also a bone, probably from a leg, that was actually made out of real bone powder instead of the standard powder for 3DP. It's really amazing.

He also told us about some services offered by Z-Corp customers such as World of Warcraft. You make a custom character on WoW and you can buy a Prototype of it online! There's also a kind of 3D map creator, a little bit liek Google Earth. You choose a spot on Earth, anywhere, and the company will 3D print the part of Earth you've asked for in color with all the details.

It's pretty expensive but it shows how far RP now goes!

Guest csven
A Z-Corporation rep came in my RP class this afternoon and talked about the way their 3D printers really are the best on the market at the moment.

The Model 450, for example, has a considerably faster processing than the rest of the 3D printers on the market, working 2x or 3x faster. It also is the only company to make some colored 3D printing.

If I remember well, the 450 is around 60k USD and the 650, the new high-end model is over 80k USD.

Z-Corp stuff is nice, but don't get carried away. The new Dimension uPrint is under $15k and almost certainly has better materials for usable product testing. And the Z-Corp models still don't come close to the finish of an SLA or even some SLS machines, let alone an Objet print. It's big advantage, afaic, is color.

The rep had many samples of printed prototypes and there was a lot of possibilities there. There was a flexible Halloween mask made by 3D printing. An additive has been added to the original prototype to transform the material into an elastomer. That was amazing.
So they infiltrated the porous Z-Corp print. I'd not imagine that can hold a candle to some of Objet's elastomers, though I'd like to see it.

There was also a bone, probably from a leg, that was actually made out of real bone powder instead of the standard powder for 3DP. It's really amazing.
That's actually where Z-Corp is interesting to me. There are also people who print using a ceramic powder and fire the pieces in kilns. Cool stuff there.

He also told us about some services offered by Z-Corp customers such as World of Warcraft. You make a custom character on WoW and you can buy a Prototype of it online! There's also a kind of 3D map creator, a little bit liek Google Earth. You choose a spot on Earth, anywhere, and the company will 3D print the part of Earth you've asked for in color with all the details.
Considering Figureprint - the company that print WoW characters - is mentioned in the third comment on this thread (dated 1997), I'm guessing you didn't follow that link.

It's pretty expensive but it shows how far RP now goes!
The good stuff is the EBM and DLM of metals, which yields high-quality parts. I'm guessing you are unaware of the recent Shapeways competition.

All this said, I've been researching some of the downside of these developments and will post a link to the column discussing those things in a few weeks or so.

Guest Buff

Anyone come accross Shaped Metal Deposition (SMD)?

Also, anyone seen the Objet Alaris30?, What is it's price? I'm quite inetersted in ths or the Eden, allong with MCP vac casting, it seems to be a good all round combo?

Opinions please

TIA

Guest csven
Anyone come accross Shaped Metal Deposition (SMD)?
I've come across it in my reading but know next-to-nothing about it. I should make an effort to find out something. Will update this thread if I learn anything interesting.

Also, anyone seen the Objet Alaris30?, What is it's price? I'm quite inetersted in ths or the Eden, allong with MCP vac casting, it seems to be a good all round combo?
Could swear I saw someone list a price for the Alaris ... somewhere. I bet if I post a tweet asking one person I know will have an answer.

Any idea what a smallish vacuum casting rig costs? I was actually thinking of RP'ing molds and casting from them, but they're less forgiving/shorter run than silicon. This would be a step up.

Guest Buff

The SMD Q was a bit loaded. I worked on SMD, and was wondering how far the technology may have spread in the last few years. From what I can gauge, not to far.

As a RP system it's actually quite good IMO, but the attemt to mak it into a production method, got off on the wrong foot if you ask me. I suspect that the excitement of what SMD can do as a RP process, overshadowed clear thinking about how to take it forward into production. That and IMO too many influances from non-manufacturing engineering personell and the ME dept wasnt that strong either. All that I think has stunted its development, with a few people having got their fingers burnt and newcomers being over cautious.

I'll check out th prices for the Objet and MCP vac casting kit and post my findings, perhaps the week after next