Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest gerard

Photoworks rendering tips

In the pull down menu in the illumination Tab of the shader, set the type of material to "Constant" This option is available in Solidworks 2004 and is the same thing as "Dark Room Ceiling"

I use SWX 2005 SP0 with PWX2. The spotlight in 2005 is a lot better to control. There is no significant improvement in spotlights beyond ease of use (which vastly improved over 2004). You can control the cone angle, location etc by editing spotlight properties. With indirect illumination you need a whole lot less light from each light source. Tone your brightness down to prevent overlit scenes. You are right, if you want only a portion of the model lit you can do so by the way you position the light

Your render looks a lot better BTW. The design looks pretty clean. Is this a personal project or are you modeling an existing unit for archival/future design purposes? What were your final material selections and settings. Your lighting element glass turned out pretty well

Guest gerard

OK, so this is the kind of rendering photoworks can do for you with a bit of patience...

Rendering settings:

Indirect Illumination set to lowest settings (not much difference in the rendering, but takes a lot longer to render if set to maximum)

Raytracing:

# reflections: 1

# refractions: 6

The scene:

room is 2500*2500 and roof is at 1000 from floor.

Background color set to: none

Studio with floor material type set to mate, material ceramic

Roof, mat type set to constant.

Lightning

2 directional lights, one in front, one on the back:

intesity: 0.3

specularity: 1

Hope this helps others

chers,

Gerard

PS. Parel, this is something I did a couple of years ago for the agency I used to work for....You should be able to find it on the market if you ever go to spain...

post-23-1109118358.jpg

Guest sojouner

When i worked with photworks we applied water as the property of the "glass" it seemd to give a lot better finish :unsure:

Chrome was an issue as well , not sure if i thas been sorted yet.

How have others done chrome(Polished)?

Cheers guys

Guest akgraphics

vandanium (sp?) his a pretty good metal/chrome -imitator under the metals tab in SWX 2005. A little dark though, though that could have been my environment.

Guest MrG

Hi guys I am having many painfull hours trying to get my renders near something that looks decent. I have a few questions??

Why is it when you select a material from teh material editor in photoworks drop down menu, it doesnt always allow you to select it. The previe window doesnt change?? is that me . the lighting not allowing it to be shown..usually it just defaults to grey ..

Whats the difference between the material editor in the solidworks section..is this for testing the strength of certain material in cosmos???

Also I am a design student so alot of the stuff I produce is going to be plastic.. What are the plastics that can be used to simulate typical products.. like the mouse demo by "PAREL"..BTW thanks .. PAREL you have provided soooooooooo much help..

gerard what materaila diud you use?

hellllppp!!!!!

thanks .. I love this forum!!

Guest Robomod

Whew! I've been struggling with Photoworks all afternoon, and it's starting to really make sense. It actually is a strong renderer. I hopped on the forum knowing that there were some answers here.

Forget about the lighting setups through Pworks, they stink. Look at the feature list. See the lighting feature? Right-click to add another light. I takes a little fiddling, but it's quick. If you set the light, there is a Photoworks tab, and on the tab there's a box that keep your lighting setup for Pworks.

And the materials suck at first, but pick anything. After you do, a bunch of options pop up, and one of them is "color," and theres another to change it to "shiny" "metal" "plastic"- whatever.

It's still cruchtime for me- We are having our class presentations at HP. I'll show some tips over my break, but trust me- it has all the same stuff rhino/flamingo has, and it ends up looking better. I was scared a few hours ago, but thing are looking better every render.

Good luck to those who are crunchin right now.

ps- Thanks PDF.com

Guest joeschmoe

post-5039-1143244603.jpg

Well I followed the guide and think it worked?

Normally use lights, but this route seems quite repeatable.

Cheers

Guest NonkelJef

Very nice, came across this site googling for some tuto's.

I'm new to this kind of stuff.

This is what i want to learn too, thanks for the tips.

This really impresses me.

Cheers NonkelJef

Guest Daan

I have one comment with using indirectg illumination: if I change the background in the scene editor to anything but "none", I get a very bright render. Even if I choose plain black, the scene is hellishly bright.

Guest RobMay
Create a surface plane and set the material to "Dark Room Ceiling" Use this as a diffused light source

I have been trying to follow your help on photoworks but got stuck here. How do i create a surface plane? do i just simply model a rectangular surface? Also how do I add individual lights and view them in the scene like you have done with your spotlight?

Same problem, I can't find any surface lights...

Solidworks needs to figure out a way to make the Photoworks interface more consistent btw, I keep getting lost.. it appears there are a couple of different ways to setup a render, different wizards and whatnot.. quite confusing.

How do i create a surface plane

Yeah you simply model it in. It isnt a light in the sense that the directinal lights and spotlights are.

The way to make gemoetry act as lights is to turn indirect illumination on, then modify the shader of the geometry. Check within the Illumination Tab in Photoworks, and in the drop down menu, where it says Matte, Plastic, Satin etc, there is a setting called constant. This will allow geometry to behave as lights.

Renzsu the Render Wizards generally turn out crap renders. You almost always get a good rendering only through manual control.

Guest Jeff

Great article, definitely helped... i have a couple questions, one in regards to applying a material to a Surface plane... I created my plane by making a plane thru an end point and a line... When i select the Plane and try to apply a material, it selects my whole assembly instead of the plane... How do you get the material to stick to a plane? also, how do you make solidworks not re-render everytime you make a slight modification to a light location? I know i can hit the stop button, but there has to be a better way than that i would think... any help you can provide would be great... Thanks...

Jeff

Oh yeah, i am running SW2006 SP4.1 ... thanks..