Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lilith

Learning How To Draw

Guest Lilith

Cyberdemon thanks for your time , here are some fast sketches (for simple lectern and award stand) with messy lines (will try material renderings this week, thanks for advice)

lectern.jpg

P3NGU1N thank you, yes i have some issues with perspective, need to work more and more and thanks for advice on darkening the bottom line :cheers:

i also managed some doodles :)

doodles.jpg

Guest Miro

Hey, you got skills. I don't know how you really feel about yourself, and how far you want to go, but you are very close.

Those sketches are amazing Lilith.

Your line work is fantastic, and your perspective is good.

You got that artsy kinda style.

Guest xonegon
Those are amazing! Wow.

Why are you worried again? lol

If you can draw like that and are worried about your skills, then i don't know what to say about myself. I should be crying....haha.

snif snif :)

Guest T_Baxter

Hi guys,

check this out: "The making of product design renderings" by Oliver Neuland.

This is a DVD with a full marker rendering course.

It is in English, German and Japanese and shows the whole process of creating marker renderings from simple shapes to complex products.

Trailer:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Bwb-VRnB8

get it here:

http://www.holtz-gmbh.de/shop?000000470000...000000c533fc75e

unfortunatly most of the website is in German...

Guest MacPhail

Hi Lilith,

This is a great thread. It's nice to see the progression of your thoughts as you work on the project. I am liking the sketches so far. The exploration of forms from existing products and how they would relate into staplers is very intriguing. I would agree with some of the other comments that some shading would help the sketches a bit. Keep it up though. It's looking like its coming together. If you are working traditionally, just a quick splotch of a 30-50% in the shaded areas of the forms can really make them pop. I like the presentation boards as well. They show the progression of thought very well.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing more posts.

P

Guest fblacka

hey ... those people doodles are really nice ... especially love the first sketch on the left side ... try to use that style to sketch your products too ... :) also ... u got a point there with the sketch in the middle of the page ... keep your inner lines light and thicken the contour ... or thicken the lines facing the ground ... or try both by using more line thickness/darkness levels ...

Guest Lilith

Miro thank you, to be honest i dream to go very far... well it least with improving my drawings :)

xonegon thanks for comment

T_Baxter thanks for information, trailer was impressive, might get dvd soon, after i am done with my Scott Robertsons

MacPhail thanks for advise, i will post some new works soon where i tried to work with shading :blush:

fblacka thanks for advise, yes i try to work in same manner when doing product design, but dont feel very confident yet :)

Thanks guys!

Will post new stuff soon !

Guest Lilith

so i got dvd of scott robertson and tried out some vehicles and airplanes :P

scottrob.jpg

i also tried some of feng zhu techniques

fengzhu.jpg

and those are some own stuff (not as imaginative)

modelssketch.jpg

these i made a while ago, just simple line work

sketchpage.jpg

Guest mj1

WOW! what did you use to do the bottom drawings as thats the clean style I'm looking to capture in my sketches. they look like they've been done in illustrator!

I think you have great countour skill. However I wouldn't call these "sketches", they feel like finished drawings, even the ones you labeled sketches feel like drawings with added messy lines.

Also I think that you have too high difference between min and max radius set for the program u use to sketch (I duno if u use StuidioTools or other program), your line gets washed up in the middle and you can't see what's going on.

Guest Lilith
WOW! what did you use to do the bottom drawings as thats the clean style I'm looking to capture in my sketches. they look like they've been done in illustrator!

thanks mj1, the bottom drawings are freehand (just like anything else in this topic) but instead of using ballpoint pen , i started with pencil then highlighted the lines that i need with pigment liners (i think 0.7 for thick lines and 0.3 for thin lines) then erased the lines i dont need, then i just scanned it and put together in photoshop.

I think you have great countour skill. However I wouldn't call these "sketches", they feel like finished drawings, even the ones you labeled sketches feel like drawings with added messy lines.

Also I think that you have too high difference between min and max radius set for the program u use to sketch (I duno if u use StuidioTools or other program), your line gets washed up in the middle and you can't see what's going on.

thanks Kfed, i dont even know why i call those sketches, guess because they are not colored :D

so like i said i dont use any program, these are just freehand, i guess the lines get washed up after i scan them :/ but will take it into account for the future, thanks

your drawing are TOO LIGHT

also all your sketches on a single page have the same line weights

which makes your well done drawings look uninteresting

there should always be one that is bolder than the other ones.

which becomes the focal point

why is focal point important?

because for exqample on your shoe sketches.

lets say you want the viewer to look at the underside treads

but because all your sketches have the exact same line weight and size and porportions

the viewer has no idea what to look at.

so instead of lookin at the treads, he or she may be lookin at somethign u dont want them to be lookin at.

or was not the purpose of your sketch presentation.

Guest Gringoire

Very good perspective... but your work is way to clear and similar...(don't get me wrong... it's good to be clean and clear but not way to...) You must have moods... like everyone... so try drawing some complicated thing you saw or have in house or whatever... when you are sad... when you are mad... very angry... and when you are happy... you don't have to post your work but to learn how to merge your feelings in your work so it can be simple or complicated but different... you must see sketching as an art also... it's not really an art but if you add a bit of heart it will look more "natural" and real... Overall... nice work! now add a bit of life... !