Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lilith

Learning How To Draw

Guest Lilith

hi, recently i opened a topic here "drawing skills" where i got lot of support from forum members (thanks everybody) so i decided to post some sketches so that you can help me improve my drawing skills.

we are in the middle of a project at uni (i am supposed to design stapler...) so i thought i will do some stapler study :blush:

stapler.jpg

stapler2.jpg

You draw nicely, you just may want to be a little more careful on some of your perspective (your open view is open and twisting). Also on your contour lines (that show a surface to surface bend) you have some of them as a darker line. I would go the opposite direction and have those lines be lighter unless you really are trying to emphasize a hard edge there.

Other than those small things I would just say to get plenty of practice without using rulers and you can be a little more loose with them (light construction lines can show, etc). That'll let you get away with a little slop in other areas because it's seen as a quick sketch. The tighter and cleaner you lines are, the more your perspective and everything else is expected to be just as precise so if they're not, it sticks out more.

Good stuff though, would love to see more. Nice job.

Guest Lilith
You draw nicely, you just may want to be a little more careful on some of your perspective (your open view is open and twisting). Also on your contour lines (that show a surface to surface bend) you have some of them as a darker line. I would go the opposite direction and have those lines be lighter unless you really are trying to emphasize a hard edge there.

Other than those small things I would just say to get plenty of practice without using rulers and you can be a little more loose with them (light construction lines can show, etc). That'll let you get away with a little slop in other areas because it's seen as a quick sketch. The tighter and cleaner you lines are, the more your perspective and everything else is expected to be just as precise so if they're not, it sticks out more.

Good stuff though, would love to see more. Nice job.

thank you :P i will take into account your suggestion from now on :) will try out what you said about lines and prspective stuff!

btw i havent used rulers :guilty:

No rulers on some of the pencil drawings? Nice, even better then. You'll be fine in no time, just practice so that new angles or perspective views don't confuse you. Then the other thing to work on is speed, not sure how long any of those took but faster is better (from the billing standpoint!).

A good exercise to do next is to take some of those views you have already and just drill yourself on how fast you can do them again, over and over. It'll make the lines familiar to you and they'll stick (just make sure perspective is good first or you'll be "burning in" the wrong angles/bad habits!)

Guest lagalletaloca

THOSE ARE PRETTY GOOD SKETCHES....

I AGREE WITH SKINNY ABOUT PERSPECTIVE...... BUT U KNOW.. IS ALL ABOUT DOING TONZ AND TONZ OF SKETCHES........ AND U WILL SEE IMPROVEMENT EVERY DAY... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...

AND HOPE TO SEE THE WHOLE DESIGN STORY ON UR STAPLER..

HAVE U DECIDED YET IN A CONCEPT OR U KNOW..... IDEAS FOR UR STAPLER?????

CHEERS!!!

Guest bob6yt6

great drawings. a couple of the staplers look as though they have buck teeth cool. i have never used any markers and is was wondering if there was a specific kind that is good to use. you have alot of great detail in your work.

Guest Lilith
No rulers on some of the pencil drawings? Nice, even better then. You'll be fine in no time, just practice so that new angles or perspective views don't confuse you. Then the other thing to work on is speed, not sure how long any of those took but faster is better (from the billing standpoint!).

A good exercise to do next is to take some of those views you have already and just drill yourself on how fast you can do them again, over and over. It'll make the lines familiar to you and they'll stick (just make sure perspective is good first or you'll be "burning in" the wrong angles/bad habits!)

thank you for reply skinny, your advises are great help! well, like i said before theres a certain angle i can draw almost perfect streight lines, thats why i was asking if it isnt kind of speculation to rotate my paper all the time :blush:

it is sooo great you mentioned the speed, i realised that i spend ages on drawing :( so i set myself timing , while doing the shoe sketches.

THOSE ARE PRETTY GOOD SKETCHES....

I AGREE WITH SKINNY ABOUT PERSPECTIVE...... BUT U KNOW.. IS ALL ABOUT DOING TONZ AND TONZ OF SKETCHES........ AND U WILL SEE IMPROVEMENT EVERY DAY... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...

AND HOPE TO SEE THE WHOLE DESIGN STORY ON UR STAPLER..

HAVE U DECIDED YET IN A CONCEPT OR U KNOW..... IDEAS FOR UR STAPLER?????

CHEERS!!!

thanks for support :) yes you are right i need a lot of practise.

i need to do the project about expending the product range, i was given NIKE and STAPLER, thats why i am slowly leading myself to creating nike stapler.

great drawings. a couple of the staplers look as though they have buck teeth cool. i have never used any markers and is was wondering if there was a specific kind that is good to use. you have alot of great detail in your work.

bob6yt6 thanks for comment,my marker rendrings are far from being good but i try :) i use copic markers, sometimes magic markers and prismacolor for brigher stuff.

Guest Lilith

so like i said, my brief is about extending nike range (i dont like nike and their products btw but i dont have much freedom of choice at uni) and making nike stapler, so i did some shoe study.

following skinny's advise i tried to spend 5-10 min on each shoe, also didnt emphasise the edges :)

nikeshoessketch.jpg

Guest sketch

I read your other topic about sketching - and looking at this thread - i don't know why you were so worried. :)

Its hard to see if you got the proportions right with shoes, as they come different size ratios - one or two of them seem a little off - but in all, they are great.

Guest Lilith
I read your other topic about sketching - and looking at this thread - i don't know why you were so worried. :P

Its hard to see if you got the proportions right with shoes, as they come different size ratios - one or two of them seem a little off - but in all, they are great.

Sketch thank you for your comment, to be honest i dream to gain an EXCELLENT drawing skills sometime in the future :wub: , maybe the level i have now is enough to communicate the ideas, but i enjoy the drawing porcess itself and i am not satisfied with the results i have now. Yes you are right i have the problem with proportions, not just with shoes but with all the objects i draw , i am working on it now.

so i was doing some practise over christmas, i had this nike stapler stuff and here are the boards i made, not sure if its ok that i've used some nike wallpapers :)

nike3.jpg

nike4.jpg

nike5.jpg

nike6.jpg

nike7.jpg

nike8.jpg

Guest Miro

Those are amazing! Wow.

Why are you worried again? lol

If you can draw like that and are worried about your skills, then i don't know what to say about myself. I should be crying....haha.

Guest Lilith

Miro , thank you, some people used to say that my skills are fine and at the end of day its like i am pretending or something :/ but the truth is those sketches take lots of time, i erase and redraw every single line 10 times and i dont feel confident much. Was just hoping that experienced designers would give me some feedback crits here so that i can improve.

Don't erase, do all of your messy lines on one page. If you start light and build up your line weight you won't even notice the stray lines. If you want to clean up the drawing for a final marker or photoshop rendering, get a piece of marker paper (or a light box) and use your messy drawing as an underlay, and just trace your good lines.

Work on shading and showing material definition now. How am I supposed to know in that drawing what is metal and what is plastic or rubber? Even with just using line shading (cross hatching, highlight lines, etc) you can start to imply material. Experiment with Photoshop, markers (which I've see you've started to do), pastel, colored pencils, and find which one you like best. Also experiment with doing quick marker renderings. A few quick strokes of marker rather then a fully colored rendering is sometimes enough to show form and material in a few seconds, rather then spending an hour trying to do a detailed rendering.

Guest P3NGU1N

Agreed with cyberdemon. Show us some raw sketches that haven't been touched up (like the fourth page of your most recent update). It is much easier to let you know how you can improve if we see some rough sketches that have all the construction lines on it! I can see that you focus a lot on your line weight. May I suggest that you darken the bottom of the object as well (Like what you did with the nike shoes) since the bottom of the object will be cast in shadow and it holds a bit of an edge if you just make it a darker line instead of vignetting it.

Some of the staplers I see some perspective issues, some of them don't have converging vanishing points. Don't be afraid to slow down with your sketches from time to time and keep your perspective in check. It can make a huge difference later on!

Keep up the sketching, these looks great so far!