Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest good luck

How to design a product that looks expensive?

Guest good luck

I think cars are great examples for the question I'm about to ask. Just what is it that makes Mercedes Benz look like an expensive luxury car and a toyota camry an average price car? What kind of elements do designers use to make that image? The same thing could be said for product design too. How do you make designs that look expensive and sophisticated?

Guest papicas

The most immediate example that pops in my mind is the hi-fi market.

Take a walk around your local store, see the products and check the prices: you'll notice that the simplest are the most expensive ones.

I think that what makes it look expensive is the brand, not the design all alone. If someone asked you to pay for 200 € for "Cotyard" shoes, you would think it's very expensive, the same price for "Prada" is a bargain.

In my opinion what makes things expensive is their "exclusive" look. Something you know you won't find around the block. When you talk about cars, you give the best example: a brand that is recognized as reliable and exclusive, and a brand that is seen as affordable and long-lasting. The opinion you have about the manufacturer influences the way you look at a certain item.

Guest Xriry

Perceived value is very complicated, there’s a bunch of answers to that question. Proportions or the way a car is massed, has a big effect on its perceived value. Proportions lead to surfaces and how those surfaces flow into each other are very critical. The execution of the “graphics†(headlights, taillights, intakes…etc) on these surfaces is very crucial as well. A couple of centimeters make all the difference. For instance take a look at where the wheels are located on an Audi compared to a Camry? The audi’s fill out the wheel well and sit flush with the side, while the Toyota’s sit well inside of the fender well, thus giving the car a feebler stance while the audi is more stable. Production quality (fit and finish) as well as materials make all the difference with perceived value as well.

Guest lemamio

i think if the company want to do a "exclusive" look car they just do that if they dont whant, they do a car like a carmy for mass, because i think a lot of people want a simple car and they fear : ) to by a person ( sorry my english is not good )

also i can say i think to do good design is not so hard, company must have a money for the stuff : ) also intention to do a luxary car

Simple does not necessarily mean classier. If you look at what has traditionally been considered expensive it is ornate and well crafted. I dont believe that you can really classify anything as entry level or luxury simply by its looks. eg Mercedes is a luxury brand that has a VERY emotional surface treatment. Econo Fords espouse simplicity.

If everything was simple, an ornate object would be the new exclusive design. Most people think "more is more" "more features for less" "two fer one!" Perhaps this is why simple objects are luxury.

Classy, hm... it can be retro, or very modern, but I think there are some common features between all classy objects.

Attention to detail is very important.. styling wise as well as interaction wise.. the proper use of selected quality materials is also important, you don't want flimsy plastics with poor surface detail, you want nice and sturdy feeling objects.

Expensive looking objects (not counting the all over the place bling bling ones) therefor have a kind of aura over them that shows the consumer that a lot of attention was put into making this object and that you aren't being cheated into buying something that will for example easily break down. What I do think though is that perhaps not all classy objects are the best ones, because sometimes minimalism can break up the ease of use.

Guest retrokitsch

For the example of Mercedes again Toyota, mercedes is expensive because this is an old brand which made innovations, in engineering (motors...) and toyota is a new brand, without a strong history like mercedes. The design of the luxury cars use, I think, the history of the brand to make something classic and "constant".

Guest nonex.nl

Attention to detail is one, but what makes a product a 'luxury' product is the effort put in the design and execution to make the details work. This clean look spoken about is the perfect example of this effort put in. The detail something funtional is one, to make it nice looking is two, but to put in the effort; in designing effort as well as being prepared to take the extra costs for a tailoir made dash of intake creates a reaaly exclusive look.

Two examples: why do the choppers of OCC (orange county choppers; referring to the series on dicsovery channel occ's website) look exclusive: the tailor made bikes are not just put together by hand, but also every detail is well worked through, to fit the image as a whole.

What makes a shop-interior looking luxury or special? It is not just the quality of the materials. Even with a thight budget a very luxury shop can be realized, for example by choosing quit blunt materials as concrete and glass. If the shop with these simple materials shows all the furniture and counters are special designed, it still can have a very luxurous feeling.

If a project shows the initator was prepared to put in money and effort, it will communicate this to the reviewer. This gives people the feeling of luxury and speciality.

Guest celticsun

Location ...Location...LoCaTiOn!

It is funny about the Mercedes vs a Toyota, if you look at America or half of the world high valued car market... Mecedes is a luxury Automobile or the State of the Art and Toyotas just a good working car. The other half you see mercedes same models in very poor countries used as Taxi Cabs and are treated pretty badly. The Toyotas are looked at as Highly choice pieces, the State of the Art realm or highly prised!

celticsun :ph34r::ph34r:

Guest Kapu

Yeah, I think detail work is what makes something appear high quality. And it's not that it needs to be ornate or made of solid gold or ultra simplistic, but rather that the designers have had time to ponder every option before choosing the best - how is this joint done, how will it sit flush, does it need to sit flush or is there a possibility to make it stand out, what would it look like if it was done way a, way b, way c..

In a way, I think it's time what costs in a quality product.

With cheaper prices per product they can afford less designer hours.. which is why they teach quick sketching at PD schools :huh: