Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest keffmalone

Flash portfolio for critique

Guest keffmalone

Hi everybody. I have recently uploaded a new Flash version of my website portfolio. Could you please check it out here and then let me know what you think I should change.

In terms of the content the Project section contains images from my final project from University, split into different sections such as design, prototyping etc. I would have preferred to have done this for a couple more projects, but don't feel very happy/confident about other projects that I have done yet. I think I had a major enlightenment during my year out between second and third year at uni and my work improved drastically.

I have decided to select one or two projects I have already done and then redo them in my spare time to bring them to a better conclusion. When this is done I plan on laying out the website so all projects are broken down into the different sections. Do you think this would look better or is it fine as it is?

Many thanks all.

Guest Bizzo

nice job on the site.. drawings are very nice and informative.

i think your projects are quite excellent at this point.

as far as the mechanics of the site i think you should consider a few things

1) the beginning instructions are a bit much, might turn some people off if they have to "learn" how to work your site

2) give us something to look at while the page is loading. some pages had a 50-120 sec load time.

3) your 3dmax rendering ability is very good and seems to be well researched, you should highlight this skill a little more. without reading (most folks dont read too much when looking over a portfolio) it looks like you are highlighting the fact you modeled your name, not the actual knowledge and skill it takes to light it a certain way.

4) if you are going to break your projects down into different sections i would section them off by school year terms. this will show an increase in progress and skill. for a "still in school" portfolio theres no real need to break them into product categories.

i really like the fact i can click and see your images full size, alot of other websites lack that feature.

keep up the great work!

Bizzo

Guest keffmalone

Thanks very much for your comments Bizzo. Makes me feel a bit better than I did about my work.

In terms of loading times, I'm looking to reduce the file size to make it quicker anyway, but I am currently creating a small animation to try and relieve the tedium as well as a progress bar. Thank you for sticking the course though and waiting for the content to load.

I was thinking about the instructions myself. I wasn't sure whether to include them, or presume that people would know what to do with the navigation elements. Do you think I should remove them completely or try and reduce them a bit?

As for the project sectioning, I was only thinking that when I have improved a couple of my previous works would I then split them int individual projects. I see what you mean about chronologically though: it makes more sense. But if I have improved the original content it removes any of the chronological aspect.

Do you think I should update a couple of my old projects? I was only thinking about the screwdriver and CD rack because I believe they show promise as project briefs.

As for the reading, should I make a title of sorts for each image, displaying the main skill/point of the image so people can see at a glance?

Again, many thanks for your time and comments.

Guest majanaku

Like the simplicity of the website, but the info in the begining is a bit too much. I like the apple unit alot, but wonder if you should show all your works under one heading. I found it hard to see what was your work and what was juts examples of what you can do. Anyway it looked good, and hope the appe unit gets produced.

mojo

My work

Guest idguru

websites nice, beats mine by loads, but even on a 1mb connection it takes a while to load the flash on some of the pages. may need something to look at while this is going on, otherwise cad stuff is great.