Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gappie

Sketching: Drawing Techniques For Product Designers

Guest Irl_Designer

Thanks for heads up. Good sketching/rendering books are few and far between in the college library and shops here. I'll have a look on e-bay and amazon for a copy. Little Christmas present to myself ;)

In the mean time - could anyone with a copy - throw up a brief summary / review of it for us, or even scan in a page or two to give us an idea of the conent and advice in the book?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Gappie

The link I've placed in the first post gives a pretty good idea of the content:

http://www.bispublishers.nl/bookpage.php?id=92

Overall the book is filled with sketches from mostly Dutch design agencies to show how they implement sketching in their design process. And besides that it holds a lot of small tips and tricks on how to create more realistic effects. As stated in one of the summaries, the book isn't a course on sketching, instead it's meant to be a source of inspiration on how you can enhance your drawing techniques. For example, when you're rendering an image with markers and don't know about the shading, how to do it etc. the book shows some examples on how light reflects on surfaces, or what type of perspective is realistic and what not. In the link, the lower four drawings show some of these tips and tricks pages and the upper four are examples from design agencies.

Hope this helps you a little bit further.

Grt Gappie

Guest firecracker

Does anyone know of somewhere that has it in stock for less that £30?

Its so much to spend on a book for me! - looks really good though.

Guest Yusi

I've checked it out both online and in the book store. It really a nice book for learning sketch which includes many on style sketches. unfortunately, it is way too expensive for me, i have to save up for it.

Hello Everyone,

Busy shopping for presents because of upcoming "Sinterklaas" (dutch version of Santa Claus) I found the perfect book that teaches drawing techniques for product design. I've worked with Design Sketching in the past but what bothered me was the lack of process drawings, the dominance of computer sketches and shortage of marker technique explanation, therefore I've been searching for ages to find a better book on sketching.

The book I've found: Sketching, drawing techniques for product designers by Koos Eissen and Roselien Steur, 2007 contains the same qualitative drawings as design sketching but also the process and ideation sketches making it way better, and for 39 euro the price is almost equal. Besides that, many well known dutch product design agencies and designers have contributed to the book, amongst which Waacs Design, BMW(van Hooydonk), Marcel Wanders and Springtime

http://www.bispublishers.nl/bookpage.php?id=92

For everyone still looking for a great book on sketching and marker techniques for both beginners and professional designers I'd truly recommend this one! :thumbsup:

Grtz Gappie

Guest Mr. Michael

Why does Amazon say that only pre-orders are available? Did anyone actually buy it through them already?

Guest Mr. Michael
Why does Amazon say that only pre-orders are available? Did anyone actually buy it through them already?

Oh, i got it. UK Amazon does sell, but US one does not.

Dropped by the local bookstore (Tainan, Taiwan) and found this precious book there for only 33 USD. If anyone needs a copy let me know. I can buy one and send it via mail.

Guest under-dog

Oh, i got it. UK Amazon does sell, but US one does not.

Dropped by the local bookstore (Tainan, Taiwan) and found this precious book there for only 33 USD. If anyone needs a copy let me know. I can buy one and send it via mail.

I am in the USA. I pre-ordered it on Amazon US. It appears they will be carrying it but not available yet via US Amazon distribution. So now to wait..........

Dont want to jack this thread but.....this is book related though:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on photoshop techniques specific to ID? At the local book shop most if not all books seemed to cater to the photographer using PS.

Thank you

Guest Smallcellsea Design

I've just received it, really well done book. And I think it completely worths its 39 euros, which are like 3-4 entrance in a club... Ok, in 3-4 times maybe u can have the opportunity to find a chick so maybe those euros worth more than the book but... yeah... With the book you're sure you will get something good, no shits will happen. ;-) Ciaaaa

Guest Impatient Pete

Update April 18th-

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon way back when I first heard about it in this thread.

Still no joy and I keep getting delay notices. I called the company that was going to distribute it here in the states (Ginko Press) and they said that they are not even sure if they are going to be the ones importing it.

So, anyone got a line on it in the U.S.? I'll keep mine on pre-orde with Amazon I guess...

Thanks,

Pete

Guest Vormech

I was going to order my copy through amazon but just decided to just pay the extra money and purchase it through the publisher and received it in about a month. I don't understand why amazon hasn't shipped out this book yet since the release date was Feb 22. I would just buy it through the publisher instead of waiting on amazon.

Guest Impatient Pete

I finally decided to just order it from the publishers. I pre-ordered and got a discount so it came out to about $75 shipped to California.

Can't wait to get it-

Pete

Oh, and I just graduated!

Guest patywagon

Does anyone have the new book Sketching: Drawing Techniques for Product Designers?

Is it anything like design sketching ? Or better?

Does it have any tutorials in it or any photoshop/painter/alias tablet work?

Is this worth the purchase if you have design sketching?

Thanks