Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Komodo

New Boy On The Block

Guest Komodo

Chucked the model through the rapid prototyping machine today, surface finish is poor but I'm going to see if I can take some fine grit wet and dry to it.

Check out the bling rims! If nothing else, this can be used as an ornate way of storing £24 in £2 coins!

post-17737-1205885281.jpg

post-17737-1205885522.jpg

post-17737-1205885690.jpg

Guest revetec
Got one of my cylinder heads back from the rapid prototyping machine today. The printer is about 4 years old and basic to say the least, the surface finish says it all. Still, it was a nice way to spend £100 of uni money making my drawings into 3d reality...

Nice work Komodo. I think you should do some more work on the shafts and gearing (FEA) before you actually build a prototype. The shafts are no way heavy duty enough to be reliable and deal with the amount of torque. Good work though. :)

Guest Komodo

Don't worry Brad, I'm a long way off doing that yet! Would love to get some FEA testing done but my version of SW is somewhat tempremental (sp) when trying to run an analysis at the moment!

Guest revetec

Here is a basic CAD render of our latest aircraft engine and the final real engine.

post-21279-1208819120.jpg

Guest Komodo

I have been working on the design of the exhaust system today. No work on the tuning of it yet, but this can be done at a later date.

post-17737-1211513566.jpg

post-17737-1211513609.jpg

Guest Komodo

Done some basic head and tail lights today.

I wasn't sure on how to get photoworks to produce an image with the lights on, so I resorted to using that damned lens falre than everyone hates so much! :P

post-17737-1212621531.jpg

post-17737-1212621696.jpg

post-17737-1212621884.jpg

Guest Toprob

Hey dude, I like your project. I think you have some mad 3D-CAD skills. Only I dont think the cockpit fits the car. Its like most of the car is really well thought out and then you thought HEY! lets add a cockpit.

overal top job!

Guest Komodo

I can see where you are coming from with that, I did intend the design to work as both an open and closed cockpit. Once I have done some more work, I will focus on the fixing of the perspex canopy, so it can be used in either way.

Unsure about how to go about this at present however!

Guest Bowl of Soup

Hey, I think you will eventually get frustrated using PW to render, it has always been the weakest link for solidworks. If you have the time, look into some export options to get a better rendered working for you. Especially if your still only getting used to PW, then why not learn a full scale rendered right away. I don't want to influence you into picking a specific renderer, read up on what is best for you, especially because there are costs associated with most packages. I think there is a similar discussion going on here:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9597

I can see where you are coming from with that, I did intend the design to work as both an open and closed cockpit. Once I have done some more work, I will focus on the fixing of the perspex canopy, so it can be used in either way.

Unsure about how to go about this at present however!

Right now it just looks like a 1/4 sphere. Just give it a little character, like stretching it down the nose a little bit more. As far as character goes, the overall body of the car has promise, but could use some touches of finesse. Start with the louvres, I'm thinking some soft "S's" that flow with the curves better. As if the skin were stretched over a form so tight that it ripped apart in just the right places. I like the front scoops a lot, but they could be tightened up and given a little more character as well. Very nice work.

Guest Komodo

Thanks for the advice there, much appreciated. Not much work has gone on of late now that I have graduated and gone and got myself a full time job, will look at getting back into this some point soon however. I would like to work more on the bodywork and produce a more flowing look, however my surfacing skills on Solidworks are limited at present.

I think what I really want to experiment with is something like 3DS Max for the bodywork, however I also plan on putting a lot of time into the chassis design also. It is a long term ambition to build a car in the future and I would like it to looks something like this! ;)

I will look into rendering software also, I agree PW has it's limits, although I've probably not touched them yet. I hear Bunkspeed Hypershot is good, I will see if I can get use of it at work and maybe spend some time after hours doing some renders.