Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Komodo

New Boy On The Block

Guest Komodo

Good evening everyone, thought I'd sign up to this site, looks to be exactly what I was looking for, and hopefullly I can learn much from you lot, I've seen some very impressive work here!

Here are some renderings of a Solidworks 2007 model I am currently working on as part of my HND Automotive Engineering project.

The engine is being designed as a crankless 1474cc 16v four cylinder engine, with a theoretical target output of 160bhp naturally aspirated, or 200+bhp in turbocharged form. The original concept came from an Australian company, http://www.revetec.com. My project is purely to produce a design portfolio using this idea and evaluate.

At present I'm still in the early modelling stages, but I shall soon be moving on to materials selection, FEA testing, calculating thermal expansion rates etc, and then onto the theoretical performance calculations, and possibly some rapid prototyping.

I know there are still alot of issues to be dealt with in these models, particularly the spaceframe chassis, but that drawing is only a few hours in, and still needs about another 30 hours work.

The rendering software is the standard Photoworks pakage and standard materials, mainly cast and polished aluminium and steel.

post-17737-1196039291.jpg

Guest Komodo

post-17737-1196039613.jpg

These first two were my first couple of renders using PW, I didn;t know how to use it really and so the entire assembly was set as polished aluminium. Nice and shiny though!

Guest Komodo

The engine (block hidden) installed into the spaceframe chassis. Material selection was ignored again here, hence the tub also appearing to be in polished aluminium, it should be carbon fibre.

post-17737-1196039965.jpg

Guest Komodo

This is the inital design of the base spaceframe, suspension to come next week. Carbon fibre render didn;t really come out as I wanted, plus I've had to save this picture at minimum quality to get it through the attachment manager.

post-17737-1196040341.jpg

Guest Komodo

This is the beginnings of the car assembly, engine, spaceframe and tub.

post-17737-1196040377.jpg

That is all I have on this project for now, but it is a steadily progressing one what with it being coursework. I shall post up any progress I make in the future.

As I mentioned, suspenion arrangement is next to come with the chassis module, plus I would like to model some bodywork for it, TVR style if possible, however I have absolutely no idea how to do this, neither does my tutor.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for that sort of thing, it would be greatly appreciated!

First comment: Kill that lens flare. With fire.

Any filter that photoshop users can point out is a bad use of filters. Ditch the flare and it'd make everything look a lot more professional.

As for the body, I think TVR's style could be aped quite easily withing solidworks. Sketch out the sideview, extrude it. Sketch out the top, and do an extrude cut, then add a bunch of fillets. Here's what I did, using that technique:

http://hypershot.hyperboards.com/index.php...mp;topic_id=294

Guest Komodo

Sounds simple enough I suppose, I was expecting a complex 3D sketch and surface technique!

I agree about the lens flare, however I added those without saving the imgaes as a photoshop file, so I can;t remove them now... :D

Guest Komodo

Ok so I had a quick go using that technique, seems to work OK. With a lot more time put into it I think I could definately get the look I want.

post-17737-1196049180.jpg

Don't forget to switch to perspective view when rendering. Fillet all the edges with tiny radius (1-2mm), it will highlight the edges and look more realistic. Also that ground plane is a bit too busy for my taste, I would go fore something more plain no to detract from the product.

Otherwise I think you did good. I mean, there's no confusion on what is or what it's made of, but those are some tips on how to improve.

Guest toodef1

Fully - kill that bloody lens flare, that was sooo photoshop 4 !

Cool to see some different stuff on the forum too -

Cheers,

Hayden

Guest Komodo
Also that ground plane is a bit too busy for my taste, I would go fore something more plain no to detract from the product.

The reason for choosing that ground plane was the lighting setup was perfect on it, and having no experience with PW, I couldn't not get the correct lighting with some of the other scenery I tried.

Lens flare will definately not make an appearance on any further renders! :D

Now that you've made the body, try projecting a sketch onto the body... then playing with the dome surface command. It allows you to add bulges or suck areas very easily... just sketch the area you'd like to dome, project onto the body, and go for it! :D

Quick question, I was thinking about doing something like this for my senior project.... but why'd you choose front engine? I would think with the variety of FWD powerplants/transmissions around, it'd be real easy to take a FWD system, throw it in back, and have independent rear suspension as a bonus! :)

Guest superbad

What's going on with those suspension pickups? They look very clunky, and appear to be single shear.

The spaceframe looks to be pretty well triangulated, although I can see a few junctions where the tubes could be brought together better (particularly around the engine bay). Don't forget to triangulate the bulkhead between the engine bay and passenger bay. Also, why have you clipped the corners on the roll hoop like that? Typically that would be bent. If you need to weld it up for some reason, move the junction for the diagonal brace up into that top corner.

Are you using those carbon panels for structural rigidity, or just to close the space?

Guest Komodo

I don't really follow you on the suspension pickups? They were only a quick model, and will need more development, but the basic idea was taken from the Caterham 7 chassis, only with different location points.

Point taken on triangulation of the bulkhead, I shall add that in. As for the clipping of the corners, it seemed the easiest way at the time to get the roll hoop to fit in under the body. Again, something which will need further research. I also intend to add in bars up the A pillars to meet with the rear hoop. I know some of the opints need better profiling, but this is as good as I could get it at present!

Cash68, I chose an FR layout as this is simply my preffered layout of car. I'm not all that keen on mid engined or rear engined cars, front engined rear drive sports cars are where it's at for me. Also, where the engine for this project is bespoke anyway, I could pretty much mount it whereever I wanted.