Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest w i l l

Does Anyone Want A Maxwell Render Of Their Product?

Guest w i l l

Yeah - its a serious project too. I just wish i'd started out using Maya not Solidworks then doing animations of photoreal flying banana skins wouldnt be so challenging.

Guest bgp3te

hi there, ive just got maxwell but havnt a clue how to use it! some of the stuff uve done with it is really nice. I'm working on a model of an apache gunship for a uni project, should have it finished in about 2 weeks.

Could you do me a render of that possibly? I rekon it would look great using a decent rendering package.

Guest chris nobles

hi will, what sort of lead times are we talking here? Also whats a typical render time (vast generalisation required)?

Guest w i l l

Lead/render times depend on product - i'd prefer 3 days minimum though.

bgp3te - feel free to email me or link me to any images models so that i can take a look.

Guest chris nobles

sounds good will - i think youve spoken to my colleague matthew conley before. Do you do all your scene setting and applying materials from within maxwell? what file type do you use to export from solidworks?

Guest firecracker

hi there,

thats a great propostion there!

Some nice collaboration in the community. :D

Are you still working on this, is it an ongoing thing?

Id love to send you something to render up.

But ive only just started my course this year, and just working on the rudiments of Catia.

FFS my computer has a 32mb graphic card! No chance ill be doing any rendering withthis setup!

If your still needing something a month or two down the line, id love to collaborate.

Might even have some clothing type stuff if I can figure out how to model it (interesting render challenge)

Guest w i l l

Chris - I just use the Solidworks plugin to set up which materials are applied to which faces etc then save the mxs file and open in Studio > set up the lighting/materials in Studio. I'm using Cinema 4D or Maya for animations (when i can get the Maxwell plugin to work!). If you use Solidworks then i can work with your Solidworks files or IGES preferably. Not too sure who Matthew Conley is - does he use Solidworks and graduate from Bournemouth about 15 years ago? Thats the only memory i've got of talking to another designer from Yorkshire way.

PS Looks like you've got the same music background.

Firecracker - Yeah i might be able to help you out, depends on how busy i am after Christmas. I could probably model and UV unwrap clothing to render.

Guest chris nobles

yeah thats matt. So you apply maxwell materials within solidworks? Im struggling with the 3ds max plugin, UVW mapping it is a pig so I might have to just switch to doing everything in maxwell - and then theres the render times.... a couple of days isnt really feasable for a consultancy so im just doing it in my spare time at the mo...

yeah ive seen your ministry stuff...nice ideas. Just sorting a new night in sheff at the mo now ive moved on from passion. Deep house & techno policy starting in the new year, moist

Guest w i l l

Sounds good - i'll have to drive up and check the night out.

You cant UVW map in Maxwell - set up the UVW map in 3DS (if its not too difficult - or some other software like a dedicated UV mapper) then when the model is opened in Maxwell Studio the texture will be automatically mapped (under the 'locked' parameter of the projector). The render times are quite high - i dont really use it for animation but for stills its not that bad. Try not to render really high res - use something like Alienskin to blow up to higher res.