Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BT03

Coroflot Portfolio - Bt

Guest BT03

Hey,

Just completed my Bachelor of Industrial Design, and completed my portfolio roughly on Coroflot. Just hoping for some feedback on both my portfolio layout/organisation and its content. Also, how do you think would be the best way to display portfolio for job applications etc, like a link to coroflot, or something more like a PDF compiled of images etc.

http://www.coroflot.com/bt

Cheers,

BT.

Guest BT03

Just completed 3rd year, which in Australia, is the end of my Bachelor Degree, then 4th year is GDID (Graduate Diploma of Industrial Design) which is optional.

Guest Jay08

Hi,

There definitely seems to be some stuff lacking from your folio>! Your renderings are flat and lifeless, (look into getting some decent render software or learn to use it porperly..What are you using btw?)

The CAD itself has a long way to go. Did you do these models for visualisation only or was the aim to design a product. There doesnt seem to be any detailing in any of your model! (split lines etc...)

The Scuba diving equipment....Did you develop this product as your sheets hint (aerodynamics study etc...) or simply do a load of visuals?

You have sheets titled 'technology'...but yet you do not go into details about motor power ratings for instance or any technology at all.

Your understanding of product design seems to be limited though im sure its not (you have graduated after all)...there must be more than this to show for 3years of work.What about core design skills?..You ve only shown one here..Visualisation. Show some sketches and model making etc... And the key to a good folio..Only show the good stuff!

And finally, your pages are riddled with spelling mistakes...

Revisit your projects to give them a more professional touch up!

Hope these come across as constructive crits they are intended that way!

Guest BT03

Hey,

Yea thats what I was looking for really. But with those projects, that is basically all I did (and really, all i was required to do). I did well in each project, but we never really had the time to work on them. I had expected to have to follow our projects through much further, getting into component lists, manufacturing methods, parting lines, assembly etc, but I have none of that for portfolio...

The CAD models ive done were never intended to be 100% accurate, detailed models, they were made solely for obtaining renders for presentation boards, and for VRML on occasion.

Haven't made a proper physical model really either, just like form studies (some painted and finished off etc) but they are just out of foam, nothing along the lines of prototypes etc.

Perhaps it was just the direction my course took, but it's not like I just scraped through my course you know, that really was all we needed to do relatively well, and were never really pushed to do much better.

Perhaps I need to re-do/improve some of my projects, to a much more detailed level, to show in portfolio?

Using Rhino4 for 3d Models (we havent learnt Solidworks) and 3DS Max for renderings. Havent got around to using mentalray or any max plugins for rendering yet (does that alone make a difference), or is it more my material selection lights etc?

Cheers.

Guest scary_fairy2001

Hi there

I checked out your portfolio- what software is it you use to render? i found alias image studio really great for getting some basic good quality images out in relativly little time as well as 3d Studio max with vray which is fantastic for manipulating to get some really fine photo real quality detail in to your work :D

Guest Jay08

Just thinking about it a bit...maybe just show snippets from each project the best bits rather than the whole lot...Maybe make some foam models and re do som sketch work.

It ll look great im sure....

And image studio is great for quick renders that look good.

As for solidworks....best to get on it asap or ProE!

Guest BT03

Yea... On holidays at the moment before 4th year (GDID). In which we learn 1 semester of Solidworks, do u think I should learn Solidworks 07/08 over the break, or Pro Engineer? Whic do you feel is more widely suitable for the workplace, as id rather only learn one fully, and one partially, if possible...

Guest Jay08

Hi BT...sorry for the late reply...Have been pretty busy.

As for which software to learn....I think that entirely depends on what you ll be designing. For more consumer products, silidworks is a good bet.2005 or more recent.

If you are designing on a more engineering level or using FEA, Pro E is better but to be honest, they are both suitable for either application. Its mostly down to personal preference!

I think solidworks could be best if you are new to CAD modelling as the interface is more intuitive and this will get you learning modelling structure and terminology with limited stress!!