Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fiori

Shoji Flower Light

Guest fiori

I've always loved Japanese designs especially shoji lamps because of the diffused light they create and just the simplicity of their form. Recently I decided to mess around with my own contemporary light designs based around the simplicity of the shoji style, but also mixing in some complexity by combining the design with nature (in this case flowers).

This first design (more designs will be posted later) is a wall mounted light for which the ins and outs of the mechanics i.e electrics, or been abit risky candlelight, have only been touched upon, as at present im just trying to concentrate on the aesthetics. The shape of the light is based on a parent/child structure, i.e the light protecting the flower with its framework (shown like a curled around arm) and giving it a source of warmthe and light, which is carried on and gradually diffused through the shoji paper, in a kind of organic form rather than the common wooden block light (a quick example is box on the left table in the main image)

Anyway thats kinda abit of background on the design and I have a few more that im working on, which are quite different but follow the general theme of, japanese, contemporary, shoji, light and flower :)

I'd appreciate any feedback you have, like what you think of the design, what you think would make it better etc, as its an onging thing that I want to do to pass the time and maybe knock one out in the garden shed one day.

By the way if your wondering I wanted the framework to be made out of wood (suggestions of which types that can create organic shapes would be helpful), which is composed of hopefully 2 parts to hold the paper in (in a similar way to how japanese frame doors are made) and the paper is made from shoji paper (of course :) Oh and there would perhapsbe some kind of a foam insert (like the foamy thing you get a garden stores) into the small cyclinder to hold the flowers in, via compression of the middle of the stem so that it can pass through rather than just rest on a closed based

Anyways thanks for looking and hope you can help out with any of your comments

post-9403-1195173367.jpg

Guest fiori

Here is an extra image of the off and most helpful, the on effects of the light, or at least to give a vague idea of how it would look, although I would want there to be perhaps alittle more illumination on the flower, but my skills at trying to make a light work in 3D arent so great, so try and compensate abit for that :)

post-9403-1195173754.jpg

Guest squareitround

I like the idea and the feel you are going for, but as they are, they don't quite grab me. I can't really put my finger on why - perhaps it's just my taste.

I would look into the practicalities of powering the lights sooner rather than later.

Perhaps similar tech to these? http://www.vessel.com/prod_light.html