Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Obelix

[wip]wall Clock

Guest Obelix

Hello there! My first project uploaded here:

It's a skool project. Task was - design something and make it (in model if not possible in prototype) in 1 class. Not first class, one class B) So, I chosed a clock. My first design was simplier than this clock. But, my professor refused it, because, as he said, clocks are supposed to show time, not to be puzzles :) So, I made something funny like this:

t_clockm_0c2147e.png

green - mechanism and battery case; 10cm diameter, 1.5 cm hight

orange - hour hand; 10cm diameter - bigger cylinder, 0.75 cm hight

yellow - minute hand; 8cm diameter - bigger cylinder, 0.75 cm hight

red/transparent - second hand; 1cm diameter - bigger circle, 0.3 cm hight

It's just a model right now. Maybe I make a prototype...dunno...it's not a task in this case. I think of painting smaller orange and yellow cylinders in flourescent orange/yellow colors...so they shine at night. Would they shine?

Anyway, what you think? :D

EDIT:

Pre-versions:

t_satovi1m_20a8e84.png t_satovi2m_cccb38f.png t_satovi3m_b0fd446.png t_satovi4m_5895286.png

If you're going to school, type like an adult and don't write 'skool'. Also, you didn't 'chosed' something. You choose it.

As for the design, no type of paint is going to make things 'glow', unless it's glow in the dark paint. Personally I think you should explore designs with a pencil and paper, as your 'concept' looks much too 'cad-ish'.

Guest Obelix

I appology for speaking/typing incorrect english, but that's what you can expect of someone who doesn't speak english as motherly language. By now I've realised that it touches you especially, so I'll make an extra effort to type correct. I wasn't sure for "chosed" but I expected that you can imagine what I wanted to say and understand it like if I said it correct. When you see 'skool' and 'school', you read it same way? Same voices? Right? 'skool' is more economic B)

As for 'glow', I've seen an basketball court's(?) out lines, 3 point lines...etc...painted somehow, so they glow at night. You don't need reflectors there lol. So, I ment it's possible with clock too....I just needed what kind of color is that etc.

Yes, design is cad-ish, max-ish etc....I didn't have scaner with me...etc...but I'll see about that later...anyway project was - fast modeling...there wasnt time for much sketches, nor styrofoam, etc. Fast fabrication only.

Ok. Thanks for comment.

Guest Jay08

Cash,

You seem to be having a bit of a dig at people who dont speak english very fluently (and this is not the first time,) when they make errors!

Have you got a problem with people trying to broaden their horizons? This is pretty narrow minded, especially for a designer!

As for the clock....is it just a funny looking shape? What the reasoning behind it? Whos it designed for and why?

J

Guest Obelix

Well, idea was clock without background, just esential clock parts. So I thought, I need mechanism + a battery or two + two hands(?). Things like that allready exist. And they are classy or just pure mechanical (just mechanism and no covers, cases, backgrounds...). So, I wanted something 'childysh' - funny shape, happy colors, etc. So it's designed for kids. It reminds (me) on ants' or bees' heads...with antenas, etc. And why? You mean why did I choose it? Well, professor choose + past time it B)

edit: Now I see that I forgot to post 'pre-versions'. they'll be in first post.