Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest squareitround

2 Designs For Dwell Competition.

Guest squareitround

Hi, this is my first post here, and I'm after a bit of feedback. :D

Just recently, and by complete accident, I stumbled across a design competition by the UK interior company Dwell, and I thought I would have a crack at it. I don't have any design background, but it is something I have always been interested in. Both were done in about a day, as I only found out about the competition 4 days before it ended, so they aren't as complete or as polished as I would of liked. Having said that, Dwell assume all rights to any designs submitted, so I wasn't going to bust a gut over it.

Both were modelled in Silo 2 and rendered in Cheetah 3D.

post-16864-1194185890.jpg

post-16864-1194185878.jpg

Guest Obelix

OMG!!!1!!one1 :shocking:

I wanted to do same thing a week ago for my uni clock project......Same thing with discs...But my professor refused it, because, as he said, clock is supposed to show time, not to be a puzzle (for someone who see it for first time). He's right about that.

I think your clock is a bit tight, from side view....I'm afraid there wont fit standard battery + mechanism, but maybe I'm wrong.

Can you make a render where 1 disc would have 1 color, another disc another color, and mech/battery case another? Because, they're all white now....I cant see them clear.

1 more thing, my proffessor pointed is there should be something to show seconds. Not because someone will count seconds, its because they are moving faster...that shows you the clock is working...or that's clock what you are staring at :D

I'd be rly happy to see someone have succes in this minimalistic clock design.

P.S.: I think I'll steel your idea about these dices. B) ..they're rly cool....minimalistic and all that :thumbsup:

P.P.S.: Is it 01:00 or 12:05 on your clock?

Guest sajidkhan

your boat's beautiful and I can't believe that it hasn't been done. it seams so obvious, but thats what makes it so clean and understandable. also, kudos on not making it a 'jokey pun'. looks very pro.

questions yo, what about as the candles melt? does it stir up any 'sinking ship' feelings? may not be a big concern, but I always try to think of products in use. I'd be interested in what you have to say.

unreal first work.

Guest squareitround

Thanks both. :)

@Obelix - Yes, I agree, those are completely valid crits, and I realise it is more "art" than practical clock. (although I've seen plenty of clocks and watches in production that are equally hard to read. Whoever designed them obviously didn't study under your professor! lol ) I won't be doing any more renders of it unless it gets picked, because in honesty it's not worth really worth it. You are probably right about it being tight, but it would require a non-standard movement anyway, and I really didn't have time to think it through fully.

Glad you like the dice idea. If you use it in an of your designs I would like to see what you do.

Oh, it's 1:00 :)

@sajidkhan - To be honest the melting candles/sinking ship hadn't occurred to me, but it's a good point. I really don't know. Hopefully not! lol

Guest lookdadnotunes

really love both of these ideas.

Both so simple.

I think the boat is spot on.

Imagery of a sinking ship isn't the first thing that comes to my head. The candles getting shorter as they burn so how makes me think of them taking sails down on a ship. Which I suppose you wouldn't have on a steam boat. But thats what I think of anyway.

like they say the simple ideas are sometimes the best ones.

Guest squareitround

Thanks.

I decided not to go with anything too complex, as I thought they stood more chance of actually getting manufactured.