Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest randomboy

mobile phone marker render

Guest randomboy

Hi all,

this is a marker and pastel drawing i just did and im finding it rather difficult to get my style tight. Any constructive advice most welcome

cheers

Guest aajhiggs

Your linework needs some attention and the centre dial is a little over-sharp, but the body and screen lighting is coming on.

I think you could do with tightening your line tracing - assuming the linework was done crisply this just takes practise. However, if the linework underneath is a little wonky, you may need to consider using a french curve, a ruler and tracing through a folded sheet (symmetry). Also feel free to go off the edge of the sheet with the pen, then draw a thick black line around the outside or cut it out with a sharp scalpel and mount it on another piece of paper. At least you can control the outside edge firmly this way.

The pastel looks a little grainy. Have you tried 'cutting' it in with some talc*? This will smooth out the patches and get a much nicer gradient (Its hard to tell if you have or haven't from the image size, but its a useful tip anyway).

The highlights could do with being a little stronger and crisper, so try a white pencil or (very sparingly) tippex dots for bright pinnicles. This especially applies to the centre dial 'bowl' which is highly specular metal with a strong white reflection in the light.

As I've already had a go at doing this (my!) phone, so you might want to see my PhotoShop version, which although digital, should give you some indication of the tonal and contrast depth to aim for. My S65 Render.

Hope this helps - it's looking fairly good already,

Cheers,

Andy.

*use a razor blade to create a dust from the pastel and mix it thouroughly on a flast surface with 2 parts talc (also saves on the amount of pastel used).

Guest randomboy

Thanks for your comments mate,

I definately agree that the line work s a little ropey, especially the sides and top profiles. Also i didnt put the numbers and letters on the keys as they were so small (a4 paper used) i couldnt see a way of doing them by hand without cocking them up completely.

I did use talc with the pastel but its my first attempt so i think next time i may need less pastel and more talc as you pointed out. The white highlights on the front were done using a faber castel polychromos which i found to be a bit to soft and indeed came out very grainy which did my head in because this was the last touch i made. Any ideas on how they could be crisper??

I like the symetry tecnique suggested ill try that. Gonna have another go tonight on the same phone. see if i can improve where i went wrong.

By the way, ive seen your photoshop render already, shown it to mates at uni. We all think it kicks ass man and were jealous, he he he

Very much a novice with Photoshop, any tips on how i can work toward that level of rendering?? books, tutorials etc

Guest aajhiggs

I agree with you - trying to pull off lettering by hand on this scale is a nightmare - the best way to get around this is use white rub-on transfers, but you cannot use pastel before you apply them or the simply won't adhere to the paper.

The white pencil crayon issue is a hard one, but you should try to use it as sparingly as possible and try not to shade with it and just use it for producing lines and dots. This means you can control the line with a ruler. Make sure the pencil is as sharp as you can get it and apply it over and over softly rather than one strong stoke which will blunt the nib. I use Karismacolor (Berol) pencils and they seem to perform well. In conjunction with the white you might also use their black to define the splitlines more firmly (this, I think, will also add some more realism).

I'd love to see a second attempt if you are planning on doing one. I'll keep my eye out :lol:

Photoshop-wise I'm self taught, and if you look there is much in the way of free resources on the net. I don't tend to use books as they are expensive and exhaustable, however Computer Arts magazine Photoshop editions are often a worthwhile purchase. The tutorials may not apply directly, but a good knowledge of the whole program is definately worthwhile, plus it can do much for your display boards. Your best bet is to look at some online tutorials, but unfortunately I can't think of any that spring to mind, however the ones DygitalDesign list are particualrly good. Google search all the way!

Andy.