Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest alicano7

Cintiq 12wx

The 12WX doesn't have the large pivoting stand that the 21UX comes with. It's essentially a flat slate that has a bar that can either fold out to prop it up, or fit flush inside the unit. There is a small rubber nub that protrudes slightly from the back that acts as a pivot point to let you spin it easier though. Because the unit is so small it's fairly easy to manuever.

Guest w i l l

Yeah it is easy to maneuver but I can see that the cable would be annoying. Can it be made wireless?

If you can figure out a way to deliver power wirelessly, sure. :)

The cable going to the unit is pretty thin (at least compared to the massive wire that goes into the 21ux), so it wouldn't be a problem to manuever around on your lap. The real pain in the ass are all the cables that go from the converter box to the PC. I used to think the 12" was a good alternative to a Tablet PC in terms of portability, but after seeing one in person I think I'd rather go the tablet PC route and sacrifice the additional features like pen tilt and the side strips.

Guest w i l l

I suppose it depends on whether the tablet PC's are as good for sketching. After reading all the posts on both forums I still can't figure out which is best - 12wx or tablet PC.

I have a 14" tablet PC and I think it's pretty good for sketching...Certainly not perfect, but I don't think anything is. My biggest gripe is the lack of access to any useful keys while in convertable mode. But when it comes down to it I still think I'd go with the tablet PC over the mini-Cintiq.

Only problem is last time I checked nobody was making a 14" Wacom enabled Tablet PC anymore (I know Toshiba stopped). Gateway might be the only one left.

Definitely the 12wx rather than a tablet PC. The tablet PC will suffer from performance or you will have to spend a lot of cash. But if you only want to sketch, np. Anyway, in 3 weeks the 12wx is in my hands :)

A new tablet PC with decent specs can be had for under $2k USD. A 12WX costs $1k + the cost of a laptop. If you need a powerhouse workstation laptop (or already own one, or want to use it with a Macbook) then the Cintiq makes sense, but not because it's cheaper.

If you can live with the specs of the tablet PC, it most likely will be the cheaper option and when you want to walk away from your desk to do a drawing you don't have to bring a suitcase full of cables. The 12wx was nice on paper, but when I saw how bad the cable management solution was in real life it made me change my views towards it.

For $2450 you could go get a Modbook instead. A 13.3" Apple Macbook modified with Wacom technology to become a tablet PC (or tablet Mac).

Looks okay - but as far as I have understood it there is no access to the keyboard. Nevertheless it seems as a decent solution. W 2.2 GHz and up to 4BG Ram.

Link:

Modbook tablet Mac

/tbroen

Guest w i l l

Does anyone in the US want to post me a 12WX? For a fee obviously - paid through Paypal. Cyberdemon?

Guest w i l l

Reviews aren't too good...

Here

Think it might be best to stick with the tried and tested 21UX.

Guest w i l l

The 21UX has similar problems just not as bad jittering. Here is a pretty good review on that from an industrial designer:

Click

I think it's all basically a case of Wacom not having enough competition to give them a kick up the backside. For a start £2500 for any tablet is a complete rip off.