Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest alicano7

Cintiq 12wx

This has been discussed heavily at Core 77, so I won't bother repeating what's already been said.

Regarding Gateway tablet PC's. I would be VERY careful to make sure if you purchase a Gateway tablet you verify that they are using Wacom digitizers. A classmate of mine bought a Gateway tablet last winter and it does NOT use the Wacom penabled technology. The result is a digitizer which is extremely poor and virtually useless for drawing.

The small Cintiq will most likely only have 1 physical cable, but 2 or 3 plugs. IE there won't be 3 seperate wires dangling around, but you'll need to connect it to the AC/VGA/USB ports.

Guest A17

the price sounds about right.. I was JUST looking into some tablets and i came across the bamboo one, Im wondering why it's much cheaper than something like the Graphire..

it doesn't come with a mouse which i like because i dont need a wireless mouse (since i already don't use the one that came with my keyboard). So is it worth it? anyone tried it?

I'd make the suggestion of going with the Intuos over the Bamboo. If you're super strapped for cash it'll be a good beginners tablet, but if you're like me (and most designers) once you get it you'll want something larger with better sensitivity and more features. The Intuos 6x8 (or 6x11 if you use a Widescreen like most people nowadays) is expensive, but consider it an investment for 4 years of school + into your professional career.

Cintiq 12WX is a sexy product no doubt.. if I was doing more freelance I might consider getting one.

For students out there I think the Intuos A4 is the best option out there. For those who like to sketch on the go with a laptop, the A5 is better since it'll be about the same size as the laptop which means you could fit it in your bag.

Guest w i l l

It would be good if these things could be used as a monitor. Wouldnt have to buy a Cintiq then.

Guest MKS

GOOD NEWS!

It's only 999 USD in USA, even cheaper than the price in Japan!

http://global.wacom.com/cintiq/12WX.cfm

And you can check more pictures here:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2007/1025/wacom.htm

It seems the 3-in-1 cable is located on the up-right corner, and the stand is made by metal.

The most important thing is it looks quite slim (1.8kg, 17mm).

BTW, what's the video control unit for?

wacom_07.jpg

Guest bngi

Was considering buying one. (im a student btw)

However ive decided to learn how to use a standard intuos first. its almost a third of the price and i believe that i really need to learn how to use one of those first. And let my future employer get me one of these (hopefully) instead. :)

Hopefully a normal tablet will be equally useful after learning to use it.

Any one else considered buying one? Wouldnt mind getting someone elses thoughts around the whole deal.

I don't really dare to think about buying the Cinteq here in Denmark. Just an ordinary Intuos3 A5 Wide costs almost $700 here. So if I could get the cinteq for the $1000 I would consider very much to buy it. But unfortunately it is very likely that the price is more likely to be just over $2000 here... So I will probably just get an Intuos3 A5 Wide Special Edition as a christmas present to my self instead :)

Compared to tablets in general I also think that the precision of the Cinteq is much better.

/tbroen

Guest bngi
If you speak french, a very interesting video on YouTube:

Here in Sweden, the price is 1,950$, a lot of money but I'm still going to buy it :). I'm going to the US this spring, maybe I could buy one over there? Is a US-version of the wacom 12wx compatible here in Europe?

Regards,

Johan

Cant imagine that anything would be different. Possibly if its connected to the electrical net, which im not sure of (major turnoff imo). And in that case, just use an adapter.

Computer products are pretty global :P

But theres always warrenties..

Guest w i l l

Has anyone is the UK bought one of these? Any tips on where to buy?

Anyone importing from the US?