Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest designkidd

Carl Liu And His Design Book

thanks milleniac for that tutorial. it's really interesting to see how he works with pencil and markers only. gnomon workshop should ask him to do a video tutorial ^_^

I finally got his book :) it's bilingual (english & chinese). That book is so unique and very enjoyable to read. He writes about his design philosophy and explains a general design process (useful for first year students), but the most interesting part is the collection of his amazing sketchwork (ideation sketches,concept sketches, storyboards and exploded views) with additional comments. His visual communication skills are superb.. I have never seen such strong sketch skills before. So i think it's a must read for designers who want to improve their sketching abilities, cause looking to his work is certainly learnful..at least to me.

Guest design_addict84

Hi all

Does anybody know if its available to buy outside of Asia. Tried almost everwhere but cant seem to find Carl Liu's design book in the UK.

Any help pls!!

Guest mingmon86

somehow carl liu seems to be a real down to earth ID...hehee...might we well known back home in taiwan...i get to knw abt his book when of my classmate brought to class..and since that...every classmate of mine including me bought his book..a well presented book...id would say the most informative ID book for begineers..hehe..even our lecturers are using his book as inspirational thoughts...ever since then the juniors are basically using them as their text book and they are coming up wit awesome sketches which the the seniors cant draw as well as they do...

Guest design_addict84

mingmon86, did you buy the book online or is it only out in Taiwan.

Heard about his book but its doesnt seem like you can buy it anywhere outside Taiwan.

Do you have a link to the website?

Thanks

Guest mingmon86

hey desgin addict 84.....

im based in msia and one of my local design book retailer has alot of Carl Liu design book..i guess its cost around RM80 to RM90.....as for the website...im not to sure abt it...why don u survey any bookstore around your area there for this design book...hehe..hope this helps..

Guest design_addict84

Man, looks like its only out in Asia then! Thanks mingmon!!

I guess im gonna have to wait till december (going to Singapore), hopefully they stock it over there!

If anyone else know where you can purchase his book online give me a shout!

cheers

Guest +bounce+

I worked with Carl in the U.S. a few years back, he has a reputation as the best of the best, his techniques and sketches influenced a lot people. I was really young at the time and was highly influenced by his style as well, he is one of the best I've ever seen...

Guest evolve
I worked with Carl in the U.S. a few years back, he has a reputation as the best of the best, his techniques and sketches influenced a lot people. I was really young at the time and was highly influenced by his style as well, he is one of the best I've ever seen...

By any chance was this at astro studio?

Guest mingmon86

great exposure to meet up wit carl...once i met up wit karim rashid,kustaa saksi,jaime hayon and the walking chair...amzing people filled with inpirations and the best was karim..his presentation was breathless....he was basically presenting for 20 min non stop....by the end of his presentation...everyone was jus stunned...awesome..

Guest alylin
hey desgin addict 84.....

im based in msia and one of my local design book retailer has alot of Carl Liu design book..i guess its cost around RM80 to RM90.....as for the website...im not to sure abt it...why don u survey any bookstore around your area there for this design book...hehe..hope this helps..

hie i've been looking all over for this book... where is this local book retailer located? thanks a bunch :D

Guest design_addict84

Thanks for the link!

I ve been waiting ages for this to come out in the U.K! I can finally get my hands on one!

Cheers again

Teck

www.tecksoh.com