Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew Kim

Sketch Thread - Andrew Kim

Guest Crit7171

MOOORREE WATERCOLOR!

Well, I decided to start a proper thread for posting my sketches/rendering. I'll try to post as often as I can... Here is a bunch of random crap:

I picked up marker paper a while ago, and here was my first attempt (design based on someone else's sketch, hope they don't mind...):

dsc0059dh6.jpg

And my second (about 2 months old, still not done):

dsc0061us6.jpg

With water color:

dsc0058gv5.jpg

Random stuff I did during my boring classes today:

dsc0062io5.jpg

dsc0065rv2.jpg

dsc0066uf9.jpg

Well, there isn't much to say, but I'd appreciate any criticisms. Thanks~!

Guest Crit7171

Yo drewsta check out my sketch thread lol theres some new stuff in there you haven't seen before...

Guest Andrew Kim

Posted a reply on your thread. BTW, I'm busy working on my Peugeot Design entry so there won't be sketches from me for a while. Also, I'm currently working on my acrylic paintings, so that will further delay more sketches.

BTW, as you guys know, I'm not going into automotive design, so I'll be posting mainly ID sketches from now on.

Guest Crit7171

Finally lol you've been hiding those sketches in your room for weeks.

Guest jonnydark
Thanks man, I also got the design book from UMEA that you recommended. You're of great help~! ^^b

What book is it? I'm curious what someone with your talent could use!

Guest Andrew Kim

JULY/27/2008

Hey guys, I've been quite busy with the Peugeot Design Competition. You can see my entry here: http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9247

I have also been working on a new cellphone and a couple of paintings, so there was no time for real sketches. I will show you a painting that I finished recently. I'm thinking of doing some sketches today, so they'll be up by tomorrow or today.

2707320221_e7a3d5cec4_b.jpg

About 20 x 40", done in acrylic colors.

Guest Crit7171

I'd like to start off my usual critiques on your paintings by saying that you put really good thought into the the lighting of the piece, I can tell right away that the light is coming from the left side judging from the hair, and the gradation you put in the background.

Whats interesting about this piece that the colors are so bright yet the facial expressions look sad, adding to that that the bunnies look as if they had sensed something was coming maybe something bad. That being said it was a pretty cool difference between good and evil there.

A friend agreed on this too, maybe if the birds were hiding under the umbrella rather than sitting on the tree's it would've made a little more sense.

As usual you painted the piece very well but some of the bunnies look cartoonish. I think that you tried drawing them from your head when you could've found a picture of the same bunny online if you really searched for it. I know because I have seen rabbits in the same posture as the one in the painting. I've noticed you really like to go in detail with your paintings when it comes to hair or string in general like the grass.

The grass, and hair look very nice, I think this is a skill you could take advantage of and paint something with the same look like yarn everywhere or fur next to something very heavy but smooth.

More on the painting you could've given some more clarity to the arm, I can see the paint brush strokes you used which makes the arm look boxy rather than smooth. I know you didn't want the boxy effect because the faces are smooth.

More on the girl, the nose is flat because of the white. You see that straight line you painted on there by the nose, if it were curved you could've still had the same effect without making the nose look flat.

Heres a different view from an artist I showed your painting to, her take on this was that it resembled a lovers connection, because it looked as if she was dreaming of him in an innocent way which is why the guy ( the other lover ) was never there for her because he wasn't looking at her. So without him she felt bad like on a rainy day which is why there are umbrellas. But he still had birds on his mind ( Other lovers ) On top of that the butterflies resemble other distractions in his mind because they are only surrounding him.

I'd like to add that the girl only had one bird too because she is thinking about only one person.

Guest Andrew Kim

Wow... that's a really in depth comment, thanks for the detailed feedback.

Here is the concept of the painting:

Most people take nature for granted, but it is fact that we are embedded into it, hence the 2 figures being a part of the trees and grass. Also, nature is always there for us, and on our side. The left figure is in a good/normal mood, and as you can see, the animals are there to keep her in this mood. The figure to the right is sad, and because of that, the trees have blossomed umbrellas to protect her while she recovers from her scars.

Well, thanks, and I'll keep your constructive criticisms on my mind.

Guest Andrew Kim

JULY/28/2008

s1030948jf1.jpg

s1030951sn3.jpg

@#$@#$ it... I had to send my camera to Nikon to get the CCD fixed. Used my mom's camera, so the quality is really really crappy. I wasn't able to focus because the album of my favorite artist, Seo Taiji is coming out today. More sketches to come soon.

Rockstar quality work. I've seen shittier sketches coming straight out of the actual car design studios. I can't even imagine what your work will look like after 4 years of school.

You're really starting to develop your own sense of style which is great and I think it's working well. Keep it up.

Guest Andrew Kim

AUGUST/9/2008

s1030956ik9.jpg

My camera is still at Nikon and there is no news of it... I was going to wait till I get it back but it's taking too long. Here is just one of the sketches I did this week.

Guest Andrew Kim

Not sure what you mean by overlay...

It was done in this order:

- sketch with pencil

- go over significant lines with pen

- erase most pencil

- maker

- pen

Thanks for the replies!

Guest tadosempe

FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK. And to think that can't even apply for undergraduate programs is crazy. Keep going man, your stuff is GREAT.