Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew Kim

Sketch Thread - Andrew Kim

Guest Andrew Kim

Well, I decided to start a proper thread for posting my sketches/rendering. I'll try to post as often as I can... Here is a bunch of random crap:

I picked up marker paper a while ago, and here was my first attempt (design based on someone else's sketch, hope they don't mind...):

dsc0059df12dh6.jpg

With water color:

dsc00538gv5.jpg

Random stuff I did during my boring classes today:

dsc0034562io5.jpg

dsc0065466uf9.jpg

Well, there isn't much to say, but I'd appreciate any criticisms. Thanks~!

I really don't think you're 15. I think this is all some big elaborate sham and you're writing a blog about how you coaxed the internet into believing that a 15 year old could be that good.

I'm sure I could do some nitpicking here about proportions, and why you need an A pillar on the last one, but thats all pretty unnecessary. For your first post it's clear you have a pretty good understanding about line weight and perspective. If you keep practicing and improving at the rate you've shown so far, you'll be better than most college graduates by the time you're out of high school. Which scares the piss out of me. :lmao:

With that said -- your marker stuff is better than anything I've ever done and probably will ever do in the medium. Finish high school already and go get your degree.

Guest Andrew Kim
I really don't think you're 15. I think this is all some big elaborate sham and you're writing a blog about how you coaxed the internet into believing that a 15 year old could be that good.

I'm sure I could do some nitpicking here about proportions, and why you need an A pillar on the last one, but thats all pretty unnecessary. For your first post it's clear you have a pretty good understanding about line weight and perspective. If you keep practicing and improving at the rate you've shown so far, you'll be better than most college graduates by the time you're out of high school. Which scares the piss out of me. :lmao:

With that said -- your marker stuff is better than anything I've ever done and probably will ever do in the medium. Finish high school already and go get your degree.

Aww... You are too kind. I really need to owe you one, you have been of so much help ever since my first post. Anyways, I'll continue to practice, which is what supposively makes "perfection". lol

Also, if you really don't believe me, I'll post a picture of myself or something... But I hope you guys can trust me.

PS: What is an "A pillar"? I've also heard things about B and C pillars or something, but have no idea what it means...

Guest mingmon86

Your sketches and rendering is just amazing.hats off to you, being a young designer who can draw and illustrate so well.There isnt a single doubt that, the industry out there had an eye for you...probably just waiting for you to grad !!!..

I agree totally wit cyberdemon.Keep up that good work and i thought it was just a mock to say that youre 15 years old..ehehe..cheers to u mate..

The pillars are what seperates the glass. In the case of the A pillar, it seperates the windshield from the front window. The B pillar (which *some* cars dont have) seperates the middle windows, and the C pillar is the back window + rear glass. This link goes into some of that:

http://www.style4cars.com/index.php?option...1&Itemid=66

Notice how your last car the front glass runs right into the side window. While some cars have full wrap around windows (at least concepts) generally there needs to be something there to support the different pieces of glass.

Imagen_2_-099-copy.jpg

There used to be some better links labelling the different design elements of the car, but its useful to start understanding. There are a bunch of car design books floating out there that are also handy if you're into cars. Understanding terms like the belt line, DLO (day light opening), etc are all useful when discussing car deisgn.

Guest A17

i never liked the Saab Aero X Concept that much, but being 15 and drawing that well is nice, im 15 too, about to be 16 in 1 week,

But that Civic. Oh my *** Lord.. That is un-Freakin'-believable! it looks SO real.. Markers? Im still trying to adapt to the big chistletip of my prismacolor markers (i kind of regret buying them)

Guest Andrew Kim

Just wanted to post a few sketches... Sorry about the poor quality photos, I have no scanner and since it is night here, there is almost no light in my room

Fixed up that drawing from before (It has an A pillar now!)...

dsc0004pfdr8.jpg

Something with more attention to design (I'll finish up the front view).

dsc0002bsdfe8.jpg

As usual, all criticisms and comments are welcome.

PS: That blurring to the right is from light reflecting off the lead...

The last drawing is sort of interesting, but I think proportionally it's too narrow, and the back might be a little bit too flat - make it a bit chunkier with some jutting elements that integrate into that bumper design you've got, and it'll strengthen it.

Also, mind your ellipses. Your back wheel seems to be off.

Line quality is very nice...better than mine, and you're 3/4 of my age (sigh).

Guest tarngerine

Dude you are so hard core and cool

I wish my art teachers didn't make me hate drawing in high school.

Why are koreans so good at everything

Guest Andrew Kim

Thanks guys,

I was hoping that you wouldn't dig some of my old stuff out but whatever. lol

I personally think that I've improved from before, so I'll start posting more sketches now (you be the judge). However, I haven't used markers since last year so I'll have to do some relearning. haha

Guest jmc

You've got an incredible skill for sketching, especially for your age!! Jeez I thought you were a pro when I saw that LG phone you've made on Photoshop. You've got a great future in design for sure, or in illustration at least!

Some of your sketches have some slight perspective mistakes but you will learn to correct them with time. Your lines are fluid and very sharp, you draw extremely well. Your marker technique is unbelievable, as good as many professional designers for sure!

And please tell me what mediums and techniques you have used for the blue Civic drawing, it's simply breath-taking!! I don't really know what water-coloring means. If you could just explain your processus it would be great!

:)

Guest firecracker

Your ability to produce exciting detailed colour rendering is phenomenal!

You obviously have great natural ability in that,

Im 23 and have only just begun to learn how to apply photo colour type effects down on paper.

And I mean the REAL BASICS! just he idea of where to put highlights and shadows is very new to me, and figuring out how to use colour appropriately is a true challenge.

But your ability in this area is amazing, its the kind of thing people practice for years and slowly develop through hundreds of illustrations.

The fact that you can achieve such amazing effects in water colour proves this to me,

theres so few people using water colour and creating tutorials, it really does seem to be inherent freaky skills you have.

Something I am very surprised by though, is your basic sketching and application of perspective.

It seems more like the average 15 year old, and almost doesn not fit with your dazzling rendering ability.

Fixing up perspective takes a few minutes, where as figuring out how to colour something so well - I would find so daunting Id be scared to begin! and then It would probably take me many attempts over many days.

Guest Andrew Kim

JUNE/23/2008

OK, I've only been spending time designing cellphones, so enough play and lets get some work done.

2605745135_964cb7416d_o.jpg

2605744635_7f8d3a9809_o.jpg

-Done on a standard 9x12 Canson sketch book with Copic Markers and Faber-Castell pens; as usual.

The main thing that I keep in mind now is the emotion of the sketch. I feel that the sketch style should suit the object being displayed. Also, I think my perspective and style has improved, but that is up to you guys.

Any comments are welcome, as long as they are constructive.

Great stuff - check out Scott Robertsons DVD on drawing vehicles, he has a great little segment on drawing 5 spoke wheels in proportion (yours have that kind of squished look where the spokes aren't evenly spaced). The whole DVD though is great motivation and has some good techniques on learning to nail your perspective.

Guest Andrew Kim

Thanks man, I also got the design book from UMEA that you recommended. You're of great help~! ^^b