Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bizzo

Portable washer/dryer combo

Guest Bizzo

thought i would include these shots too...i had to chop the model up in rhino for the 3 axis milling machine.

post-7-1107820985.jpg

Ah.. that's very nice, how long did the milling process take (I assume the material is foam)?

Very nice looking model you have there (even though it's half size, what are the dimensions for this model (about 15 inches in lenght?)

Guest Bizzo

thanks for viewing Renzu

total milling time was about 22 hours. i reduced the toolpath to cut down on sanding. id rather have the machine work for me :ph34r: . the material is ren shape (sands and cuts like wood)

the model dimensions are 9 in wide by 10 in tall by 10 inches deep. i really wanted to make a full size model but ren shape is pretty expensive and really out of my budget. i could have used an alternate material such as MDF or the like but i was also under a time constraint.. you cant beat the sanding and material compatabily with fillers such as bondo... total model assembly (after milling of course) was only about 12 hours.

Bizzo

this is a computer rendering of the tote handle up . it can be pulled behind you like a suitcase.

post-7-1107824360.jpg

Guest abhinav

nice work with considerably good and meticulous finish.

I feel there are two phaces in the process of developing a product, where your perception changes drastically. One is, when you move from a hand sketch to a computer model and another is when you move from scale down physical model to a real scale product.

The perception and appearance of the product during these phaces changes incredeblly.

I think u must have felt it the same way throughout the process :-)

Guest akgraphics

that looks amazing!

what did you use to create the shiny finish on the final model?

i would be very grateful if you could talk me through the process! :blink:

Guest Stratiegery01

Hey hey. Interesting concept, I like the idea a lot. The ren foam model came out really nice, you must have had quite a bit of time to work out from the CNC machine; certainly more pacience than I have.

The Rhino model looks great, the shaders acuratly match the textures on the 3D model. A bit of lense flare/to much highlight though, easily fixed.

Great job!

Guest Bizzo

thanks all..

Stratiegery> luckily i had a few previous years of CNC programming and operating skills going into this project. the actual milling took about 20 or so hours and i put about 12 hours into finishing it. i do tend to go a little silly with my rendering blowing them out with over exposure and stark highlights. but i like to think of it as my style as it usually doesnt hurt the final render. i will definately pay more attention in future renders tho and try and keep the "flash" down. thanks again for your feedback.

Akgraphics> the final model is painted with an epoxy mixture i picked up from an autosupply store here. (autozone or pepboys cant remember) fairly cheap and excellent for those who hate waiting for paint to dry.... theres about 4 coats of paint on it and a final gloss coat. ill find the name brand and such on the paint for you when i get back to school. thanks for the feedback.

thanks again all.

bizzo