Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest amir.t

The Story Of Chris Bangle & Bmw

page19_1.jpg

I'll have to disagree on the 3 looking like the 1 series. Their are certainly styling similarities but the proportions of the 1 are much more squashed. The new 3 coupe is drop dead goregous in my eyes - much nicer than the past E46 revisions. The E46 M3 was the only 3 series of that gen that I thought looked any good. The E36's looked great, but the design certainly shows its age.

It's the same ugly styling. Think of a fat chick in an ugly dress. That's the 3 series. Now think of a midget in an ugly dress. That's the 1 series. If you want to talk about gorgeous BMWs, here's a few to chew on:

2990Img_3046_uppload.jpg

am3_36.jpg

DSCN0062.JPG

Guest amir.t
It's the same ugly styling. Think of a fat chick in an ugly dress. That's the 3 series. Now think of a midget in an ugly dress. That's the 1 series. If you want to talk about gorgeous BMWs, here's a few to chew on:

Hi!

yes these are so beautiful! specilly the 8 Series. i love it!

but compare them with new cars, they are diamonds with dust on it, need to be cleaned alittle!

Guest amir.t

Hi!

yes these are so beautiful! specilly the 8 Series. i love it!

but compare them with new cars, they are diamonds with dust on it, need to be cleaned alittle!

I think the E46 M3 is probably the best looking BMW to date, but I also think that the current 3-Series coupe is fantastic. Low, wide, clean detailing, interesting surfacing...

I love the homologation-special look of the E30 M3 (and I'm a sucker for box fenders), but the E36 never really did it for me. It's got nice simple lines, but falls short of being especially mean or elegant looking. The 8-series is certainly no stand-out in my eyes...pop-up headlights on a BMW don't work, and it looks painfully dated.

Then again, I'm in love with the M Coupe. I don't like Bangle's detail design (head and taillights and the front fascias are usually fussy), but whatever else you want to say about him, he's a master of surfacing. I would largely credit him with the recent renaissance in car surface design.

BMW-Z4_M_Coupe_2006_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Guest SmartDust

The exterior of a car is one thing, but a car is more than its shell. The "customer experience" :) . Dashboard layout, the controls and feedback, active and passive safety, sound, smell , engine and efficiency, road behaviour etc...

After all those years BMW is still struggling with its I-drive interface for example, a real nightmare to use.

JD Powers added design errors to its metrics and because of this BMW dropped in their ratings.

In a recent crash test the 5 series were not up to par with other cars in their category.

In the recent 3 series, they moved the buttons to open the front door windows from the central console to the doors itself. Result, the passenger has a hard time reaching for the button because the door handle sits in the way, safety belts don't roll up and get trapped in the door etc...

On the other hand, BMW's efficient dynamics initiative has a big impact on "greening" most of their portfolio whilst Toyota produces a few eco flagship models and leave it at that and yet they are perceived more eco minded in the market.

The styling of a car is important but the designer should look at the whole.

Guest superbad

All those pictures tell me is that BMW hasn't built a good looking car since the 2002 went out of production. Yeesh, what a bunch of barkers.

(OK, the Z8's alright, but they only built a handful of those.)

Guest amir.t
The exterior of a car is one thing, but a car is more than its shell. The "customer experience" :) . Dashboard layout, the controls and feedback, active and passive safety, sound, smell , engine and efficiency, road behaviour etc...

Hi & thanks dear!

you are right. sometimes a company has some problem as you said, like BMW and the I-Drive system, etc , but here we just want to talk about the body design of cars, specially compare the new BMW with old BMW body designs.

in fact in the 80s & 90s, i think BMW looks more sporter than now new BMW looks more luxury and do not have the sport and speeding view of old ones, for example compare the new 3 coupe and the 2 generation ago, just talking about the body view.

But i think they become more beautiful and i'm not agree with the other friends that say BMWs become ugly!

waiting for your comments!

thanjs & bye!

Guest amir.t
All those pictures tell me is that BMW hasn't built a good looking car since the 2002 went out of production. Yeesh, what a bunch of barkers.

(OK, the Z8's alright, but they only built a handful of those.)

Hi dear!

why you said this?! may i ask you which car do you like? Which car is Goodlooking?

I think BMWs are from the world most beautiful cars from the fist days until now!

Guest eco id

I love the E30! It's my favorite generation of the 3 series to date. I own a 1988 E30 325iX coupe with the original diving boards and M-technic aerodynamics package and a 2001 E46 330Ci (Ci = coupe) with the sport and premium packages. I'd take the styling of the E30 over the E46’s any day of the week, although the E46 is fast as hell. The E46 ZHP package has beautiful styling, which includes different double spoke rims and M aerodynamics package. The E46 M3 is also a looker, I'll admit I love it too, but the E30 M3 is definitely my favorite 3 series. The box-flared fenders on the E30 M3 have a lovely shaped athletic hip appeal to me.

The 1972 2002tii with the roundies in the rear is my absolute favorite BMW hands down. It is drop dead gorgeous.

My uncle once owned 6 2002s at the same time, 2 of which were the tii class.

The history of the 2002 goes as follows,

1962 the 1500 saloon hit the market introduced as the "New Class", which saved BMW

1964 the 1500 was beefed up into a 1600

1966 the 1600 was beefed up into a 1800TI

1966 the 2-door coupe was introduced as the 1600-2

1970s the 1600-2 was renamed the 1602

The 1602 had some sporty components added which created the 1602ti

The BMW engineer Alex von Falkenhausen dropped a 2-liter engine into the 1602 and the 2002 was born.

Who styled the 2002? I would love to know this, I can't find any records any where.

All in all, I like what Bangle and his team have done so far.

Guest eco id
page19_1.jpg

I'll have to disagree on the 3 looking like the 1 series. Their are certainly styling similarities but the proportions of the 1 are much more squashed. The new 3 coupe is drop dead goregous in my eyes - much nicer than the past E46 revisions. The E46 M3 was the only 3 series of that gen that I thought looked any good. The E36's looked great, but the design certainly shows its age.

They gave it this "squashed" look so it would resemble the 2002's front.

photo5.jpg

full.jpg

I don't see the resemblence. At all. The 2002 looks great. The new one looks like crap. However, I am a fan of bold, purposeful designs, not designs with curves all over the point without any reason whatsoever. I like function to dictate the design, not design just for design's sake.

Hate to say it but 99% of the automotive world is design for designs sake. Cars are designed to look good and create an emotional bond with the person whos going to spend thousands of dollars on it. From a functional standpoint we'd want our cars to be as smooth and aerodynamic as possible, use the least amount of material in their production, and have the most efficient stiffness and saftey properties.

In the end, the cars would turn into half blobject and half refrigerator. And nobody really wants that.

The reason for design also stems from the tools and processes used in their creation. You couldn't create a modern 3 series 30 years ago if you wanted to. Without the computers and high tech machinery needed to create the complex tooling involved it simply wasn't an option.

Face it, no one will ever agree on car design - attempting to make someone agree with you is like making an athiest go to church. Just won't happen...ever.

/dead horse.