Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest amir.t

The Story Of Chris Bangle & Bmw

Guest amir.t

Hi all!

I started this topic after i work on my BMW CS classic style.

please see this topic first to know why i start this topic.

BMW CS classic

This is the story of a man.

Chris Bangle!

bmw7_2.jpg

the man who changes the BMW design style .

please compare these pictures.

(a bmw picture history archive!

i want to put more pictures as sample but the limitation of the Forum...,)

classic2.jpg

g05bmw326wein37.jpg

2002%2001.jpg

29322AF4A41954651D9AE69F1F4.jpg

bmw-z1-door-down-1_119.jpg

bmw-limited-edition-individual-m6-convertible-9148.jpg

0707_z%202007_bmw_cs_concept%201.jpg

BMW-Design-Ninic-Bangle-van-Hooydonk.jpg

now what do you think about the new BMW design and Chris bangle?!

Are BMWs become better or not in design?

Are they become ugly or beautiful?

waiting for your comments.

Guest amir.t

Hi!

for starting this topic, lets begin with the 3Series.

one of the best sport car ever!

all 5 Generation:

all-5-generations.jpg

www.arabalarmax.com_2007-BMW-3-Series-Coupe-300hp.jpg

2005-330i.jpg

2002-saloon.jpg

1994-3-series.jpg

1985-320i.jpg

1962-3200-coupe-cs.jpg

1936-326-Cabriolet.jpg

waiting for your comments.

Thanks and bye!

The fact you missed the 2002 as a predecessor to the 3 series is no suprise. It's fine if you aren't passionate about cars, but be warned that you can't BS about their design elements around people who ARE passionate about them.

Guest Hazdaz

I am no huge fan of Bangle's designs, BUT they were different.

Let's face it, BMW was getting into a rut - stylistically.

Yea, yea, some would say that it's heresy to say that, but I most definitely consider myself a car enthusiast (and a BMW fan), and all the luxury/sporty cars out there were beginning to look alike. I think some of Bangle's ideas were great - the whole idea of "flame surfacing" and asymmetry was a very neat idea... however in execution, they didn't come out all that great.

When toned-down - like in the new 3 series (and even the 5-series) - it can look fantastic, but on the 6 and 7-series it looks awful.

One thing that all the Bangle-haters need to remember that he isn't hands-on involved with designing next-gen BMW cars anymore, he was actually promoted to Chief of Design throughout the entire BMW company - including the Mini division.

Also while current-gen BMW's might not have many of the 'traditional' BMW styling cues, just look at ANY other car maker. You would be hard-pressed to find another car maker that has the same styling language today as they did even 10 years ago... let alone 20+ years, which is roughly how long BMW has kept it's design language going. Change is not a bad thing... sometimes designs get stale.

I for one absolutely love the direction that the new CS might be moving the company toward... I think this design has tons of potential.

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

It depends on what you mean by "better". Better could be interpreted in many ways to alot of different people.

But by better meaning producing more sales. Hmm who knows what makes a design better than another.

But I do beleive amazing things makes you go WOW. You need to do something different and original. Something amazing and unbeleivable. But from the latest design, I see it as a style of power and strength. It resembles muscles, the face, which is pretty much the same as anything car designs out there. All base on proportion and curves which I am not a real fan off. Throw something different in why dont you, you just think why don't they change something about the form already.

Anyway, have anybody seen the new Lamborghini Reventon? It's one hectic machine, although some of my friends don't like it.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lamborghini-reventon.html

Also while current-gen BMW's might not have many of the 'traditional' BMW styling cues, just look at ANY other car maker. You would be hard-pressed to find another car maker that has the same styling language today as they did even 10 years ago... let alone 20+ years, which is roughly how long BMW has kept it's design language going. Change is not a bad thing... sometimes designs get stale.

That's not what I was bitching about. The reason I was pissed off was that Amir T. basically designed another bangle-esque coupe, but then went on to say he 'drew it's styling from the BMWs of yesterday', and all this other bullshit about 'bmw history', 'throwbacks' etc, when it had NONE of them.

I was never saying BMW or any other marque should or shouldn't do anything retro, I was simply calling Amir out on his BS, because that's what it was: His car design had NOTHING to do with 'classic' BMWs.

Guest amir.t
The fact you missed the 2002 as a predecessor to the 3 series is no suprise. It's fine if you aren't passionate about cars, but be warned that you can't BS about their design elements around people who ARE passionate about them.

Hi!

how its possible to forget the 2002! as i put it's picture in the above.

but i think that BMW recently make the 1 series based on 2002!

am i right?

Hi!

am i right?

Learn to read. I said you forgot it as a predecessor to the 3 series, which it was. You had a picture of it with a bunch of other random classic BMWs, but not the 3 series section.

Guest amir.t

Hi.

i must say that i NEVER said that the new BMW are beautiful but the old one are ugly!

its the changes of design methode from curves to boxes and again the curves!

for example the 1956-'59 BMW 507 & 1997 Z07 concept & BMW Z8.

BMW507blauwopen.jpg

BMW_Z8_front_quarter2.jpg

what do you think?

thanks and bye!

Guest amir.t

Hi!

am i right?

Learn to read. I said you forgot it as a predecessor to the 3 series, which it was. You had a picture of it with a bunch of other random classic BMWs, but not the 3 series section.

Hi dear!

yes you're right about the 2002.

but the 3 Series vehicles can be largely differentiated by the underlying platform:

BMW E21 - (1975–1983) 3 Series

BMW E30 - (1984–1994) 3 Series

BMW E36 - (1992–1998) 3 Series

BMW E46 - (1999–2005) 3 Series

BMW E46 - (2006) 3 Series Convertible

BMW E90 - (2006–) 3 Series Sedan

BMW E91 - (2006-) 3 Series Wagon

BMW E92 - (2007-) 3 Series Coupé

BMW E93 - (2007-) 3 Series Convertible

and you must know the history of the 2002.

The BMW New Class (ended to 2002, etc) was a line of compact sedans produced by BMW and launched with the 1962 1500.

1962-1966 BMW 1500

1963-1967 BMW 1800

250px-1966_BMW1800.jpg

1964-1968 BMW 1600

250px-Bmw_02_2_h_sst.jpg

1965-1969 BMW 2000 CS

250px-BMW_2000_CS_1.jpg

1966-1972 BMW 2000

250px-MHV_BMW_2000.jpg

1968-1976 BMW 2002

250px-BMW_2002_Touring.jpg

and in the 1975 the 3 Series was born with the E21!

250px-Bmw_e21_bc_v_sst.jpg

before that in 1972 the 5 Series was born with the E12!

thanks & bye!

Guest amir.t

Hi again!

i forget to put the 2007 BMW 1 series at the end of series 1.

and it's it.

one of the UGLIEST BMW ever! ( i think)

z09_bmw_1_sedan.jpg