Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cooperkid

"life Saver" Water Bottle

Guest cooperkid

Did anyone catch this latest design??

It's not often a good idea come around - but saw this on my local news the other night and wow... I was gob smacked... this is one clever but simple idea...

A water bottle design that incorporates a filter system and turns dirty river water etc into drinking water in seconds!!

It has already won an award from the defence industry.. I’m sure this design is going to be a real 'Life Saver'!!

Read more about it here

Guest MER

Yeah it's definitely cool. Years ago I worked for Recovery Engineering (since acquired by P&G) which made the PUR water filter systems. They also made small hand held water purification systems for outdoor use. These appear to have higher filtration capabilities. What I thought was really cool was the manual hand held desalinator RE made. I believe (at least at the time) all military planes had them.

MER

Guest olmasters@googlemail.com

Weird coincidence, I was listening to BBC Radio4 (Radio station in the uk) either last night or the night before and they had the guy on that invented this product. A much better idea then shipping gallons and gallons of water around, I mean the price is pretty steep, but isn't most new technology? On of those rare 'innovations' that are just so astoundingly simple but can have increadable concequences!

Ollie :)

Military chiefs are excited because the bottles, which can distill either 4,000 litres or 6,000 litres without changing the filter, will have huge benefits for soldiers who hate drinking iodine-flavoured water.

Yeah cause that is what makes it so great - soldiers not having to drink what they dont like..

Looks cool. Although I've seen a straw or tube that can be use to drink straight from lakes and puddles.

Well with this you can fill your bottle from and drink it on the go, sure beats finding a puddle and crouching over it every time you want a sip.

Guest cooperkid
check out clear2o one of our new products, does the same thing :)

I'm not sure that you can claim that you're product does quite the same thing! I've just worked out your filter system is suitable for only 181 litres... the 'Lifesaver' claims to be able to distill either 4,000 litres or 6,000 litres without changing.

Make me a household distiller that can acheive this and i'll be your first customer.

I think people know that household distillers are a profit making scheme in terms of the filter system. I re-use my filter system 2 to 3 time their life span.

The benefits outweigh the cost 100:1 £200 is a small price to pay for such a 'Lifesaver'!!

Guest Lange
Looks cool. Although I've seen a straw or tube that can be use to drink straight from lakes and puddles.

Well with this you can fill your bottle from and drink it on the go, sure beats finding a puddle and crouching over it every time you want a sip.

... with the istraw you can even drink out of any bottle that you filled with dirty water... and even on the go

(btw: when will it stop that all new product names start with an "i" :) )

Guest cooperkid

(btw: when will it stop that all new product names start with an "i" :angry: )

"i" don't know! he he :D

Guest Bucyrus

The only problem I can see is trusting a filtration process that you can't see. I mean have you ever bought a product that did not work? I guess if a person is used to drinking dirty water and has no alternative, the filter would be a welcome addition. But for those who normally drink clean water, would you be willing to demonstrate the filter just one time by drinking water contaminated with sewage? I wouldn't.

Guest dorager

yar, i do agree with Bucyrus. thou is a good product, but then human trust is still kind of important. also, how sure can it be that the filtered water is 100% clean from faecal water? and how about the durability of that product?

somehow, more information is needed......

Guest laz

yea, i met the guy at DSEI in london, and even tasted the water, it works great, and the designs cool, could have reduced the overall size a bit or make a "sport" verson.

he had just forked out £350k on tooling for getting it mass produced..