Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest amir.t

Bmw Cs-classic

Guest AgentUtah

Hey all.

To Amir, like its been said, the hood............yeah just flatten it, think of what the view might be from the inside, it would be obstructing your vision as a driver, sorry I now everyone else already mentioned it but I'm trying to give you a slightly different perspective on it. On the front "intakes" The fact that you mentioned they're styled after rear or mid engined intakes obviously worked because that's when people thought they were, its good you're trying to maintain harmony with your design but making something look like something its not is not the German way of things and it'll make your car bring up Mustangs and their side "intakes" in conversations about your car.....that's a bad thing. Also I know its easier to 'shop the wheels off another car but if you do try to make sure they match the car, your car has many details and those wheels are a very basic and simple 5 spoke design, they look totally out of place and are obviously not meant for that car, anything that draws thought from your work is just working against you. Finaly speaking of "shopping" things, like someone else already mentioned, the rendering looks not only "soft" but kinda flat and like you maybe went nuts on the gradient tool or something, some sharp definitive reflections would help quite a bit I think. Keep it up though thats how we all get better by putting our stuff up for crits and rolling with it.

To Cash68.........I kinda agree with you and just like me I think you need anger management classes haha :) BM's have always looked nice and classy. The old 7's, the M5's the 8? I still swoon when those things drive by but witn new times come new things Merc Audi and BMW are all out for blood and no matter what us die hard car lovers say and how much we groan those things are selling like crazy and while I think the new 7 could look much better, the 5's side skirts look too flat and have that weird outward angle I also think the new 3 is sexy, the 5's headlights are @#$@#$ nice and the front of the M5 looks totally fu*kable. So hate it or love it one thing we all have to admit is that Bangle put the car design industry on its head and since then his fans are designing alike and his haters are designing against it.....but they all tried stepping it up and that is good for everyone in here.

Just my 2 cents, good stuff.

To Cash68.........I kinda agree with you and just like me I think you need anger management classes haha ;) BM's have always looked nice and classy. The old 7's, the M5's the 8? I still swoon when those things drive by but witn new times come new things Merc Audi and BMW are all out for blood and no matter what us die hard car lovers say and how much we groan those things are selling like crazy and while I think the new 7 could look much better, the 5's side skirts look too flat and have that weird outward angle I also think the new 3 is sexy, the 5's headlights are @#$@#$ nice and the front of the M5 looks totally fu*kable. So hate it or love it one thing we all have to admit is that Bangle put the car design industry on its head and since then his fans are designing alike and his haters are designing against it.....but they all tried stepping it up and that is good for everyone in here.

Just my 2 cents, good stuff.

It's fine if people like Bangle. I don't, but if other people do, cool.... but my problem was him designing a bangle car, then blathering on about 'traditional styling cues'. Uh. Sorry. No. Bangle= new bmw. Everything NOT bangle= old BMW. If you're going to design a 'traditional' BMW that pays homage to the BMWs of yesteryear it should NOT look like a bangle design.

I think thats actually kind of an interesting brief...American motor companies have been milking the "retro" theme for a while. BMW did it with the Mini, it'd be interesting to see them try to revive a concept like the 2002.

I'm mixed on most of the new BMW's. Absolutely LOVE the new 3 coupe/M3, hate the 5 series, like the 7 series after the more recent restylings, and love the 6 series.

Regardless, Bangle was hired to move the companies image forward, not keep it the same. There are certainly some growing pains but I believe that as the dust settles we'll see some very nice cars even if the traditional BMW nutswingers (no offense, I'm BMW nutswinger too) are throwing an e-tantrum everytime a new car rolls out.

I think thats actually kind of an interesting brief...American motor companies have been milking the "retro" theme for a while. BMW did it with the Mini, it'd be interesting to see them try to revive a concept like the 2002.

Have you seen the Mille Miglia 2006 concept?

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/...le-miglia-2006/

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/...ia-2006-design/

Guest amir.t

Hi all & thanks for your comments!

i think its better to put the first sketches of my design to show you the detail of hood.

front sketches

and i must say that the design of most of the old and clsssic car where full of curves.

bmw328tc.jpg

in the 80s most of them become like boxes and in late 90s and now they become full of curves again, because of aerodynamics and etc.

Also i started the new topic about "Chris Bangle and BMW"

lets talk about this subject there.

i put it in Finished Project, maybe it's better to put it in design discussion?!

Chris Bangle & BMW

Hi all & thanks for your comments!

i think its better to put the first sketches of my design to show you the detail of hood.

front sketches

and i must say that the design of most of the old and clsssic car where full of curves.

bmw328tc.jpg

in the 80s most of them become like boxes and in late 90s and now they become full of curves again, because of aerodynamics and etc.

Also i started the new topic about "Chris Bangle and BMW"

lets talk about this subject there.

i put it in Finished Project, maybe it's better to put it in design discussion?!

Chris Bangle & BMW

Yeah. And that picture you posted of that classic BMW does NOT have slits for headlights, which are dictated by lines continued down the side of the car like a sharp crease. THOSE are bangle elements. The car you designed pays absolutely ZERO homage to BMW's history, while just pumping bangle's nutsack a bit more by using some of his design cues. Know what? That is fine. Apparently bangle-izing designs is popular. But don't you DARE try to tell me this is inspired by classic BMWs, because it has nothing to do with them. This is what you aren't understanding. There are two periods in BMW history. Before bangle, and after. What you designed is just another 'after bangle' car. It does not have any details that point to BMW's history before the bangle-ization.

Guest AgentUtah

^ I love it man, you're really passionate, not enough people like you around bro. I totally agree with you. About the Bangle-ization, like I said ppl that dont like him went completely different ways and the ones who do like him are going with his style.

To amir, I saw your first sketch, that windshield is realy funky man dont know how far that would get, and those "curves" on the hood are also really far up and down, you dont have to exaggerate lines in order to get them noticed, some of the best lines in automobiles are the subtle ones that make slight changes, believe me they wont go unoticed. If you want an example take double bouble roofs, the'yre usually not that extreme but you can always point them out right away.

Guest schizotype

no offense, i cant see the classic part. so i expect a "steampunkish bmw" from now on.

what does "classic" means to you in this design, whats your perspective of classism?

'Cause a 2007 Z4 coupe is not a classic, so in this designs i can say the same front lights which are so similar.

take a look at BMW ARCHIVES, how BMWs design line is changing. A 1958 BMW Model 507 Roadster has round frontlights, now the war is over, world economy is better and industrial production technology is still advancing, thus we can make "eye" like curves on frontlights. etc.

Guest amir.t

Hi!

all of us know:

The Z8 was the production variant of the 1997 Z07 concept car, which was designed by Henrik Fisker at BMW's Designworks in Southern California. The Z07 originally was designed as a styling exercise intended to evoke and celebrate the 1956-'59 BMW 507.

BMW507blauwopen.jpg

BMW_Z8_front_quarter2.jpg

are they similar?

also the design of the Z8 was before Chris Bangle.

Guest schizotype

"SURELY" i dont expect identical (means a lot isnt it?) twin phantasies, it has "most" parts of it and "most" "a like" lines. So this mean "yes".

But how your bwm can be compared to a "similar" model? Or which models is it relying on, an 90s Z3? 80s 880? etc.

Guest yogis

well i wouldn`t call it a project, chop - maybe. You could ask Administration of they could make a room for jobs like that.

Guest amir.t
well i wouldn`t call it a project, chop - maybe. You could ask Administration of they could make a room for jobs like that.

Hi dear!

i'm agree with you!

im an amateur with no academic study about designing. i just love cars and love designing ( better to say drawing, by hand or computer).

but i learn a lot in this forum. Lots of thank to the Admin and users for their comments and helps and criticism.

i try learning more & more from all of them.

Thanks all.

good luck!