Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lock 1985

Opep Respiratory Dvice

Guest lock 1985

Hi

I am currently putting in proposals for a Oscillating Positive Expiratory Pressure Device (OPEP) for my final year project at Bournemouth Uni. I have had the project provisionally excepted on the grounds that I can prove it will work and that I can produce a working fully developed product in 22 weeks.

OPEP's are used for treatment of lung conditions such as broncitus and cystic fribrosis and work by producing a positive pressure within the lungs on exhalation causing the lungs lungs to stay inflated and work harder for longer. This in conjunction with a vibrating component causes mucus to be expelled into the larger airway where the mucus can be coughed up.

I have spoken to some manufacturers of existing OPEP devices and have been given quite a bit of support. I have been given the expiratory pressures of 10-20cm H2O (I know that this is the linear displacement of water when air is expelled through a tube into a tank of water). I have also been given the frequency which the vibrating component must oscilate between which is 8.5 and 13.5 Hz. Where I come unstuck is that I am unsure as to how to test that what I design will meet these critera. I am sure that it is possible to calculate these value in theroy using maths but I do not know where to begin.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

Guest Jay08

hey,

Seems like a pretty useful project mate. Is it within budget to buy an existing product and to test and compare against?

I think design evolution is required for this project rather than Revolution so dont set out to start from scratch on a product that already exists.

Testing would therefore require using a pre assessed product with a patient and their carers to assess problems and analyse the situation. I dont think you would have to test technology that has already been proven! This time could be spent proving something you dont already know!

Or if you are required to show that you are capable of putting together a test rig. Look at devloping the bell jar and balloon rig used in GCSE biology. This gives a pretty realistic and accurate representation of the lungs and how they work so could be used as a proof of principle along with some mods!

Just my impressions...