Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sketcher23

Espresso Project

Guest cizimo

I can't feel some new in your ideation sketches .

all of your sketches have hard image, why?

Guest Ares
final render

It is a good job,From your final render,I think the orange one maybe good.why you didn't change that one.

it is just my idea.

Guest Kie

The blobby-design looks neat... is the back side transparent to see the water level?

What about the "frother" and handle for the packed espresso grounds?

Pods is more "ease of use"... some of your sketches also remind me of the Nespresso machines.

Great work and I can't wait to see some more sketches.

Cheers!

Guest Stratiegery01

Great work! I am most drawn to your layout ability, you can depict the development and inspiration very well. Aestheticaly it doesnt look explored enough, little "stand out" when compared to whats already on the market.

Guest enriquevw

Very nice project development, and by the way the representations are high quality, congratulations!

Guest Joseph Hayes

Sketcher,

I too am very impressed with your idea sketches, you've definitely got talent and an eye for perspective. The direction you are going with this new design is looking nice and organic. May I suggest watching "Robots" the animated movie for inspiration? I know I'm late posting but didn't see another final render. Hope you haven't kicked this to the curb, it was fun to follow.

As a busy young person, I would much prefer pods over buying pre-ground or having a grinder, but I am definitely not a purist, just a caffeine junkie that writes run-on sentences.

:lmao:

Guest rnds

Sketcher23, I really enjoy your drawings, they are very well executed.

My big question on this whole project is why should an espresso maker be an "emotional" object?

Why must every appliance in my home be a "design object" ...competing with each other for my visual attention?

I really just want my espresso maker, toaster, juicer, etc.. to quietly sit anonymously until I am ready to use them.

More often than not, it is these very figurative and expressive objects that we get bored with quickest. We are living in a contemporary consumer landscape of design overkill.

Take, for example, one of the most famous consumer "design objects" in the world: Philippe Starck's Juicy Salif.

It is the kind of object that has an instant gratification. It appeals to our impulsive consumerist ego. We find it immediately desirable ......but is it a lemon squeezer or merely a decorative design object?

Its functional shortcomings would suggest that Starck was far more preoccupied with creating an iconic style-statement than with creating a truly functional and useful product.

Jasper Morrison has become increasing concerned about this over-designed landscape, he feels the design profession has become a major source of pollution. He talks about a new approach to design he calls "Super Normal".

Check out this short essay from his website: http://www.jaspermorrison.com/html/8851725.html

post-1904-1206336848.jpg

Guest Impatient Pete

Sketcher, I like your sketching as well. Very nice!

RNDS,

I couldn't agree more. Brilliant essay too!

Pete

Guest mappdaniel

Work looks good i like the concept and how you have laid it out, it might just be me but there is one thing i find about the one board that could be changed. you have said the machine is largely manufactured from plastic but if i was in your position i would have stated the plastic used instead of saying plastic.

just a thought but yeh i like the concept.

Guest benz_id

Hey! sorry to post this reply really late but!!!

first of all i just want to say that it's really a good effort out here that you try to push this project as far as possible.

but what do you mean by "more emotional" ?

that word emotional design has so much more layer than just a skinning re-design as you did

it just depend on the context that you're gonna push your product or final outcome to because sometime the perfect product for one doen't mean it will good for another person, there's nothing such a perfect design in this world

let's put the example of jucy salif. Stark himself once say,his juicemaker doesn't produce juice but it produce "conversation" which will happen when people or USER interact with the design and that's when emotion feeling and PLEASURE come and have their role

what I've leran from my school is "form follow meaning" and by this term the word "form" doens't mean only the form but it mean the entire things such as fucntion ,physical appealing ,color, etc. that together produce a "form" that exist in our realm of perception. and "meaning" means context.

while watching movie for inspiration is always useful when sketching something but may i suggest you the other method

i always think of USER as my major priority when doing the projects and it's not the only end-user

the user should inculde the guy in the factory that gonna put your machine and its parts together to the skill-full barista in starbuck but sure you have to put the priority of concerning depend for your context.

hope this will help you