Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sketcher23

Espresso Project

Guest sketcher23

forkevin: what do you mean by too strong? the colors or the forms?

Also you guys im having trouble finding inspiration for my machine, what do you think I should do, ive sketched a bunch of forms but havnt really found anything that i think works, does this ever happen to you guys?

Guest RouteZeroDesign

I really like the last sketch especially the one where it's head is tilted.

It would look even better if you gave it eyes, eg.have to right eye as the selector dial and the left one as an on/off dial. it wouldnt be too difficult to manufacture it with the head tilted, but it would decrease the space inside slightly.

As For the functionality of the machine, since its aimed at a low cost product you should keep it as basic as possible, However i would advice you to integrate a removable tray in the 'tongue' area of the mouth. I used to work in a restaurant making coffee/espresso/tea etc and we had two coffee machines. one without a removable tray and one with one, and at the end of the night the one without the removable tray was a pain in the @ss to clean.

If your looking for inspiration you should watch some of the dreamworks movies such as toystory 1 or 2, or even better monsters inc.

good luck with your project :specool:

Guest sketcher23

alright first off, thanks to routezerodesign for giving me the idea to look at monsters inc, it was really helpful. These are the forms im playing with now, im trying to go with a really exagerated dial and make it look like an eye. the machine itself i dont know if the form will work because it is mostly a sphere which would be really hard to manufacture. but neways let me know what u guys think....

post-7245-1189660970.jpg

IMO function is king. People want to keep using it because they require it to do something, it is a tool unlike a mountain view or an abstract painting that doesn't really satisfy people's real need to live and function.

IE, you should design it so there is more space, easy to handle (move), one hand operation, affordance, screams out what to do and where etc, easy to clean etc. The more activity you can satisfy thhe better. The stuff you should go crazy, random, expressive is the 2d graphics slight variation in shapes.

Read why this product is the best product in the world!

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/06/id...campaign_id=ds1

Guest Jay08

Skecthing block happens quite frequently to me anyway! Its often I start a sketch not really knowing what its going to look like, and design on the fly!

The monsters inc concepts look great (even if they dont look as they relate to that). I like the speherical form and the enlarged dials. What colours were you intending? i think itd look great as a gloss black and brushed alu finishing.

Love to see a CAD rendering though, i think itd be a great folio piece!

Keep us posted

Guest IDiot

I know I am coming into this discussion very late, but hopefully my comments will still have some value.

Like a lot of others I was impressed by your first two boards. The ideation sketches really seemed like

you were headed in the right direction, but it seems like the design fell a little flat.

Have you looked at the Francis Francis and Nespresso machines? They both have some playful forms, but handle it

in a very different way. The Nespresso Essenza has a lot of really good things going for it, although there are some things that bother me a little about the way some forms are handles and intersect, but overall it's a pretty awesome product. Some of the things that are really great on it are things that you almost have to experience. The clear water reservoir on the back that has some integration into the form, but is also a dedicated separate piece at the same time, has a great little handle that was molded in (4 part mold for upper, with a bottom sonicly welded on (probably not cheap and a detail a designer had to fight for, but when you use it, it works great). The big metal shoe horn type piece on the top is the primary touch point and it rock solid and really conveys that this is a quality machine. Come to think of it, though very different in action, it gives a similar feel to taking a good quality portafilter in and out of a manual machine, which should really resonate with an espresso drinker who uses, or has used a manual machine as well.

The new Monsters inc. inspired design is kind of middle of the road for me, don't hate it, don't love it, and I pretty sure I've seen an espresso machine kind of like it (and I didn't love that one either). It just seems a little unrefined. Looka the Scott Wilson Nike watch on your first page, it has basic forms, but they elegantly flow into each other to make 1 larger cohesive form. The JBL creature speakers also, playful, but pretty much one cohesive form with details for points of interaction.

Based on your first sketch page, I know you have it in you, just keep working at it.

Consider a bigger scale, solid, mechanical detail as a nice point of interaction.

Guest RouteZeroDesign

I really like how youve made the dial into an eye with a blue center, it looks really good. but as others have said i think the ideas on the first page were more playful.

Just an idea for you, if youre trying to make the espresso machine into a character i think it would be cool if you made the character look like its Hyped up on coffee, almost like ike in south park. Kind of a jittery and skittish character.

Adding to this, if its possible to add a strength dial on the machine for different strengths of epresso, it would be cool if the characters eyes changed colour from blue for low strength, upto blood red for max strength.

This would be to poke fun at how too much espresso can give you blood shot eyes.

keep up the good work :specool:

Guest sketcher23

hey guys quick thought i had, if im making this oriented towards a younger crowd and this machine is supposed to be easy and quick, I was wondering if the use of coffee pods was more appropriate than using grinds. What do you think?

Guest IDiot

Pods offer a good quality end product with out the need of a quality grinder (stand alone or built into the machine) I would think that most of your target market may not be willing to drop $100.00 + on a decent burr grinder and have counterspace for it as well after purchasing and making space for your machine, so pods would be a great alternative.

If you plan to have a burr grinder built into your machine you would ofcourse have to accomodate for the components required and the price would be significantly effected.

Pods are often proprietary and fairly expensive, so that offers up a whole new consideration.

Yes, the consumer could buy pre-ground espresso as well, but most coffee/espresso purists would probably not agree with that.

If your target market are not really coffee / espresso purists then maybe it is a viable option.

Have you been to a Bloomingdale's Home store or somewhere else to see all the products that are out there in person?

Talking to some sales people could provide you with some interesting learnings as well.

Guest speedworx

Your sketching is great, the product is very animated, I will say if it helps at all, perhaps to focus on understanding the intention of the product, and the attributes of the final user. These are critical, especially when you design a beverage related product you have those restrains before hand. Design criteria?

To change to pods will mean to understand all the new components the unit will require and the new limitation in design this will bring so would be a start from scratch I think

However great work and good exercise :D

Guest sketcher23

Alright heres some new sketches, im really likeing how the bottom one is, and how you put your cup into the monster mouth, the whole form is more emotional than the original. My only concern is that it is starting to get too blobby. Its not visible yet but i decided to stick with the use of grinds instead of pods. Let me know what you think. I just started a new internship so ive been pretty busy, but ill try to have some new sketches up by the end of the week, thanks!

post-7245-1190073459.jpg

Hi, how are you.

First of all I like your sketches they look “well cool” noticed you have created an espresso machine; you said it was a quick project, I’m just wondering what time frame did you spend on the research/development faze. I too created one of these machines and it took me a while just to understand how the internal components work.