Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sketcher23

Espresso Project

Guest sketcher23

heres an espresso machine I did for school. It was a quick project I am thinking about revisiting. The goal was to make the espresso machine a more emotional product. Any opinions on the process, overall form, and end result or anything are more than welcome

post-7245-1188521321.jpg

Real nice all around development. Great sketches, and a nice final rendering.

My biggest critique is that even though it's a soft green, the final form still feels very rigid to me. I actually really like the orange sketch on the bottom right of your second page with the tapered design, it feels a little more lively.

I would almost like to see it if that knob on the left were developed into something much larger (the same size as the dial on the right). I think that would almost give you this kind of appearance of eyes, a nose/mustache (the stainless steel piece) and a mouth (the cavity). I'm not a big espresso drinker, but I almost like the idea of sticking my cup into this little monsters mouth everytime I want a drink. Just my $.02

Very nice work!

Love the layouts and your sketching work. Have to agree with Cyberdemon on his thoughts. The 'orange' concept seems more likely, but unsure if that would work with the internal components due to its scalloped outside faces, possibly perhaps the reasoning for you designing a 'boxy' shaped expresso machine. Think there are aspects of your design that mesh, though as mentioned the knobs don't quite fit in as well as I think they could.

Look forward to your future work!

Guest sketcher23

thanks for the help guys! your opinions have been great so far....im currently in the process of redoing the form, looking back on it there really isnt a need for the drawer on the bottem tray and removing it will make the machine less chunky. Also since the machine is aimed at a college student, the machine would need to be cheap in cost, so this would probably mean the removale of the temp gauge since most mid level machines dont have one. Ill probably be posting some new sketches soon so ill have some new work on here to look at

I think the final design needs some curves and hard edges blended with the soft overall to make it look better more contrasting, character-istic. Similar to the Nike watch on the first page. I really nice graphics design though. Although I would focus more on designing the product rather then the board design. At the place where I work, clients would want work in progress pages, so you don't really have alot of time and energy on the layout.

But anyways, I really the whole project. Put together a little thumbnail pic and I will post it on the frontpage. =]

Guest Camaro

I disagree about the graphic design part. Your first board captures the energy and spirit of what you were attempting, and you probably did some design thinking that transcended into the product design thinking you did after that mood board. But those lines and character changed in your final design. There is nothing square of cubic in your mood board, but that is what you ended up going with... interesting. (I hope that your CAD model making skills didn't scare you into making a more basic form... I know I suffered from that when I first did CAD. The webcam I designed after my cad class was basically a cube, with radii.)

Your market renderings are beautiful and wildly expressive! They are so much better than the final boards render.

Great work!

Guest sketcher23

Alright guys, heres some sketches i did on redesigning the machine I tried to go for a more contrast between soft and hard forms and also a more emotional form. Let me know what you think about the forms!

post-7245-1189283666.jpg

Guest Jay08

Nice sketches...i really like the style and some forms on that last sheet seem pretty cool...

Just a quick question, what are you using for sketching? BIC and thin felt?

Thanks,

Guest sketcher23

i just use a plain black bic pen on staples printer paper, it looks more vivid because i altered the level with photoshop

Guest JamesUK

really like the angled concept, reminds me of a cartoon tilting its head, i know ive seen the exact imagery in a film or something,its very playful and quirky.