Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest A-train

My Baby Online

I really like some of your sketches. Really nice and strong!

I would take some of the rough sketches. There are too many, I would like to view the best few.

About the web design, not a big fan. The grey gradient is kind of dule and simple.

I would keep it simple, emphasize the pictures and sketch more. Avoid any graphic work all together.

Guest whatisdesign

Hi,

I think your site is nicely laid out and is easy to navigate - always a good thing.

Really like your sketches and your sketching style.

An important factor you need to think of is the width of your website. It just fits on my 1280x1024 screen. Ideally you should design it for 800*600 or at 1024x768 as many users with these screen resolutions will have to scroll horizontally to see the page contents - this can be very annoying.

Keep up the good work.

Guest Bbarn

i personally do not find it that easy to navigate. It would be nice to have the option to skip around when looking at a project rather than having to keep hitting "next". It would be nice to jump ahead multiple pages if I wish to.

Guest R.B

on the front home page, would be nice if in the blurb, there were links to those pages mentioned like projects, sketches etc.

Personal preference, but not to keen on the font used in the text....it's okay on a large screen, but not so well on a small screen, which can be a problem if someone were looking on your site with a laptop perhaps.

Sketches, they are nice, but way to many of them, you want maybe your five best, someone looking over hundreds of portfolios won't have time to bother go into that much depth, so you want to suck them in quickly and leave a distinct impression.

Resume page, just have a standard resume, that's way to many pages to click through for relevant info, people just won't bother....you could include a full, indepth version in your pdf download section, but this page should be quick and easy to view.

Links page, least important, have that after your contacts link.

Guest A-train

The new version is online. I did not change the content that much, just the navigation and the layout. It should be faster also

Let me know if you still dont like it.

Visit My Website

A-train

Guest Strander

I love the scale model of the airplane. Its one of the best student models I've seen.

The process of your projects is hard to follow.

Guest A-train

Thanks for the compliment. It was only 210 different pieces and cost me 3 weeks to build. But then again, it was just for show.

A.

Guest A-train

I finished my portfolio If one of you is interested, go can stab it down or praise it..... or just let me know what you think

PDF portfolio

Cheers

A.

Guest firecracker

hello there Adriaan.

Guess what ?

I was looking at UMEA: Design Sketching , Book today!

Im blown away by the simple clean and totally effective marker work.

its beautiful!

I am a first year product design student myself but I joined my course with no prior Artwork portfolio.

All I have done before is Biro doodles!

I found the Umea style of marker work so beautiful, its not trying to be photo render but is neccesarily realistic and effective.

It looks clean , effortles and very very stylish.

I really want to learn similar techniques but I just cant get used to using markers for even grey, let alon colour.

Did you get "taught" it at school, or is it from your own ideas?

In terms of your portflio,

I have to say I do like the styling of the website letterng/colouring etc.

But the frame arrangement did not work well for me.

I feel you should be able to see development of sketches to model to prototype.

With annotations.

If you did that, you could get away with only a few items in your portfolio, but you have so many!

It devalues them, and does not show them to full potential.

Guest Jet Designs

Hey A-train,

Nice portfolio, lots of good projects in there.

I am a UK based student looking for a Masters course abroad. Would you mind if i asked about your experiences at UMEA? Ive looked through the website and it looks the perfect course but would just like to hear some actual students feedback and what they think of the institute.

Thanks

Elliot

Guest A-train

Thanks for the compliments

Will start working in the beginning of 2008 so the easy life is over.

A.

Guest bgp3te

really really nice work, your site is nicely laid out aswell.

I love your rendering style its been mentioned above aswell, out of interest what paper do you use? I can never reach the saem final result with markers.

Once again brilliant stuff!

Guest A-train

Most of the marker drawings I use a rough pencil sketch as underlay. Its mostly a scribble and a search to get a good line and feeling. Then you take a piece of bleed proof marker paper and paper clips and put your pencil drawing underneath. trace the drawing freehand and correct if necessary some perspective. I use a set of Copic markers, cool and warm gray to give the drawing some feel, then one or 2 color markers (I have letraset because I already had them before my copics) never use to much different colors. To much color takes away the shape I think. its only to bring the drawing alive. I like to use a selection of 5-6 colors all the time within one project, it keeps the drawings kind of similar and more readable if you flip through the bunch.

After marker, take some French curves and but the pencil lines back, they tend to fade with marker so... you have to contrast them more. I use a verithin or a prismacolor black.

Once that is done, you scan it in, take the wacom tablet out and clean up your work, put some more contrast in and play with the levels. then take a brush put in on opacity 50, overlay and sketch in different layers with warm and cold grays over your drawing to give some more depth to it all.

Its a lot of work but ... .mostly I sketch first in pencil, make a selection to marker it in.... then scan all those, and make a selection of what is good enough to finish in photoshop.

Happy new year

A-train