Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RoadMaster

Final Year Engineering Project

Guest RoadMaster

Hello pple,

Unfortunately was long time I go that I post something here, and was a question about SW.

Today is different, I designed a wheel in carbon fibre to be used in the Formula Student. It will be my final year project of my course.

I'm not an Artist as many of you. But I love to see many of the stuff in this forum that I regularly check.

Please feel free to criticize.

(the design was made using CATIA V5 and hypershot for rendering)

post-7701-1187727275.jpg

post-7701-1187727587.jpg

Guest ED08

Nice! It is hard to do wheels that are tasteful, not over designed, good proportions and from a marketing point of view able to go on many cars. In my opinion you have succeeded in this. EG - ID guy.

Guest kcraik

i love the use of the HDRI image as reflections on the rim.

only 1 crit tho...try turning of the reflections of the floor in the grass image. (grass doesnt have a shiny, flat and highly polished surface)

Guest petit-singe

What your rim doing in this meadow without its tyre at least?

No, just to say that you'd better render it in a showroom or studio, I think. Or outside, but mounted on a car, in situ.

++

Guest iliffe

I know your not a design student however it looks like youve got alot of knowledge is 3d modeling and rendering software.

The thing that is bugging me is the top render in the fact that the grass in the foreground of the picture is blurred when the wheel is crisp. surely the front grass would be as crisp as the wheel render?.

Also take the comment in about the relflection and how it would not happen.

A nice rim design though its nice to see that youve steered away from having bits and bolts everywere creating a tacky looking wheel.

Good stuff chap.

Lew.

Guest kaiza

for an engineer you're not a bad designer :P

i know because we've been working with our engineering dept for FSAE too. these wheels look awesome, are you planning to put them through some FEA? or actually make and test them?

Guest RoadMaster
for an engineer you're not a bad designer :P

i know because we've been working with our engineering dept for FSAE too. these wheels look awesome, are you planning to put them through some FEA? or actually make and test them?

Of corse I'm going to run FEA. I'm using Catia FEA but also Abaqus. Abaqus as better tools for Carbon Fibre.

At the moment is a bit heavy! I'm trying to reduce the weigth further more...

(at the moment the whell weigths +/- 800 gr (includes the aluminium hub)

Thanks for all the comments made towards my project.

Guest RoadMaster

Thanks for all the critics... I'll make some more variations and I'll upload here later...

New render

post-7701-1189196753.jpg

Guest Thanatos

It´s a nice rendering! But the wheel looks so lonley on the picture without a car. Maybe you should think about putting some tyres on your wheel! It would look more interessting, realistic and persuasive, when the people see that your wheel works also (with tyres) and not just looking good. ;-)

Guest Jay08

Great modelling and renderings of both the TT and This topic!

On that note, anyone know of good car modelling and advanced surfacing tutorials in solidworks? Or even model tree structure tips?

Thanks

Guest Julien Levesque

On that note, anyone know of good car modelling and advanced surfacing tutorials in solidworks? Or even model tree structure tips?

Thanks

Hi there!

this is my first post on this forum! yippii!

So I wanted to know how are you going to mold this will? did you design the molds? can you please show that work!?

and for the person above, I have done some surface modelling in SW but not much... anyway here is the result if I can be of any help just ask!:

http://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/Etudiants/MiniBaj...jpgIMG_6202.jpg

http://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/Etudiants/MiniBaj...jpgIMG_6460.jpg

http://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/Etudiants/MiniBaj...jpgIMG_6300.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Julien

Guest RoadMaster

Thanks

Hi there!

this is my first post on this forum! yippii!

So I wanted to know how are you going to mold this will? did you design the molds? can you please show that work!?

and for the person above, I have done some surface modelling in SW but not much... anyway here is the result if I can be of any help just ask!:

http://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/Etudiants/MiniBaj...jpgIMG_6202.jpg

http://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/Etudiants/MiniBaj...jpgIMG_6460.jpg

http://www.gmc.ulaval.ca/Etudiants/MiniBaj...jpgIMG_6300.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Julien

First of all sorry of not replying earlier. I been really busy with other stuff ( projects, finishing the flat were I'm living etc...)

I'm doing the tool also in Catia V5 but due to the load of work I did not finished yet... Soon that I finish I'll post here.

About the critics, I'll put rubber around the wheel and insert in a car. I'll post here soon I finish...

(It can take a bit of time...)

It certainly has potential. I think if you tightened up the detailing a bit, maybe change the (fairly generous) fillets to chamfers it would have a crisper, more technical look. At the moment, it feels a bit too 'soft' to me. Also, careful with the interaction between the outer rim and the slot. The slot terminates very close to it, with a softer rad than on the other end...it might look better if the two spokes never converged again and met the rim separately. Or if you want them to converge, maybe try it farther away from the rim, with a radius similar to the other side for a bit more unity.

I'm nitpicking, though. Nice work.