Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RRG

portfolio printing?

Guest RRG

Hi,

Anybody know any good recources to have a portfolio printed professionally (printing house)?

Could you share any experiences if you've already done so.

I'm looking into printing mine at a printing house, since i've had medicore results printing @ home with the EPSON 1280 printer. Don't get me wrong the printer is very good, but i was hoping to get "magazine" or "auto brouchure" type results when i print my portfolio, and the epson won't do.

So any links or printing company names would help in my search.

also if you recommend any good heavy weight paper that i could print color on both sides, that would help too.

thanks

Are you printing with the Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper. I use that and get excellent results. It takes a little experimenting with the settings to get it to print really well. Make sure you go into the custom settings and uncheck "high speed", it's normally on with the presets.

I'm kinda cheap and I think personally I will print it at our uni's colour laser printer.. the results look pretty good, except for some lines running across the image in the ink.. looks a bit as if the ink has various thickness.. the results aren't as nice as printing them on a colour inkjet/bubblejet, but the problem is I don't have a printer here that can do that kind of quality on paper sizes bigger than A4 and I also don't feel like paying hundreds of euro's for an offset print.. My pages will go in a plastic protection sleeve so any irregularities in the ink from the laserjet probably won't be visible.

If you're going to print on A4 sizes, I'd recommend working at 300 dpi and printing them on a proper photo printer, say Canon I4000.. you'll get better print quality with that than a book or brochure print.

If you can't print on a photo printer (know nothing about your specific printer) I recommend a copy shop or uni print shop.

A pro printhouse working with proper press techniques will be a lot more expensive, and you've got to decide if that fits in your budget..

Guest RRG

Thanks for the quick reply guys,

maybe i should be a little more explainatory: my overall dimentions are 19x8 landscape format, so when i open it up it would stretch out to 38x8. I don't know of any paper that size that accomedate my printer or any home printer for that matter and the only thing that i could think about using is epson's 13in rolls but they only come in a super high gloss finish that i don't want since it would leave alot of figure prints after a couple of views.

I know hi-end design magazines such as CLEAR, use a very nice heavy weight matt finish/low gloss paper that would be ideal, if i could get my hands on it. but the problem is, if anyone knows where to send my stuff to print it afterwards.

if i'm chasing a rabbit without a tail on this one, let me know and i'll try to find other solutions, thanks.