Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sketch

How To Make Mdf Look Like Plastic

Guest sketch

Hi guys,

I am making a very large organic appearance model - which is too large and complex for it to be vacuum formed without the right equipment. Besides, the thickness of each part is 15mm - which is also very expensive if it were real plastic.

I'm thinking of making it out of MDF, with the hope to achieve a realistic plastic finish.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to make MDF look like realistic plastic. I have tried to vac form separate parts so there is a 3mm 'Skin' of plastic to the MDF which was very successful, however, some parts of the model would still remain too large and complex for them to be vac formed skinned.

Is there a plastic type of lamina that I can apply using a hot air gun, which when heated can take the shape of the MDF? I want to cover the outer surface and the edges with one piece of plastic - so it looks as if the separate parts are made of plastic and pieced together.

Help!

Sketch

Guest sketch

Hey,

Thanks lookdadnotunes, I read that topic before posting - but it didn't quite clear things up for me - as i'm interested to know if such a lamina plastic sheets exists.

Guest James Brown

Hi guys

You could try Solarfilm, which is a polypropylene sheet used for covering model planes. As far as I know you lay it out and use heat from an iron or heat gun to apply, although I've never used it so you'll have to experiment. You may have a problem with shrinkage, but its worth a go.

You should be able to get it in most model shops, or online (www.ripmax.com)

Hope this helps.

James

Guest aplecko

for this you'll need some time and patience but i think u'll get what u want.

1. use soft sandpaper on your model until it is smooth

2. Apply moulding kit in really thin layers(i dont know the right name for it on english but it is used for fine body repairs on cars etc.(best in spray can))

3. Let it dry good!

4. sandpaper/polish it until it is textured the way u like(i.e. glossy)

5. use hi reflection spray paint(some montana's are good but not all)(test it before u apply)

6. let it dry and then polish

:u will get plastic look...

---

other solution is to buy 1mm FOREX and try to sculpt it to your model using heat gun.

cheers

See if you can find Di-Noc. It's a laminate film from 3M that's used in the auto-industry for full-sized clay models. I'm not sure if it's flexible enough for what you're trying to do, though, as I've never used it (and certainly not for intricate detailing).

If you used very thin plastic (less than 1mm) to vac-form it, and just left it on the model, primed and painted that, you should get all the definition and a smooth finish, no?

Guest sketch

Thanks guys,

Awesome advice, Turbofrog - I tried to Vac form it, but the pieces are too large for the machines we have. I've checked out the 3M Di-Noc - I think it will do the trick, as its large enough.

The solar film rolls are not wide enough, but thanks for you input James Brown.

If all fails - I think i'l have to go before tradional spray paint, sand paper and elbow greese!

Thanks for all your input. <_<