Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Khalid

Kitchen Appliance Set (final Bachelor Work)

Guest Kie

Khalid, thank you for posting your sketches along with the final renders. Seeing your work flow was inspirational. Were those sketches done on a single sheet of A4 paper?

Guest Khalid

No its not one sheet. I would have to be mad if i draw it on single sheet. It was about 7 papers of a4 sheet, scanned then composed in photoshop.

I'm realy glad, that my work inspired you.

Guest Krisztian Brizs

Excellent work. For your own reference, see if you can try this. On the toaster, remove the bread and in the middle and farthest from viewer slot add solid arrows in each slot with a slight arc pointing up, making the farther one 2 times higher. Make the middle one yellow and the farther one grade from orange low, to red high. If this stays consistent with the rest of the image match it with all the other appliances for consistency and it will stand out more technically than with one appliance that has food. The design is really excellent.

Guest eschel

Hello

Cool that you show your designs here, I hope it is ok that I give you a little critique on them.

In my opinion you would have been able to extract more meaning and strength in the designs if you had given yourself some kind of direction. With this I mean a short research and then chose some elements that you wanted to focus on. This will not only make the design more edgy and differentiated, but it would also give you more input to make your shapes. As I see it these designs try to boost the shape of the product rather then the functionality of the product itself, but the shape is not the identity of the product the identity is primarily the function they have, especially if it is a tool.

Personally I think the designs are too cartoonish for my taste. There are no clean cuts or hard edges where the shape has been stopped. Everything is floating around. This for me makes the design to sweet to nice it has no will of its own it seams purposeless. The product and its shape have to tell a story, and be exact about it, this can be achieved by making more hard decisions, and not just letting it flow nicely. There are no line differences on the surface of the products, every line is wide and a bit bulky, this also makes it none decisive, the product has to say something, want something. Hard decisions can only be taken if you have an idea of where you want to go with the design, that is why it is so important to get this straight first.

I hope you can take the critique, I see there is allot of you in the shapes but bring out more of the products identity. What does it stand for what does it do, is it sharp, loud, strong or even dangerous?

I think you have done a great job on the designs as a series, they have the same shape language and you show a wide range of shapes based on very little direction which also is quite phenomenal. Imagine if you had chosen to have more of a context of where you wanted to go with it, then you would be able to do amazing things. Keep up the god work.

Eschel Jacobsen

Guest Lilith
...There are no clean cuts or hard edges where the shape has been stopped. Everything is floating around. This for me makes the design to sweet to nice ....

who the hell needs clean cuts or hard edges here ????? why stop the shape? whats wrong with everything floating around and how the hell something can be too sweet or too nice??? sorry couldnt resist....

the job you have done here is amazing indeed, if i had done something like this i would feel myself the happiest girl in the world :whoo: and would probably even cry (well not for long :) ) i hope that is not too sweet for anyone :P

great sketching and rendering techniques, wonderful colors, shapes and overall athmosphere, it is like having celebration in the kitchen every day :whoo:

Guest aquastealth

I have to agree this design is so clean and so beautiful. And seeing all your sketches I also know how hard you have worked before final renderings were completed. The thing that strikes me the most and really shows your talent is the fact that youve done a whole line of products all conforming to the same base design.

Keep up the good work!

Guest Arvin

Very nice looking!

I would love to see it in context. Do you have any pictures of people "using" it?

Guest Khalid
Very nice looking!

I would love to see it in context. Do you have any pictures of people "using" it?

Thanks much, as i said before, i really appreciate all these kind words :)

Im planning to make simple animations and pictures with outlines of people using it.

Lilith : your post really perks me up, thank you much

Guest juliettekikiyo

really nice,

the color line decoration remind me of some kind of huge machine

Guest cloverSQUID

I like how you have made kitchen appliances look inviting in a way that is not "trendy, contemporary" but rather fresh and appealing to the new adults of this time period. I think that you have branched off into a new realm of design as far as kitchenware goes and I love it. Are all of your products in a final state of functionality or are they just prototypes? What are you doing now that you are done with your bachelors?