Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aoss

Drawing Faces/heads

Guest Aoss

Why am I asking about drawing faces and heads in a product design forum? Well, perhaps I am designing a product that has a face or a head! Ok, not really... but I'm stuck and I don't know what to do.

I can draw a pretty good face, but my dilemma is in drawing a face in multiple angles and having it look like the same person. I just can't get the geometries the same from sketch to sketch so what was intended to be the same face looks like someone else. My solution is undoubtedly to get a better grasp of the core constructions of the head and face so I can build around some solid construction lines, but I don't know of any good resources. Anyone know of any good sites or books I could check out?

Theres a lot of stuff floating around on google, and I'm sure if you go to your library you'll find tons of books on how to draw humans.

I don't know of any particular ones offhand, but the head has some pretty basic proportions so once you understand them from one direction it's easy to carry over into perspective.

One thing to note also: Keep in mind when doing sketches it's often better to have your figures be fairly androgynous, and without a ton of detail. It's not bad to be able to draw a great sketch of a person (which can be useful for storyboards and scenarios) but if the sketch is focusing on your product, you don't want your person to overshadow your design.

Guest Aoss

Already took the Google route; many sites and most books tend to illustrate techniques (such as using grids) rather than showing core construction geometries. It's like memorizing times tables instead of understanding the math behind them.

Although head proportions may seem basic, subtle differences in curvature define a man instead of a woman and are quite difficult to visualize and consistently express in different viewpoints.

Guest poindexter

Hey

The best bet is to find all sorts of different views of peoples heads and faces and sketch them. You will most likely figure out a few of the proportions, atleast enough to make them read.

Also, try using the images as underlays. Something I find helpful is to use the light and heavy line sketch technique (light lines for surrounded edges, heavy lines for floating edges) but only sketch where the heavy lines shouldbe. Like cyberdemon said, this help to keep them anonymous but still define a sex (if need be).

I attatched a couple images, just to help explain the technique.

post-8768-1186664786.jpg

Guest kaiza

not sure if this is good advice or not - if you're looking for something to copy/emulate why not try looking at comics? (of course i mean spiderman/superman rather than the sunday funnies)

perhaps i should take my own advice - i suck at drawing people! at least i've got plenty of research material :P

Guest cooperkid

Comic sketching... i have this book which is pretty useful...

Gives guidiance on many levels... sketching hands, feet, faces and bodies. Also showing how to crate dynamic poses and striking angles of prespectives. check it out!

"How to Draw Comics the Marvel way"

Guest peartree

why not try photographing your own face... then you can get an idea of how the angle would be.

you'll need to apply the characteristics of your subject, but atleast you'll have a foundation of how the possitioning will be.

so dust off that digital cam and start posing!

Guest JaRu1026

The best way i have learned how to draw peoples faces is from live models, Try getting a friend to pose for you in multiple angles or you could use yourself just grab a mirror and start practicing.. :D

I dont know if this will help but theres definates in drawing life like faces.

1st- The eyes are in the middle of the face this is a constant

2nd- The bottom of the nose is the mid way point between the tear ducts in the eyes and the bottom of the chin

3rd- The lips start one third the way down from the bottom of the nose to the bottom of the chin

4rd- Ears start at the the top of the eyes and end at the bottom of the nose

Those rules might help you with sustaining geometries from different angle drawings.... there are some other rules also but i just cant remeber them off the top of my head right now....

Not sure if this was what you were lookin for but... hopefully it helps a little :P

Guest firecracker
cooperkid- The Marvel way- that brings back high school memories. I still draw figures using their methods :D

Ha ha,

better be careful not make it look like it "the incredible HULK" using a kettle in your design board !

I had a look at that book once, looks nice I might get it.

In terms of drawing people,

I would recommend goin to ANY library. - Especially if you are at a design/art school

There should be tons of books about anatomy and human form drawing.

Comic book style simplifies it, which is the way I draw naturally thanks to watching too many cartoon as a kid.

But its good to have some proper technique,

try looking in some womens magazines for make-up / hair colour adverts, they have great large size faces which you can practice drawing.

But nothing can beat drawing from life,

I have little patience and find it realy difficult. but if I try hard the results are almost always surprising very good.

Guest firecracker

Ive just got a whole collection of really good "traditional"drawing technique books scanned as pdf's

- on things like drawing head & hands, human form etc.

Let me know if you need some and ill see f I can email it to you.