Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Billy Mac

Follo Washbasin Design

Guest sketch

Great design. good work!

My only worry is getting splash back onto the walls and under the tap - and ruining the wallpaper/paint job. What would be a good follow up would be to design matching wall tiles to be placed under the tap :P

Guest toodef1

Funny - that was how I was just about to suggest you do the drainage - except i wouldnt have done all three - rather have kept it to the centre line only and made it much longer. Excellent idea.

Guest Billy Mac
Funny - that was how I was just about to suggest you do the drainage - except i wouldnt have done all three - rather have kept it to the centre line only and made it much longer. Excellent idea.

Thanks for the compliment mate..

Sorry, I'm being a bit thick- could you explain again about the drainage?

Guest Billy Mac
Great design. good work!

My only worry is getting splash back onto the walls and under the tap - and ruining the wallpaper/paint job. What would be a good follow up would be to design matching wall tiles to be placed under the tap :P

Thanks sketch

The generous depth of 550mm should avoid most splash back but I take your point on board. I think its up to the interior designer/architects what they spec behind the units but its an interesting idea to produce a 'tile/panel' around the tap and controls, running the length of the basin.

My one worry with the grooves was that there would be 'angle splash' from the water jet hitting the grooves. I used a vola tap with the original proto and it worked ok. The tap fires straight down- I still need to find out what happens with a tap firing at an angle of say, 10-20 degrees. I may be able to secure an agreement with Grohe to spec their F1 Porsche faucet to compliment Follo( I would like them to produce a special in white and black). The pressure can be reduced and the airator in the nozzle should be enough to avoid this potential problem. The length of the tap suits the 550mm depth well.

Guest Billy Mac

Its a verbal agreement at the moment... The tap is the perfect length for the unit and I think that design would look great in white or black. Otherwise it will be the standard finish with adjusted water pressure.

Guest bob6yt6

looks good but it looks like water will spill out of it easily creating a big mess.

Guest Billy Mac
looks good but it looks like water will spill out of it easily creating a big mess.

The trend towards shallow units show that this doesnt happen in reality. My unit has generous proportions- 1000 x 550 mm and the bowl elipse is 980mm x 430mm so this will not be an issue. And it will have a dedicated tap with tailored water output. Plus the drainage slots also act as overflow slots

http://www.dezeen.com/2007/04/26/norbert-wangen-for-boffi/

check out some of Ross Lovegroves basins- very shallow, also this Boffi basin in the link above

Guest Exzes

Just curious about the way the water will be removed. With a standard sink, whereby their is only one plug hole, there is a single lead off pipe to take the water away. How would that work on this, where the surface area of the holes seems quite wide? If it was a free standing faucet like in most bars and restaurants, it might lead to an unsightly undercarriage, which could spoil a great sink.

I like the design a lot, and love the idea of a sink that is fully formed in to the sideboard as opposed to cut in to the side.

Guest Lilith

hey this looks really nice :D has it been manufactured already and which material it is going to be/is made of? (sorry if you already mentioned that) thanks

Guest Billy Mac

The CAD program is with a manufacturer at the moment- no price yet...as long as the man. price is ok then it will be finalised before xmas and i guess the moulds will be produced first thing in the new yr. Its made from a molded solid surface material, similar to Corian. The trap fits underneath with a gasket, flush inside the unit and easy to remove/fit. If wall hung, a dedicated back cover hides the u bend, so no unsightly pipes.

Guest Billy Mac

post-4703-1209296832.jpg

post-4703-1209293745.jpg

photos courtesy of Toby Summerskill

Finally, after much financial strife, this is the final RP at the factory in Italy. The mould will be finished this week and will produce 6 versions from 1 metre to the 1.8 seen here. Hopefully its going to show at ICFF next month. I want to show two 1 m units in series and one 1.5 metre with the bowl on the left side. The depth is now 50cm and the groove count is 5 not 7. The grooves are now easy to clean at 15mm wide and with a V section tho the grooves in the bowl area could be shallower(being picky). The fall in the grooves is only around the basin(1.2m), not over the full length.

Guest toodef1

Awesome stuff - congrats for getting the design this far. I love the simplicity of the form, and I'm sure you'll do well with it. Very, very sexy photos too.