Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Billy Mac

Follo Washbasin Design

Guest Billy Mac

I am halfway through this project- I should have the finished design ready in 3 months or so, hence why I would like your expert opinions!!

Its a modular washbasin with a self draining surface. I would like to make it in Cristalplant(similar to Corian/Himacs but moulded/no joints). It comes in several sizes. I thought of an interesting faucet design to match the basin and I plan to make a prototype soon.

I designed and made the prototype in a matter of weeks and ok, I made a mistake with the grooves!! They will not be so deep and narrow on the finished design(easier to clean)

Please take a look at images on my site Visit My Website

I don't mind criticism..

thanks

Guest superbad

Looks cool. I would say put huge radii in all those grooves, even if they are going to be shallower. Any sharp inside corner is going to accumulate disgusting amounts of crap, especially in a high traffic location. It's extremely difficult to clean long inside corners, and more so when it's being done by someone who doesn't care that much. Also, the drain area looks a little small. I don't know anything about commercial plumbing code, but do you need an overflow drain?

Guest Billy Mac

Cheers Superbad,

You are right about the drainage- the groove will increase in width and another 20mm in length(same area as standard basin drainage)

Your point about gunk-point taken- i am in talks with a manufacturer in Italy- they want me to reprofile grooves- I want to keep the sharp aesthetic without compromising function- tricky!

The other design headache was with the trap under the drainage slots- I went to a design developer based in London called Andrew Lang who came up with a water tight solution which is accessable for cleaning.

Guest KEVMORTENSEN

it's great, I would spec that in one of my buildings.

Have you built any prototypes yet?

Guest xonegon

just a question, but how many water can it hold in 1 basin? (raw guess?)

Guest cooperkid

nice design .... only thoughts are the overflow outlet?

There needs to be a hole big enough to drain quicker than the tap can flow (i.e. never flood the bathroom!)

U grooves would be a better solution for easier cleaning and i would fade them off to the edges of the work surfaces, you want water to drain back to the sink part...

overall nice design

Guest Billy Mac

KevMortensen Thanks for the compliment! Just have the two modular protos I showed in Milan..I plan to launch this year(maybe Miami)- hopefully will have the first batch ready in 2-3 months. The basin profile on the proto wasnt correct- from some angles it looked awkward, the way some of the grooves sit in the basin--so I have softened and lengthened the profile-it looks better. The under- cover is different too. I had to bite the bullet and go for a separate mould for each size. Still slightly nervous about seeing the finished piece tho!

Regarding how much water it can hold..the answer is zero I'm afraid. Its free-flow only, aimed mainly at commercial applications such as Hotels or clubs.

Cheers Cooper kid, the slots are too small- they need to be larger(each groove has its own drainage) and profile of grooves will be practical! Smallworry is limescale/hard water stains, but I imagine that as it has a commercial application, it will clean regulary.

Guest xonegon

never even tought of that :blush:

but it looks awsome, the only problem I would have would be forgetting to wash my hands and studying the basin :)

Guest Billy Mac

I didnt mention that I think I found a good solid surface producer in Italy(very passionate about design and prices are better than UK)- I found it hard to locate a fabricator in the uk and they are expensive compared to Europe- There are a few really good uk companies-the best for protos is Cutting Edge(but they need 8 weeks lead at least), for production SS Wharf or Counter productions seemed good. The worst was a cowboy outfit (recommended by Corian!) in east london who will remain nameless

Guest Foamcutter

Interesting design.

Does the design included the tap? How does the water jet impinge on the basin? Many European countries work on high pressure systems with higher flow rates than the UK, customers will not want to be sprayed with water.

Are you going to offer a version with a tap hole in the unit, the wall mounted outlet wont suit many of the modular pods used in hotel bathroom construction.

I agree with superbad

Any sharp inside corner is going to accumulate disgusting amounts of crap, especially in a high traffic location. It's extremely difficult to clean long inside corners, and more so when it's being done by someone who doesn't care that much.
The grooves are a unique selling point don't let them become a negative feature.

Good luck

Guest Billy Mac

The grooves are reprofiled and practical now(shallower/curved lower edges)- I should have some CAD renderings v soon to post. I too am a little concerned about the way the water hits the groove(s)- there are ways to limit splash(if it is a problem) but these require more compromise to the design.. modern taps have an 'airator' in the nozzle which stops splash so it should be ok. The tap shown is a vola unit but I am designing a tap to go with the basin. As some basins also have a central waste with sharp edges, I'm thinking it should be ok. Some very shallow (italian)washbasins specify tap pressure and i may do the same.. Thanks for the comments

Guest kingred

you could incorporate the overflow into other basinsm would be unique.

also i would use standard plumbing fittings to reduce costings.

Guest Billy Mac

Finally here are some renderings of the finished design- I am now awaiting quotes from manufacturers.

These images only show the main unit, not the trap system which is removable.

The grooves are now filleted and shallower/wider for ease of cleaning(max 5mm).

The size is 1000mm x 550x x 61.75. The thickness of the unit is 11mm

post-4703-1196209210.jpg

post-4703-1196209236.jpg