#1 liori

liori

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

Hey Everyone
I've always wondered why they count ScubaDiving as an extreme sport.
Allthough the danger of being underwater, it always seems to me as a very relaxed and Layed-back sport.

My intention is too design diving equipment that would fit future technology, and hopefully eliminate all questions about ScubaDiving beeing an extreme sport.

Here's a warm up sketch for the begining.

More to come later on.

Would love to hear what you think

Lior

Attached Files

#2 Guest_mylesmontgomerydesign_*

Guest_mylesmontgomerydesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:02 AM

Hi there

It is an interesting question!
When you say you want to eliminate all questions about scuba diving being and extreme sport. do you mean clarify it as an extreme sport or exclude it. I take it that you want to clarify it as one otherwise you wouldn't be doing this comp. on it.

I undertook my major project of my ID degree on a scuba diving communications system and did a lot of forecasting and future thinking about the sport and technology. So hopefully i will be of some help.
check out my site its all there.

In terms of it as an extreme sport. I see it as a sport a bit like climbing. In some ways climbing is an extension of tramping but in depend on the location that you are doing it. Its the same as scuba diving. there are so many different context. You could be in a calm 100m visibility on the reef at rarotonga safe as &*^ or you could be braille diving for paua on the south coast of wellington, New Zealand, with a 3m swell, strong tide and under current with 2m visibility! Dangerous as &*$#! I came across guys within my research report that had been picked up by our inter-island ferry because they drifted without knowing kilometres from their dive vessel.
So it all depends on context!
It should be an extreme sport if you are properly trained!

Regards and best of luck
Myles

#3 liori

liori

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

Hi again
Myles - thank you for your view on scuba diving. I'll look into your site as it seems I can get alot from it.
As you wrote, I intend to make it obvious that scubadiving is indeed an extreme sport.
Looking into the future, technology will allow us to make everything smaller and better. In the attached sketch I wanted to take everything you need for breathing and put it inside a mask. This will allow alot more freedom for movement. It's only a rough sketch to show the idea - I don't think it should look like this - more to come later. Alongside with that, I'll try to design new ways of moving in the water using small jet engines - This will make diving alot faster and more interesting (in my opinion).

See you next time.
Lior

Attached Files

#4 bowlofnoodle

bowlofnoodle

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

Good idea buddy, I am interested in seeing the final concepts! good luck

#5 Guest_mylesmontgomerydesign_*

• Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:45 AM

hey

check out http://www.isracast....icle.aspx?ID=63

this guy is basically developing the next revolution in scuba diving. Tankless diving by extraction the oxygen out of H20.

good luck

#6 Guest_mylesmontgomerydesign_*

• Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:48 AM

and sorry in my first post I meant it shouldn't be an extreme sport if properly trained

#7 liori

liori

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

Late night sketch -
Just trying some head-masks. The mask will carry all the Hi-Tech inside, allowing breathing underwater with no tanks.
Thanks again Myles for a very interesting site.

See you again soon.

Liori

Attached Files

#8 liori

liori

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

Another way of thinking...
Instead of putting everything on the mask, I'm checking the possibility of taking a small device to be used for breathing (a small engine and an oxigen maker).
Would love to hear what you think...

'till next time

Attached Files

#9 liori

liori

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hi again,
As said before, I'm not only interested in the diving mask, but the whole diving experience.
Here's a first sketch of a small Jet Engine, that would help manouvering better in the water.
The mask isn't finished yet, and this is of course also just the begining of the manouvering system.

More to come in the next few days.

All the Best
Liori

Attached Files

#10 Turbofrog

Turbofrog

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:01 AM

Having propulsion on your wrists would put a lot of stress on your arms and shoulders, wouldn't move your body very well, and could impede your dexterity, no? The idea of using the flexibility of your hands as a way to intuitively steer is good, but I would probably try and figure out a way to create an interface that incorporated that to control vectored jets on a body pack.

#11 liori

liori

Level 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:20 PM

Final sketch
It's been a much busyer month than I though, but here goes...
A closed and very small Air-Supply mask, along with 4 small jet engines to allow free movement inside the water.

Good luck to everyone.
See you on the forum and on the next competiotion.
Lior

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: