San Jose State Industrial Design

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FarisElmasu_*

Guest_FarisElmasu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

Hey guys, I am currently a second year student in San Jose State's Industrial Design Program. I just wanted to expose a few things about the program to this awesome forum.

What we do...

Design Research and Process

This involves a deeper search, discovery, understanding, and investigation into not just the product, but the user, the artifacts, and the environment. This requires the utilization of tools such as brainstorming (lateral analysis), ergonomic studies, storyboarding the user’s experience (“Day in the life”), user research (interviews), trend analysis (matrixes), and visual anthropology (carefully analyzing the environment). What is important is How people are shaped by their environments and How they are defined by their artifacts.

2D/3D Sketching

2D sketching includes concept developments, visualization evelopment, putting concepts into context, storyboarding, and brainstorming. 3D sketching includes mockups in foam, foam core, existing products, clay, or anything possible. Both help give us a better understanding about the design and are important elements to the design process.

CAD

The tools that we use are Rhino, Solid Works, and Unigraphics. The 3D tools help in visualizing the materials and allow us to put the model into context. We have a Z-printer (rapid prototyping machine) to “print” out scale models done on CAD.

Going into my second year into the program i can safely say that i am extremely looking forward to the next three years. I could easily say after the first year my creativity, eye for detail, and sketching abilities have all increased. All the instructors are working professionals and offer genuine feedback and one on one advice.

What do you guys think or heard of the program? Discuss...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_FarisElmasu_*

Guest_FarisElmasu_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:31 AM

Hey SJSU students here?

#3 Guest_Kent_*

Guest_Kent_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:51 PM

I've been looking at SJSU for a little while now. Would love to talk to you directly about the program and the general direction it's curriculum is geared towards. I'm in San Jose myself.

-Kent

#4 Guest_FarisElmasu_*

Guest_FarisElmasu_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:02 AM

I've been looking at SJSU for a little while now. Would love to talk to you directly about the program and the general direction it's curriculum is geared towards. I'm in San Jose myself.

-Kent

Ya any time, i am always in the design building. You can stop by most of the day an i will be available. Ill shoot you an personal message with more info.

#5 Guest_Kent_*

Guest_Kent_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:23 AM

Faris-

Thanks for the reply. I got your message. I've PM'd some further questions

-Kent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: