Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Noself

Parachute Wing Aerobatics

Guest Noself

Hi everybody! I got email about this design challenge, so it desided to take a look. The brief was interesting and fun, so I thought what the heck, lets give a try. I´m a first year student of industrial design, but I have no experience of Rhino beforehand, so I hope to learn from this challenge a lot.

Okay, lets get started. I began to research this extreme sports thing (I dont have much experience myself...) and I listed all sports that I found. Then I took the ones that I was interested and they were :

1. Aerobatics (I love flightsims...)

2. Parachuting (Would like to try sometime...)

3. Base-jumping (Its just nuts...)

And then, I thought, how to combine all of these in to one...And the result was sometype of suit that has wings and I found out that my idea wasnt so original. This has been mans dream for ages. And theres madone01 who is thinking same kind of thing. But my idea would be to do sometype of little wing that can be put on to parachuter and then he can do aerobatics and stuff, like Redbull Air Race. Or base jumper could just jump of a building and fly away. And maybe there could be somekind of propulsion system in the wing, so it could gain altitude. So my question is can I use this idea or is it too much same as madone01 has?

Guest madone01

nice idea and reference and thank you very much for the video links they really help. good luck with your idea would be nice to see this as a sport in less than 20 years just to see what people would come up with to complete certain task . GOOD LUCK AGAIN

Guest Noself

Been doodling some ideas. I think Im going to incorporate engine in my flying apparatus. I thought that becouse this is going to be future thing so the engine could be something other than ordinary jet-engine. Jets are loud, noisy, dirty and not so eco-friendly. So I looked into model R/C planes and they have pretty neat little electic ducted fan engines, like this >

Heres that same engine in action>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIggrPJ0bj4

Heres some specs>

http://www.schuebeler-jets.de/

Problem with these engines is lack of thrust for bigger scale objects, but I trust that the advancement of this kind of technology will allow future airplanes for example to use these kinds of electric engines.

In fact NASA is doing some research about electrical engines. Their concept is called Magnetically Levitated Ducted Fan. So maybe this kind of engine would be great for this personal flying wing...>

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/2003/7000/7720emerson.html

Heres what I got sofar...

post-11637-1184700227.jpg post-11637-1184700240.jpg

Guest triax

Without looking at the links above someone done this with 2/4 tiny jet engines attached to foldable wings. To get a start they parachuted from a plane.

Regards,

T.

Guest cooperkid

those sketches remind me of a cartoon i used to watch as a kid... going back some years... something a bit like power rangers... but the family had helmets with beaks... thinking falcon something or another????? does any one remember? i found this picture... (voltes v Japanese version)

post-5030-1184881442.jpg

the sketches remind me of the sequence when they change or something... like i say many years ago.. in the early eighties..