Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Tips for creating a portfolio

Guest nate

any info on good companies for a personal website would be helpful

theres so many website companies out there - so many deals.

i was wondering what people used whats a good price etc.

Guest lufrbasketch

Recently I have started sending off my work to companies to get a placement for my 3rd year at uni.

But I was speaking to a finalist at my uni and he said it is really worth setting up a website .

I have a bit of free time now before my second semester starts and I reckon I should get a website up.

Big problem is that i really have no idea on where to start. I really dont how I should approach my website build. I see so many nice and presented website.

I used to be able to use dreamweaver pretty decently but nothing special.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions that could steer me in the right direction?

Guest chappo81

just use the a similar layout as your portfolio to start of with.

that way you get your page up quickly and you can then improve it as you go.

also keep an eye out for details you like on other sites and incorporate them into yours

Guest hamid

Hi every body...

I'm about to prepare my poryfolio these days, I have to apply for a company to do my internship for next semster.

I'm still in doubt about the size of my portfolio, the only thing I'm sure about is that I wanna desgin it in a Landscape layout, I'm thinking about two different dimemensions:

or [16x23 cm] or [17x27.5 cm], (both dimensions creat a rectangle with golden proportion, and can put each of them easily in an A4 envelope for posting it),,,

So! I'd like to have your ideas ,,, please help me with your useful tips...

If you're sending this to them while applying for a job, I would keep in mind you don't want to send your full portfolio unless they specifically request it. Usually you want to send a teaser sheet that goes along with your resume. Something that shows a brief sample of your very best work, to get them interested. You can probably do that on a regular A4 sized sheet of paper.

I don't think the slight difference in size of paper will matter, it's whats on it that will count. As long as it fits in their envelope and it's small enough for them to pass around the office and photocopy it's usually good.

You'll also want to include a link to an online portfolio, which again expands on your work without showing everything. Your main portfolio should be what you bring with you to a job interview to sit down in front of them and talk about.

Guest menappi

What do you guys think about sending your portfolio to employers on a usb flash drive. I had this whole package idea with resume, cover letter, etc but instead of sending a giant printed out thing there is a flash drive with maybe your logo on it. It's expensive getting 11x17 printed and bound, and you can get flashdrives of a decent size for cheap nowadays. What's your thoughts?

I don't see a flash drive being any more useful than sending a CD or DVD really. Everyone has different preferences, so there really is no right answer.

Typically I wouldn't send an employer a full portfolio unless they specifically ask for it. And if they did ask for it, they'll probably tell you how to send it (paper/digital, etc). Sending your cover letter, resume, and a shortfolio/teaser sheet can still be done easily on A4 and stuffed into an envelope. I've heard a bunch of professionals talk about what they want when they're looking for employees, and usually they'll be VERY specific in what format they want.

Guest ri_cc
guys , what do you think about putting also your picture in the portfolio ? (not printed ones of course )

does it hurt do you think ? ? :)

I'll answer yours if you'll answer mine ;)

Anyways, about a photo of myself in my portfolio/resume, I'm not sure about this. I'd rather let my work do the talking. If they're interested, they'll get to see me during the interview ;)

Guest mike2

Hey.

I'm looking at putting a portfolio together as I'm a recent grad, now I am planning on redoing some of the work as I'm not happy with it, however what should I be including, I have project display boards.... but most my sketches are in A4 sketchbooks....

So how do I put all this together into a portfolio, should it be A4 or A3, what is preferred?

Do I bind it all together? use plastic wallets? How punch? Loose sheets?

Thanks,

mike2, scan some interesting or the best sketches from your sketchbook and put them together in the portfolio. A4 portfolio is ok, but A3 is better if you are interviewing with more than 1 person at the same time.

Plastic wallets is convenient, cause you can easily update your portfolio without spending too much time and costs.

Guest mike2

Thanks for your help.

Another question though. Can I put in presentation boards that were done for University projects? Or should I just cut them down and put all the best bits onto one page?