Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Tips for creating a portfolio

I think I will start with this link here.

http://www.coroflot.com/public/portfolio_tips.asp

Please post your comments about this here and feel free to give additional tips here that we can all use.

Individual portfolio feedback can be done in his or hers portfolio thread. Of course, if the problem in that portfolio seems to be something we all struggle with, feel free to discuss it here. We're all here to help eachother out and learn from eachother.

I thought perhaps it's a good idea to bring some discussion in this topic. Having read the link above a few times I now think it's perhaps interesting to talk about for example:

- If you have your portfolio, what do you do with it? do you make many copies and send those out to companies/agencys with your resume? or do you try to make an appointment and take the portfolio with you?

- What size do you use for your portfolio? Do you make book sized portfolio's that you can easily browse through and store? Or do you make A3 sized folio's with full page prints? Perhaps you make small books to send out and keep 1 full size portfolio for interviews?

- How many pages should a portfolio consist of for comfortable browsing? Should you stay within say 40 pages or do you prefer the 'more is more' approach?

etc.

These are just some suggestions to talk about, I think when talking about portfolio here it's important not to mistake a portfolio for a portfolio sampler like you see on Coroflot (where you are limited in your amount of images/image size).

For my previous internship hunting, I had sent out emails with 4 images showing sketches, renderings, prototypes and very short descriptions of my 'best' works. I mentioned that I would take my complete portfolio if they were interested in inviting me for an interview. Use the email as a teaser.

My complete portfolio is a A3 sized case with 20 sheets (40 pages) filled with printed presentations of different design projects, illustrations and original paper sketchwork.

I think that including samples with the emails may get their attention more than without showing some work.

For the original paper portfolio, I would try to fill the case with as much good work as I have done. I think I shouldn't worrying about taking too much work to an interview. At the interviews I was the one who browsed through the portfolio, explaining the work with a pleasant tempo. Take more time with showing more important work and speed up with showing sketches and less relevant work.

At the moment I have a personal website showing some samples of my work. For the next interview, I would mention my website in an email or phoneconversation instead of attaching images to the email.

So, this is my way of dealing with my portfolio. Who's next? ^_^

Guest Jno

I have always been so lucky that i have been asked to come to work for different companies without any portfolios at all. You know it is all about who do you know more than what you can do. I really can tell this because I am not better than anybody else... magic words: networking!!

Anyway... Couple of times I have been sitting in the opposite chair looking at your portfolios and I really must say that one thing that you should remind that quality is much more important than quantity...

If you were a person looking through huge amount of portfolios for a particular job, how much you would be interested to look for some canvas/oil paintings (excluding situations where those talents are needed). The most interested portfolios are showing cases, concepts etc. which are related to the job you are applying. Because in that way we can see directly how your qualities are meeting our requirements. It is not the best thing to present furniture design works when applying for example a mobile phone designer job... or even worse to show some

pictures of your toilet renovation project (seen couple of those too...) ^_^

Cheers,

JNo

I see plenty of great tips so far, great!

Another quick question (am I the only one with questions?.. I doubt that):

- Do you keep all your pages in landscape or portrait layout? Or do you mix those depending on the project?

Guest DreaM

guys , what do you think about putting also your picture in the portfolio ? (not printed ones of course )

does it hurt do you think ? ? :lol:

guys , what do you think about putting also your picture in the portfolio ? (not printed ones of course )

does it hurt do you think ? ? :lol:

I'll answer yours if you'll answer mine :)

Anyways, about a photo of myself in my portfolio/resume, I'm not sure about this. I'd rather let my work do the talking. If they're interested, they'll get to see me during the interview :)

Guest DreaM
I see plenty of great tips so far, great!

Another quick question (am I the only one with questions?.. I doubt that):

- Do you keep all your pages in landscape or portrait layout? Or do you mix those depending on the project?

well , about the layout ?

hmm. I think you are talking about the printed portfolios. I am doing a web site-interactive cd at the moment.

well .... i am having the same problem at the moment about that though :) . I have realized that have a project in portrait layout . So i am thinking , and came up with a solution to make the same style layout page for the first pages. Then you get into the project and see it in whatever layout.

but about the printed ones ? i would prefer to keep it in the same layout.

hmm.. about the picture >? well i am not really sure, gotta think about it .

of course not pictures like a magazine cover :) maybe some fotos of me working , but in blur ? ? i dunno , it could be a positive thing you know ... :lol:

Guest celticsun

:blink: Oh sacred ninja what do you think?????ooooooooooooI Think they are both right!

First I was tolf placing a photo of oneself was a big no no I thought I looked fine but the other peeps on the recieving side said dont do it remove the picture!

I created a Small traveling portfolio it had portrait and landscape images. the size was 6"x 8" set up on a landscape basic design. It looked really nice but one minor problem. everyone I sent it too kept my work or said "Sorry we missplaced it" this was supposed to be sent out all over the US & Canada. Needless to say I was a bit miffed with these companies who said Oh yes we will send it back to you. I made 3 I recieved 1 back.

I also was told to create for the future of each company for whom I would be applying for.... not a bad idea but I dont get a lot of responces when I send out my teasers. I might as well call my mom for some of these jobs hahahahahaha :D No I am not seriuos!

I wish I new the right solution because I would be hired by now and being happy with what I would be doing..... well I hope that would be right! DOH!

celticsun :D

Guest papicas

About the photo in your resume or portfolio, a teacher once told me that if you don't have the guts to put your face in what you do, it means you're not proud of it. It's like saying "It's mine, I really did this!". And I kind of agree with him. Just don't use one of those lousy passport photos. Make one that shows your spirit, your style.

As for the layout, in the printed version, I use the same orientation so people don't have to fiddle around when looking at it. Sometimes it's like making a puzzle because the project asks for a different layout, but you will have to stick to this also in clients presentations, so you better start training!

post-11-1111064509.jpg

Guest celticsun

:lol::P:huh:

It has nothing to do with gutsit is the work people want to see not the face behind it. I thought it was a good idea at the time of adding my picture but the respoce was not very good and it was down played so much that it was removed from my Portfolio. If your teacher says you dont have the guts to do something yes it is a challenge but what if they were just mocking you? I had 1 to many teachers who decided to play a very bad role reversal on students they didnt like.... and sure enough these designers eith quit school or started listening to the teachers and doing things even creating things which would have you raise both eyebrows in shock therapy.

I personal view is dont do it just because some one says "You Dont have the GUTS to do it". it is just an empty challenge by a teacher.

B) celticsun

Yeah I kind of agree there with you celticsun.. I mean, if people want to know what I look like, heck they can ask me for an interview :lol: My picture is also on my site somewhere but I agree, I want my work to do the talking, what I look like has nothing to do with that.

Guest DreaM

well guys , i don't know what to say about this subject actuallly because i think there is no wrong or right.

Ok ,we have a fact that with celticsun had negative opinions from the people about it. But ,on the other hand i am applying for an internship now and they mailed me and told me to send my portfolio and my picture ? :huh:

i don't know but people have their pictures on their CVs most of the times, i mean the people who are not designers also. I guess this is a standart thing for CV at least .

About the designer , tell me please... How many designer web sites do you know without a foto of the designer ? I mean the real ones, the professional firms also. I believe that it is something positive, and also it is normal to show yourself when you show what you have created in your portfolio. It would be awkward to hide yourself instead :lol: People want to see who they are talking about, people want to have a concrete image of that person in their minds. I don't think that any firm is so stupid not to hire the person because of his/her look if he/she is good enough. If they do so you are lucky not to get it .

Besides i personally feel better when i see you guys' fotos .It's not something superficial ,it is something human.

It is you ...

anyway thanx everyone for your opinions. That why we have this forum for :P

click here

Guest soneca

Hello to all!

1 - the orientation of the layout: I think it´s better not to use portrait and landscape in the same portfolio, pick one and try to make everything fit in that layout... I guess that´s one of the designer's skills: to make things fit :D

2 - about the photo: I think that is good to have your picture in your site or in a printed portfolio that you send to places... like someone said, it's more human...

But in your "complete portfolio" (that you take with you) i don´t think it´s necessary unless it shows a skill that you have... like ilustration, photography or something like that...

3 - one question: how much text do you have to put to explain the projects? I don´t like to put much text because i think nobody will read it. in the other hand, you have to give some directions, because sometimes the image is not enough

Guest abhinav

I like orienting my layout in landscape. the reason is u can shift a standard landscape to a computer interface without much of change in layout. on the other hand a portrait layout is far difficult to shift to screen.

Adding a photo adds to the personal touch of folio. As far as i am not carrying folio with me, the picture represents me. after all, 'an image is worth of thousand words' :-)

Now the text part.. I feel if u put too much of text, nobody gives it attention. So the trick is to place as less text as u can.. and if possible, fragment the text over the layout to look it less bulky..