Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest toodef1

Isnt It Odd . . .

I once suggested if there could be a forum specialized on legal aspects and had none answer.

Cyberdemon actually replied your request in:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=5868

Sorry if you were waiting for the admins' answers. But I thought Cyberdemon's answers was clear enough to say that your suggested forum is not necessary, so I didn't reply immediately.

And in my opinion. such questions are rare. And if members do have those questions, I guess they will post it in the general design discussions forum.

Guest jose3

I am glad you answered waikit in fact I was waiting for an admin answer.

What I was not expecting is you to tell me that Cyberdemon's answer was enough answer and that my suggestions are not necessary. It is very weird indeed but now that I understand you I can respect your thoughts else it is not very clear if contributions are welcome or not.

This is your space and your creation therefore you decide its policy I will always understand that and respect it. Try to be more clear next time about suggestions and contributions so I don't waste my time trying to help on something that does not need any help.

Guest madmatt

IMHO more images problably helps...I quote others for change the layout...

I like this forum, I hope something change...

Bye

Guest Miro

I am sorry guys, i had even forgotten that i was signed up at this forum. It was probably one of those days when i was just browsing and then forgot about it. I would be glad to help out. Got to make sure i put this to my favorites :)

Guest Thom
May I be honest?

I once suggested if there could be a forum specialized on legal aspects and had none answer. Then after diving into material on my own, reading books and following articles I was ready to start my own PPA at USPTO. I was very exited by then. By that time I also suggested that I could do a sort of road map for those who are in the path of filing and for a second time I had no answer neither.

Now I am finishing my PPA. I am exausted and I really have no time to do any documentation rather than my own so my time for helping others is limited unless I had documented my experience which was not the case.

Sometimes any help is a good help.

No lawyer is going to post or make suggestions unless you pay him so you have to manage with what you have because maybe that silly road map with mistakes and all could be the base for some other skilled on the subject to make it something much better that could even be very attractive and helpful to people who are not just involved into the pure art of designing and sketching.

I'm not a designer, but I really enjoy looking at peoples work. I'm currently working in marketing and have an interest in the development and commercialization of new products. If a new thread was started I would be more than willing to give all you guys help and ideas on how to commercialize your designs.

Guest Thom

Oh, one more thing. The new layout where only one reply is shown is pretty annoying, it makes it too hard to follow a thread.

Guest KaW

Problem

No. 1: I am not a Product Designer

No. 2: I am not good at english.

No. 3: My intelligence is not rich enough to post more than now.

Sorry, for my problems.

I feel lucky enough for being a part of this coolest forum. I like it and I love it... So, I also expect from the deep of my heart, May it become more active..

My thoughts are

1. You can make some one become a member but you can not make him post. If you want to do that,

Make some new rules: A) Free Membership validity is for six(any duration you prefere) months. To upgrade your membership, subscribe at least seven(any number) significant posts/week....for six months. :) Whatever you think appropriate

2. I havent completed reading this forum but yet found few posts or replies which seems not significant enough.. So, there might be a process to mark a post as well as the replies good or bad..

3. Try to provide more tutorials of more different software. You may sale the best tutorials in video or relevant format from your store. This will help members inspired to create more easier and useful tutorials.

4. Arrange more contests: Sketch, concept, 3d modeling, rendering, animation, artwork, photography etc individually. Winning image will be in the home page or the section home page for one month etc...

X. I have a deep interest in PD. So if you think to provide some tutorials tips trics or lessons on 'how to become a pd' will be a plus for me.

These are just my thoughts..... Sorry if they are not of any help at all....

Guest JoeZ

as a new user on here, Jose3 hit the nail right on the head. THere isn't enough real content and help on here.

Guest Tanja
as a new user on here, Jose3 hit the nail right on the head. THere isn't enough real content and help on here.

I would have to agree. My interest in this forum and the reason I signed up was to learn more about product design: best practices, the "tools of the trade", and to meet and exchange information with product designers who work in a similar field as I do as product designer for toys and novelty items; as well as other fields in order to learn more about other opportunities and the challenges in those other product design areas. Especially since this wasn't my original field of study at university and my background of prior professional experiences was quite different (illustration, web & graphic and UI design, concept art) although useful to my current employment. I, too, am a member of other forums...have been for years...and, even if my participation isn't daily, I do visit several times a week -- and find those places to be active, dynamic communities. No, those other forums have little or nothing to do with product design (or industrial design). Well, very little.

IMO, if the admin or moderators of this forum aren't actively posting daily information that the various users of the Product Design forums would find useful, whether it is

-- product designer interviews

-- or links to articles relevant to forum users

-- or tutorials

-- or daily, weekly or monthly challenges that would interest new product designers and/or mid to senior-level users

-- or participation from vendors who provide tools or services that product designers would be interested in or are currently using at their places of employment

-- or providing a forum for senior product designers to become mentors (surely there are a few of those out there) and new designers to learn and gain new skills

...then why would users want to come back for more? What's the incentive?

It is certainly possible that there are already other places that do have more activity and items of interest to professional product designers, or students even. If so, I haven't explored them yet. Maybe this forum should consider partnering with those other places then...to drive more visitors and users here that don't just want to lurk but to participate.

t

Guest Bob Walsh

Hello folks, I guess I am one of those people (Lurker) you have been talking about that has never posted anything since reviewing your email I have been reading the thread of the discussion thus far and have a few comments to offer.

First I think this is forum has excellent small core minds working to try to help one another.

Next most people are embarrassed when they have to admit they don’t know something that they think everyone else knows (not me I know how little I know). So if you want to encourage more embarrassed lurkers to take part in the forum the core minds must offer as much encouragement as possible when a question is asked even if the one responding does not know the answer, look to the sports teams encouragements from fellow team members “good going with that one”, “I had not thought of that, good question”, “that it great why haven’t we heard from you before or more often” that sort of stuff.

It is sort of like the 1,000 Ata boys and 1 AWSHIT! Wipes them all out people are sensitive (again not me but people).

The case of jose3 is a good example I would have felt the same as he did first time around and I feel the response from waikit was counter productive to encouraging the sort of exchange I feel your email and this thread it trying to encourage.

I agree with Thom about the layout where only one reply is shown is pretty annoying, it makes it too hard to follow a thread.

I may be wrong, but this is the way I see it and I am sure many others lurkers would have similar feeling.

I hope this helps I really do think this forum’s core minds have a lot to offer.

Best wishes,

Bob W.

Guest Bob Walsh

After reading my post I need to make the following change.

First I think this is forum has excellent small core minds working to try to help one another.

Should have read, First I think this is forum has small excellent core of minds working to try to help one another.

Sorry I really do not think any of you have small minds.

Guest Vincent Lee

Ah well, I'm one of those actually. I'm just back from Hong Kong and feeling a little pessimistic about an interview for an internship at a design company! And the only internet access I have may be the 10 minute timed public computer at a shopping mall. I'm heading into third year product design (gosh time flies).

But I agree that I am either not active enough in browsing design/product design pages, or that I don't have much time to spend on the internet. I think I am active in about 2 forums at all, and that excludes my own blog or portfolio page, and I have my sis to thank for even making one in her busy time.

I suppose it is hard for some students like me to keep their priorities straight on Summer holidays!

Guest slowhand

Hello you folks out there!

It was in September '05 when (Thomas) Parel placed a link in the german www.cad.de - SolidWorks forum to his computer mouse tutorial. It was amazing new stuff for me (since I'm an engineer who's working on plates, screws and boxes :))

And in the next few month there where other people sharing their knowlegde (never will forget the Pantera of AxelRod which I used for some test-renderings and animations). Wonderfull - keep that going.

But as you can read -my english is not that fluent- I've difficulties in reading here. Some of you out there could be my children :shocking: neither do I know the language of (english) product designers.

Be sure - the most time I'm only reading.

I promise: I'll spread the word - but only in german ;)

Kind Regards,

Ralf