Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest toodef1

Isnt It Odd . . .

Guest toodef1

We have close to 12000 members at yet theres maybe less than 3% of that who actually post ?

Not odd at all actually. Almost all forums that you'll visit only have a small percentage of contributing members, while the vast majority are just "lurkers" - people who sign up but never (or rarely) post.

Yup, it's common for forums to work this way... It's also that people won't always have time to post..

Guest Hazdaz

I frequent a few other forums (non product design related), and unfortunately this one is QUITE a bit slower than those.

Is there really anything that can be done to drum up more posters?

Maybe people should spread the word about the site - the law of averages: the more members, the higher the chances of people posting stuff... which in turn will generate more replies.

:shrug: I don't know - I like this site, just wish there was more going on.

Guest toodef1

Perhaps it has something to do with the site structure. I mean - theopening page is just a overview of all the threads, and we only get to see the last post in each whole section . . . .

Guest cholden

Think the site layout is had to change as from what I gather it is predetermined and is a simple layout that you can add whatever title or topic you want. It a pain but just try and promote it whever you can. maybe start is word of mounth maybe pin the web address up on a board in uni/work. get more designers interested. put links from your websites to here on your main page. Facebook, myspace, portfolio sites, coroflot, taxi design. as its been said there are thousands of users. but how many have come here and not liked it. are there any other forums that more people post on? chris

Guest R.B
Well, we have got more than 3500 members who have posted (at least 1 post) here. But the regular posters are very few.

I'm just to busy to check to often, so only check every once in a while, but as it's not that busy I don't miss much....what might be a nice way to get people involved would be having an open forum and then most of the stuff in a private forum which you have access to once you've made an introductory post?

Having a coroflot group might help too, where you can advertise the competitions your holding, and as mentioned, facebook and myspace could be good too, though I'm not so keen on them myself. Another good site to have a group page would be www.linkedin.com

I think we need to think about how we could improve the acitivity of this site. It's a pity that there are so many topics with questions that remained unreplied here and so many questions with few replies here.

I'll probably post up a new topic about this in the suggestions forum later...

Guest jose3

May I be honest?

I am sorry buy new ideas cannot grow where there is no ground to grow.

I once suggested if there could be a forum specialized on legal aspects and had none answer. Then after diving into material on my own, reading books and following articles I was ready to start my own PPA at USPTO. I was very exited by then. By that time I also suggested that I could do a sort of road map for those who are in the path of filing and for a second time I had no answer neither.

Now I am finishing my PPA. I am exausted and I really have no time to do any documentation rather than my own so my time for helping others is limited unless I had documented my experience which was not the case.

Sometimes any help is a good help.

No lawyer is going to post or make suggestions unless you pay him so you have to manage with what you have because maybe that silly road map with mistakes and all could be the base for some other skilled on the subject to make it something much better that could even be very attractive and helpful to people who are not just involved into the pure art of designing and sketching.

Guest jose3

It would have been nice to hear some points specially from top posters but I understand nobody wants to talk with someone who "seems" to be desperate for a fight but I am not....I understand and that is my problem. Or haven't you guys noticed that you are standed on top of a great domain and a superb idea?

Just look at your numbers....don't you ever take a look at the statistics?...they speak.

why is it that you have so many members and so few posts?

People like me FE came here very exited and full of enthusiasm about this site because that is what the site generates and will always do but why is it they don't stay or participate? Because it does not have enough of what people are looking for and people are looking for information.

Information.

That is the trick here. This place looks like a huge library to swim into but once you start swimming you realize that there is not that much content as you would expected. This could sound a very bad thing that I am saying but if you are smart enough to realize where you are standing in an early branch of design communication you could maybe take into account what I am saying.

Guest Kiwi_Roly

A question to ask is how people found the forums if its so inactive? Once found, what prompted people to sign up?

For myself, I was googling Photoworks tips in my first year of study when I came across Parel's brillient Rendering tutorial. I joined seeing it was full of people starting out as I was, all asking the same questions and coming up against the same problems. I must admit though, once I started work I didn't keep it up. I have only recently recovered my password and logged back in and started posting.

Is it perhaps a comment on how many ID'ers actually get employed in the field? They join up during study but after 18months of working for nothing or serving Lattes give it away for the "fall back" job?

Just a thought

Guest cholden

Yeah agree with everyone above. I was like a lot of you before the last month only checked every now and again as not much was going on. been trying to post a lot recently.

=Other good thinks for this site would be a Links bar or page, where you can get links etc.

=better profiles with links to portfolio, lots have this already but lots don't like me.

=yeah coroflot group, would be good.

=advertising of activities would be good as well, like comps and tutorials, on other sites.

= maybe even front page to the site with gallery of sketchwork, renders, products.

just some ideas.

Guest JamesUK

the crux of it is lack of posts, and as threads arent updated people dont bother checking back, its a defeating cycle.

If more of us post and are generally more active the forum will get back on its feet by itself. I'm a member of a variety of forums, with both more and less members than here, and as long as people post and are active the community stays vibrant, updated and busy.